Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where To Ride - Vermont Has 8,000 Miles Of Dirt

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 08:00 PM
vermonttandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vermont has 8,000 miles of dirt roads...we only have 6,000 miles of pavement but we have 8,000 miles of dirt...!! I know, hard to believe for such a small state but that's the official word from the Dept of Transportation. I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to them as gravel roads ...it's always been dirt. I think that the terms Gravel grinders is a new term making use of alliteration more than anything...everyone I ride with or who is into biking has an old rigid that has been set aside for what is generally referred to as dirt road cruising. Anyway, Good term, great way to get out and about... Oh yea, In addition to those dirt roads we also have tons of dirt third class or abandoned town roads and private logging roads.....So come up to Vermont for miles and miles and miles of gravel or dirt...
Old 11-10-20, 08:02 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Why are you sharing this ?. It’s been one of the best kept secrets about New England.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-10-20, 08:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Iowa has over 72,000 miles of gravel and level b unmaintained roads.
...I assume this is the thread for posting up unpaved road miles in your state. I bet texas wins.
Old 11-10-20, 08:40 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
One small problem with Vermont is that Ted King lives there, and he takes all the KOM's every time he leaves the house.
Likes For zen_:
Old 11-11-20, 07:24 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by vermonttandem
Vermont has 8,000 miles of dirt roads...
Sounds like a great opportunity for the state to attract tourism dollars. The key is to have lots of routes identified along with services that are needed for visitors. The lack of this is a big hurdle for someone starting from scratch.

As an example..google "Trempealeau biking routes" or "tour de chequamegon". The roads exist, and have for decades, but identifying favorable routes are a huge leg-up for anyone planning a trip to an unknown area. (Speaking from experience, I plan plenty of trips to unknown areas..)

(Qualifier: I haven't searched for info available regarding Vermont dirt/gravel riding..this may be addressed already..)

Last edited by fishboat; 11-11-20 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-20, 08:44 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Here in Oklahoma we have always called them gravel roads AND dirt roads - interchangeably - cyclists or not. So I don't think gravel grinding is all that strange of a name.
Likes For shoota:
Old 11-11-20, 01:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Iowa has over 72,000 miles of gravel and level b unmaintained roads.
...I assume this is the thread for posting up unpaved road miles in your state. I bet texas wins.
Yeah, but I'd bet that Iowa does not have a wonderful general store at like every intersection. Vermont has hundreds, it's remarkable. (this is all in fun).
Old 11-11-20, 05:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
PA comes in at over 25,000 miles of luscious gravel, some of it much older than dirt. We keep our gravel around for a long time so it gets nice and rounded to reduce flats. I have cycled about 3,000 of those miles so far, so still have quite a long way left to go...
Old 11-12-20, 08:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yeah, but I'd bet that Iowa does not have a wonderful general store at like every intersection. Vermont has hundreds, it's remarkable. (this is all in fun).
Give Casey's General Stores a few years to keep pushing east and every small town in New England will have one. They arent at every intersection, but the fact that they are seemingly in every town I ride thru is a godsend when it comes to route planning. You are never more than 10mi from a Casey's. <---that should be their motto.

I had plans to ride in 3 other states this year...hopefully next year isnt a bust. The sand hills of north Nebraska, the Black Hills of South Dakota, and the backwoods of Missouri.
Experiencing different areas is a blast- maybe one of my kids will get into Dartmouth or Middlebury and Ill get to ride some out there someday.
Old 11-12-20, 02:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
We call them snowmobile trails for about half the year. ;-)
Old 11-12-20, 10:23 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Give Casey's General Stores a few years to keep pushing east and every small town in New England will have one. They arent at every intersection, but the fact that they are seemingly in every town I ride thru is a godsend when it comes to route planning. You are never more than 10mi from a Casey's. <---that should be their motto.

I had plans to ride in 3 other states this year...hopefully next year isnt a bust. The sand hills of north Nebraska, the Black Hills of South Dakota, and the backwoods of Missouri.
Experiencing different areas is a blast- maybe one of my kids will get into Dartmouth or Middlebury and Ill get to ride some out there someday.
I have done the Black Hills and had a great time there... Plan for hot, dry, some hail and quite a vigorous beer thirst!
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 11-17-20, 01:37 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Sounds like a great opportunity for the state to attract tourism dollars. The key is to have lots of routes identified along with services that are needed for visitors. The lack of this is a big hurdle for someone starting from scratch.
That's a great point - both Maine and NH DOTs have lists of curated cycling routes (or tours, in ME's case). I have done 3 of NH's official routes and they're pretty good.

VT does have lots of dirt roads but sometimes it can all just look the same. Then again, I have only done D2R2 up there (but would love to ride around the Stowe area).
Ted King does have some wicked awesome looking loops on his Strava page.
Old 11-17-20, 08:21 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Love VT gravel ... but dang if those 8,000 miles of dirt are all uphill!

But, also love chilling at a small town VT general store for a rest stop.