Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

GRX DI2 vs Sram AXS wide for a new bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GRX DI2 vs Sram AXS wide for a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 12:45 AM
lascabezas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GRX DI2 vs Sram Force AXS wide for a new bike

Hello, I am going to buy a gravel bike, I have been doing road ciclyng for the last years. The groupset options are Shimano GRX DI2 x 2 o Sram Force AXS Wide.

What do you guys think is better choice for gravel riding? any pros and cons?

Last edited by lascabezas; 10-31-20 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 03:40 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by lascabezas
Hello, I am going to buy a gravel bike, I have been doing road ciclyng for the last years. The groupset options are Shimano GRX DI2 x 2 o Sram Force AXS Wide.

They're both top tier groupsets that are perfectly fine for gravel. Do they each come on the same frame? Or two different bikes?
Old 11-02-20, 06:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
I'm partial to 2X for gravel riding, mostly as you often have time to setup shifts, thus the additional gearing on a 2X is more useful. I like my 1X on a mt. bike for tight ST where it's up/down all day. My typical gravel riding is not like that, YMMV.

They are both good systems, GRX Di2 might be cheaper and it's a top notch system. I have Ultegra Di2 on my go fast road bike and an XT Di2 1X system on my HT, they are great systems.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-02-20, 11:33 PM
lascabezas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
They're both top tier groupsets that are perfectly fine for gravel. Do they each come on the same frame? Or two different bikes?
They would be for the Canyon Grail.

It seems that the GRX Di2 levers are a great design for specific gravel riding, you seem to get more brake and shifting control in general from the hoods. On the other hand, Sram has 12 speeds plus somo other differences. I will narrow down to these:

-GRX levers (originally designed for gravel riding) vs. Force AXS levers (originally designed for road use)

-GRX rear derailleur clutch vs Force AXS orbit fluid damper. These are the chain retention systems, which one works better?

-GRX 11 speed vs Force 12 speed

-GRX gear (48/31 with 11-34) vs. Force gear (43/30 with 10-36)
Old 11-03-20, 06:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Since they operate a bit differently, you might just want to ride them, and then make a decision.
Old 11-03-20, 08:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'll always vote for 2x, at least for the riding that I do. I'm a di2 fan in general, and all of the reviews I've seen say that the GRX di2 shifters have the best ergonomics of any brand/style. I'll be upgrading to GRX di2, if the parts ever arrive. lol
Old 11-05-20, 07:04 AM
Tsafur

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few gravel bikes with DI2 and a few gravel bikes with AXS.

Di2 is very good. Shifting is superior. Brakes very good.

AXS is good. Shifting is way slower and a bit clunky. Brakes are very good.

Reason for 3 of my gravel bikes being built with AXS was because I wanted 12 speed. I also like a 10t for low gear.
Old 11-05-20, 09:23 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
So, both are 2x? I think people here often assume SRAM is 1x.
I don't have direct experience, but Shimano seems to have really nailed the 2x thing.

I'm very very leery of a 10t cog; using a 10t for a low gear is going to cause a lot of wear and tear if you are really putting power down - anything below 14T starts to get iffy if you are really using the gear hard).

But, if you want a lot more info, you can listen to this (Campy, SRAM, Shimano discussion): https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/nerd...-house-brands/

or if that is not enough: https://www.velonews.com/gear/gravel...lly-necessary/
Old 11-05-20, 06:59 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
ppl assume SRAM is 1x because SRAM never bothered to fix their FD chaindrops
Old 11-06-20, 06:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have heard that they fixed their FD issues years ago now
Old 11-06-20, 09:16 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have heard that they fixed their FD issues years ago now
ppl are still having problems with the new AXS
Old 11-08-20, 11:00 PM
lascabezas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsafur
I have a few gravel bikes with DI2 and a few gravel bikes with AXS.

Di2 is very good. Shifting is superior. Brakes very good.

AXS is good. Shifting is way slower and a bit clunky. Brakes are very good.

Reason for 3 of my gravel bikes being built with AXS was because I wanted 12 speed. I also like a 10t for low gear.
Thanks, What would be the benefit of 12 speed in your opnion?
Old 12-07-20, 04:40 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
GRX all the way. Trust me. Check out my build video where I talk about the GRX a bit more when I built my gravel bike. Everything about them is great from ergonomics to style to shifting.

Old 12-10-20, 03:11 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
[QUOTE=illjustride;21822670]GRX all the way. Trust me. Check out my build video where I talk about the GRX a bit more when I built my gravel bike. Everything about them is great from ergonomics to style to shifting.
/QUOTE]

+1. I'm all SRAM 1x mechanical for my mountain bikes (2 Eagle and one 11speed) and love it. I was figuring on going SRAM for gravel but I demo'd GRX 2x on gravel bike and bought it with GRX 2x Di2 (48/31-11/34). Can't recommended it more highly for the application, recommend each of GRX, and 2x and Di2 -- they are each perfect for gravel and in combination superb.
Likes For xseal:
Old 12-15-20, 09:02 AM
lascabezas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot
Old 04-09-21, 08:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by lascabezas

Lots of good pros and cons already mentioned. I've been doing a deep dive lately. One major difference is that the di2 GRX doesn't have an approved way of going lower than 31x34 while the Axs ETap wide is 30x36 plus the option of going lower. That may or may not be an issue for most riders.

The di2 GRX has some "unapproved" workarounds, but no easy way to swap out the RD to allow a larger cassette cog PLUS the additional chain wrap needed with a double crank. The rear derailleurs - GRX or XT - that have a larger cog spec don't have a larger wrap spec to go along with it.

The ETap wide not only comes standard with a significantly lower gear, you can swap a Sram mtb RD with both larger cog and wrap capacities and those swaps are officially supported.

That's just one factor not applicable to everyone, and with possible unofficial workarounds. Could be no big deal at all, but seems short sighted for a supposedly dedicated "gravel" group. The workarounds probably work ok, but is "ok" acceptable when the di2 shifting should be absolutely perfect?
Old 04-10-21, 03:36 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Lots of good pros and cons already mentioned. I've been doing a deep dive lately. One major difference is that the di2 GRX doesn't have an approved way of going lower than 31x34 while the Axs ETap wide is 30x36 plus the option of going lower. That may or may not be an issue for most riders.

The di2 GRX has some "unapproved" workarounds, but no easy way to swap out the RD to allow a larger cassette cog PLUS the additional chain wrap needed with a double crank. The rear derailleurs - GRX or XT - that have a larger cog spec don't have a larger wrap spec to go along with it.

The ETap wide not only comes standard with a significantly lower gear, you can swap a Sram mtb RD with both larger cog and wrap capacities and those swaps are officially supported.

That's just one factor not applicable to everyone, and with possible unofficial workarounds. Could be no big deal at all, but seems short sighted for a supposedly dedicated "gravel" group. The workarounds probably work ok, but is "ok" acceptable when the di2 shifting should be absolutely perfect?
You're going to get lots of opinions on that last question. As a long time user of Di2, I tend to be quite leery of going way beyond the specs...a little bit, fine, the stuff is engineered and spec'd conservatively...but way beyond? It can be made to work, and plenty of folks have come here with personal anecdotes of doing so using RD hanger extenders and such. As you point out, those are workarounds permitting a bigger low cog but the chain wrap or capacity is still what it is. So, yeah, I haven't answered your question, except to say, I wouldn't try to go way outside the spec like run a 42t low cog on the cassette. I'm less familiar with SRAM stuff, though I do use a SRAM CF crank (branded as Quarq) with a Quarq PM, and 1x X-Sync chainring for a variety of reasons that all come together to put me on that crank, and I like it...a lot...along with the DUB BB.

That said...have you compared the actual gearing rations and development? If not, try this gear calculator. Look at the gearing of the Shimano 46/30 crankset with the largest spec'd 11/11-34 cassette, then compare it to the 11/11-36 SRAM (slightly beyond spec, but will certainly work fine). You can get the same low gear as the SRAM using a SRAM 11/11-36 cassette on a Shimano HG free hub, and effectively the same top gear with a 46x11 as the SRAM 43x10 (the SRAM is only slightly taller).

Something else to consider...as mentioned above: brakes. Yes, Shimano and SRAM brakes generally work about the same, though some folks claim the Shimano's are more on/off. I don't buy it, I've ridden both on the road and gravel, and find both to function about the same. The difference is setup and bleeding, the process for SRAM is more involved, where Shimano's is simpler and faster...my experience, not a fact.