Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 11-25-20, 07:36 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13643 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

‘Tis the season for fenders.
Yup
Old 11-25-20, 08:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
We could empty a bottle of whiskey sharing those stories.
With me it's just one story.

She's pre-pissed at problem, I agree to help with problem. I get a vertiginous glimpse of hell in the form of directory chaos, hopelessly confused duplicate accounts, passwords on sticky notes, and thousands of junk files. I get impatient, she gets pissed at me.

The strangest thing is that she has a PhD from MIT, wrote her thesis in Emacs on a VT100 connected to a PDP11 via a 1200 baud modem, bought a Mac in 1984, was the most IT savvy of all her partners, and still fixes their problems.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-25-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 08:27 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,228 Posts
Currently not impressed by my brain for getting really interested in radio control model sailplanes during the season least suited to flying them

Last edited by abshipp; 11-25-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 08:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've been making some test pieces in the shop, working out the kinks in the process and getting familiar with the capabilities and limitations of the available tools, but have been frustrated by some lousy fitting tongue and grooves coming off of the router table. After looking a little more closely, I noticed that the tongues on the rails, in particular, were a little wonky and skewed - I'd set up the cutters so that the tongue was a 1/4" from the face side of the piece, but it'd be 1/4" on one side and skewed to 5/16" or so on the other

Last spring, I'd set up the table and mounting plate so that it was nice and flat, but these results were pretty ****ty, so I got out a straight edge to re-check. Everything looked fine as before... until I got to the opening in the mounting plate Yeah, the plate is flat at the leading and trailing edges, but there's a dip in the middle of the plate, right where you wouldn't want it, right at the cutter, and it's a good 1/16 or so. Longer, bigger pieces don't dip in to that low spot, but the shorter 1 1/2" rails were dipping in as they were pushed through.

Oh well, at least I know, now. Not sure how I'll proceed, though. Buy a replacement that might also be wonky? Flatten the one that I have with some elbow grease and lots of sand paper? Make my own table?!
Old 11-25-20, 08:45 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've been making some test pieces in the shop, working out the kinks in the process and getting familiar with the capabilities and limitations of the available tools, but have been frustrated by some lousy fitting tongue and grooves coming off of the router table. After looking a little more closely, I noticed that the tongues on the rails, in particular, were a little wonky and skewed - I'd set up the cutters so that the tongue was a 1/4" from the face side of the piece, but it'd be 1/4" on one side and skewed to 5/16" or so on the other

Last spring, I'd set up the table and mounting plate so that it was nice and flat, but these results were pretty ****ty, so I got out a straight edge to re-check. Everything looked fine as before... until I got to the opening in the mounting plate Yeah, the plate is flat at the leading and trailing edges, but there's a dip in the middle of the plate, right where you wouldn't want it, right at the cutter, and it's a good 1/16 or so. Longer, bigger pieces don't dip in to that low spot, but the shorter 1 1/2" rails were dipping in as they were pushed through.

Oh well, at least I know, now. Not sure how I'll proceed, though. Buy a replacement that might also be wonky? Flatten the one that I have with some elbow grease and lots of sand paper? Make my own table?!
yes.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-25-20, 08:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts

Asked and answered.

Good catch on the imperfection.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 11-25-20, 08:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
With me it's just one story.

She's pre-pissed at problem, I agree to help with problem. I get a vertiginous glimpse of hell in the form of directory chaos, hopelessly confused duplicate accounts, passwords on sticky notes, and thousands of junk files. I get impatient, she gets pissed at me.

The strangest thing is that she has a PhD from MIT, wrote her thesis in Emacs on a VT100 connected to a PDP11 via a 1200 baud modem, bought a Mac in 1984, was the most IT savvy of all her partners, and still fixes their problems.
Much the same here, except for the MIT part and fixing other people's problems.

Plus, while we have a TV system with a universal remote that has simple buttons for things like "Watch TV", "Watch Internet" and the like, it seems that every time she touches the thing it gets all screwed up. The common refrain in the house is "don't let mom touch the remote!" Computers are a whole nother story.
Old 11-25-20, 08:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Anyone feeling snarky?

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-25-20, 09:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
Asked and answered.
I'm sure that I'll move on from this table some time, but it'll be an investment when I do, either time and money or a lot of money. Not sure that I'm ready for that right now, but I might feel different after a little grinding on this mounting plate... the good news is that it's aluminum and not something more resistant to abrasion. Maybe I'll just give it a few minutes on the sandpaper to asses how bad the high/low spots are and go from there.

Ugh. I can't wait to work on projects instead of working on the shop.
Old 11-25-20, 09:21 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I regret to inform that, contrary to all common sense and the laws of nature, for the reasons stated above, I shall journey to Ohio tomorrow.

That's as dumb as gravel riding.
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you would just say no.

Old 11-25-20, 09:27 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Plough plane

Old 11-25-20, 09:29 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

And now I must head out to the wood shop

Old 11-25-20, 09:31 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Plough plane
I have one. If I'm going to do a whole kitchen's worth of cabinets (and that is still up in the air at this point [we might move]), I want the router table set up properly.
Old 11-25-20, 09:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Much the same here, except for the MIT part and fixing other people's problems.

Plus, while we have a TV system with a universal remote that has simple buttons for things like "Watch TV", "Watch Internet" and the like, it seems that every time she touches the thing it gets all screwed up. The common refrain in the house is "don't let mom touch the remote!" Computers are a whole nother story.
Ah, well. I’m sure both have their areas of clear superiority.
Old 11-25-20, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Thanksgiving plans with my folks and my brother were abruptly cancelled last night.

My aunt was going to have an elective surgery in the Chicago area () this week so they came up and stayed with my parents over the weekend. Aunt had COVID like symptoms a week and a half ago but tested negative. Before the surgery she was tested again and it looks like that first test was a false negative.

I've been wondering how close this virus was going to get to me. Too close for any reasonable comfort ATMO.
Neighbors down the street tested positive on Saturday. Mrs. GeneJockey goes over to visit there every other day or so, but always masked, distanced, and outdoors. She put together a timeline for our PCP of possible exposures, who said she's most likely fine, but could get tested, and could quarantine for a few days, just for comfort. So, I'm sleeping in the guest room. Thanksgiving will be weird.

Apparently, she went over on Thursday, even though the wife wasn't feeling well. I was, as you might expect, a bit surprised and displeased by this. She said, "People get sick of other things", but she knew it was weak tea.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-25-20, 10:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ah, well. I’m sure both have their areas of clear superiority.
I'm sure they do.

I'm sure my spouse tells her friends stories about me in the same vein.
Old 11-25-20, 10:30 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by genejockey
Neighbors down the street tested positive on Saturday. Mrs. GeneJockey goes over to visit there every other day or so, but always masked, distanced, and outdoors. She put together a timeline for our PCP of possible exposures, who said she's most likely fine, but could get tested, and could quarantine for a few days, just for comfort. So, I'm sleeping in the guest room. Thanksgiving will be weird.

Apparently, she went over on Thursday, even though the wife wasn't feeling well. I was, as you might expect, a bit surprised and displeased by this. She said, "People get sick of other things", but she knew it was weak tea.
Seems like the person that my parents were exposed to was asymptomatic for at least a week, maybe a week plus a half, but they did stay in their house for two days.

My brother briefly visited my parents yesterday for maybe 5 minutes, I think he should be okay. But he is also high-risk so there's always some worry.

One curious suggestion while talking to my parents last night was that we come by and pick up all the things they had bought for tomorrows scheduled meal, including a fresh turkey, and make it ourselves.

They know that we are only two people who don't really eat a lot of meat anyways, and they suggest that we just go all in and cook a full traditional Thanksgiving meal

I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if you gave me a turkey and told me to cook it.
Old 11-25-20, 10:33 AM
WhyFi

Seems like the person that my parents were exposed to was asymptomatic for at least a week, maybe a week plus a half, but they did stay in their house for two days.

My brother briefly visited my parents yesterday for maybe 5 minutes, I think he should be okay. But he is also high-risk so there's always some worry.

One curious suggestion while talking to my parents last night was that we come by and pick up all the things they had bought for tomorrows scheduled meal, including a fresh turkey, and make it ourselves.

They know that we are only two people who don't really eat a lot of meat anyways, and they suggest that we just go all in and cook a full traditional Thanksgiving meal

I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do if you gave me a turkey and told me to cook it.
Well, you could at least help them out a little and take home the pie, right?

On that note - my pie crust just got done with the blind baking. Going to have the girl help me with the filling shortly, and hope that it's not too much of a mess.
Old 11-25-20, 10:46 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13643 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I wouldn’t even know where to look. Bike came with a way to mount them. Prolly won’t make the effort this year.
Low-cost, low-effort option for keeping your backside dry.

Mucky Nutz - Mudguards, Custom Fenders & Frame Protection for Mountain Bikes | MTB | DH | Enduro | XC | Fat Bike | Road Bike
Old 11-25-20, 11:22 AM
Mojo31
-------

Cook the turkey!

It's not hard. Clean the bird and empty the junk out of the cavity (throw it away unless you want it for something). Stuff the cavity with chopped apple, opinion, celery, and any herbs you might want. You can also change that up to give you a flavor that appeals to you. Brush the outside with olive oil, and sprinkle with ground sea salt and ground coarse pepper. Or, you can rub with any number of things depending on the flavor you want.

Preheat oven to 350.

Put the bird in a roasting pan. When oven is at temp, but the bird in. Use an oven probe in the thigh, and set an alarm for 165 degrees. Some say to tent it with foil to help keep it moist, others don't. If you do, remove the tent about 1/2 hour before it is done (about 155 degrees) to help the breast skin brown. If the leg freely turns in its socket, then the bird is done.

Can't comment on stuffing as that's not my thing.

I've been the turkey cooker in the family for 25 years. I usually smoke them, and if we are having a large group will do several all seasoned and flavored differently. Some that I do fairly consistently are lemon/herb, Cajun spiced with butter injection (my wife is from Louisiana), bourbon brined, and some others that I just make up as I go depending on what's in the house. For smoke flavor I'll use mainly apple with poultry, but have also used hickory, cherry, and mesquite depending on the desired outcome.

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-25-20 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-25-20, 11:43 AM
abshipp 

Cook the turkey!
But then I would be left with a cooked turkey which I wouldn't know what to do with.

And all the dishes.
Old 11-25-20, 11:44 AM
WhyFi

Hey Bah Humbug - Seattle Coffee Gear has the Eureka Mignon Crono grinder on sale for $199 (reg $379), if you still have someone shopping for a grinder for you. I haven't looked at reviews, but Eureka is well regarded and I'd imagine it's a good machine.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-20, 12:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

But then I would be left with a cooked turkey which I wouldn't know what to do with.

And all the dishes.
I think your mom wants you to cook it and then take it back to her so she can eat it.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-25-20, 12:04 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
We're going veg this Thanksgiving. Mrs. LAJ is veg, and I found a joint that will do a whole vegetarian take out. Should be interesting.
Old 11-25-20, 12:11 PM
abshipp 

I think your mom wants you to cook it and then take it back to her so she can eat it.
Possibly.

I'd probably ruin it though.

#notgoodatcookingmeat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.