Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long sleeve shirt for 45F to 65F cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Long sleeve shirt for 45F to 65F cycling

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 10:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Dunno about the current colors, but this is great- comfy to 40 or lower, and you won't melt if it hits 70.

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1T101IV

Last edited by woodcraft; 11-28-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 03:26 PM
chrissroger9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg
My short answer is to study the sites of cycle clothing purveyors and buy what covers your likely temperature and weather conditions. Most outfits cover a wide range. Don’t fear layering as modern stuff is ultra thin and can likely fit in a jersey pocket. My longer rambling answer follows if you care...

Having returned to cycling after a long hiatus, I’ve studied and purchased new clothing. I’m impressed with how tight, thin and functional modern cycling clothing is. I followed a tip from this site to Pactimo, a purveyor of good cycle wear with what I found to have helpful descriptions and loads of reviews. At first I couldn’t believe these micro thin garments could possibly shed cool, cold, wet... My first purchases were illuminating and I’m a convert to modern cycle specific wear.

Mind you, I’m an old climber who’s been on rock walls in 90 degrees and icey night-time perches in minus 35 in days when wicking wear was wool, angora if you had some bucks, and I still have the first iterations of goretex and fleece (looks and smells like a yak). So, I could cobble an ensemble like cyberpunk leather jackets of functional gear on the cheap that will work well...but being fortunate enough and willing to spend for stuff designed specifically for riding in various weather/temperatures isn’t a bad thing. With layering, it won’t take much to cover a huge range.
this is a great option. thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-20, 04:50 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Merino Wool baselayer, Jersey, and Windproof jacket. That should work.
Old 11-18-20, 07:46 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Chrissroger9, why the false attribution (the last paragraph of my post that you “quoted” was modified)? If to make fun of an old man rant “that in my day we...and we LIKED it”, I’ll own it. Call me out but false attributions....no. I figure you know that and that it was not your first post.

Now back you your regularly scheduled program.
Old 11-18-20, 02:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Yesterday at 11C it was just barely enough.

Go Bears!
Old 11-20-20, 09:32 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't think that any of my long sleeve jerseys are too thin for 50°-55°. With a (short sleeve) base layer and gloves, my arms are fine. Under 50 I usually want one of the thicker ones, especially if I'm going to be out for longer than an hour.

You absolutely don't have to spend more for higher quality, to stay warm. Layer up.
Old 11-21-20, 12:56 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Darn!
I have the perfect long sleeve shirt but it is only for 41F to 44F, sorry.
Old 11-25-20, 03:50 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
I use a snug fitting thermal long sleeve pull over under my wool jersey. I did an Eroica event a few years ago in Paso Robles California and it was 38 f at the start and I was fine. I think when we finished it may have been 70f and I was not overheated. If I feel cold when I step outside I have a Merino wool cycling coat that is branded Raleigh, but most of the time I end up taking it off and tying it around my waist. I am fairly cold sensitive since my thyroid quit working a number of years ago.
Old 11-25-20, 07:26 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
woolen sweater, and wind shirt.
Old 11-26-20, 05:49 PM
glenncz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I wear a short sleeve jersey with a long sleeve wind-breaker.
What Bobby said. You need a windbreaker below 55F over jersey or tshirt.
Small fanny pack if it needs to come off. Then you need a long sleeve jersey at times too.
If looking to save $ check AliExpress, some definite cycling bargains, but be very careful about sizing and it could take a month to come, but that's half the fun!
Old 11-27-20, 08:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by glenncz
What Bobby said. You need a windbreaker below 55F over jersey or tshirt.
Small fanny pack if it needs to come off. Then you need a long sleeve jersey at times too.
If looking to save $ check AliExpress, some definite cycling bargains, but be very careful about sizing and it could take a month to come, but that's half the fun!
Or, just a small bungee cord...
Old 11-28-20, 09:53 AM
cfbiker

Bikes: Vintage Gios Torino Super Record, 2018 Fuji Touring, Brooks B17 Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my latest favorite...

I'm in Florida and recently started wearing the long sleeve 'Professional Fishing Gear' shirts from Columbia outfitters. yup, definitely not something you see very often, if at all, but before you start laughing this is how I rationalized the decision...

the shirts provide full coverage, collar and long sleeves that can be rolled up
they are vented in the back between the shoulder blades so the shirt doesn't balloon up like a parachute
they have an SPF rating of 50 so I can skip the suncreeen
they have pockets where I can store the sunglasses if the trail gets really shaded
they come in lots of colors including hi optic yellow but I prefer light blue
they are only $25-30 at the outlet mall or online...

they also have the dry-fit type shirts if you want something more traditional...
I have a couple of both...

next week when the expected high is 58 I might have to wear both!

www dot columbia dot com/c/mens-fishing-shirts/ no affiliation just a satisfied customer....

I also checked out the alternatives like Magellan from Academy but they are more expensive and the SPF rating isn't as high...
Old 11-29-20, 06:40 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Where I ride, it might start cold but the day usually warms. For 45 degrees to 60 I just wear solar sleeves (Pearl Izumi) & take them off above 65. for 35 to maybe 55 degrees I wear thermal arm warmers (such as Pearl Izumi again. My LBS carries this).
I don't prefer a long-sleeve base layer as they don't protect well & can be a bit flappy. If you go that route, avoid cotton; they just gets damp and wicks away heat
Old 11-30-20, 04:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
This is the temp range I find a wool long sleeve jersey to be perfect for and is what I use every winter season in desert AZ. Perfect from 40 to 65F. Workable from 35 to 70F.