Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 08:38 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I always get songs stuck in my head.
Thanks to all the political signs that have been up the last few months, one particularly annoying earworm of mine has been to the tune of the O'Reilly Auto Parts jingle, except instead of the name of the store it's "Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe Biden..."
Old 12-02-20, 08:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Rumour on the Twitters has it that Aldo Moser passed away RIP

Old 12-02-20, 08:42 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Confirmation:

https://www.oasport.it/2020/12/cicli...ni-aldo-moser/
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I've entertained the idea of some bone-conducting headphones for listening to podcasts, but overall I don't feel like I'm missing out. A few months ago after a 200k my mother asked me "What do you think about on those long rides?" I just replied with the first thing that came to mind which was "nothing, really". It kind of surprised me when I thought about it after the fact, I really don't think about much at all when I'm out on a bike. I get some weird little thought loops but it's not like I'm contemplating the nature of the universe or anything deep like that.

My favorite bike noise is when the Trek gets up to speed, the 38mm tires and the handlebar bag start resonating really nicely
Yeah, sometimes when I set out, I'll sort though things mentally for a bit, but I'll eventually settle in to the nothingness and just be in the moment; it's nice and I think a regular dose of that is a necessary decompression tool. That said, riding conditions aren't always so pleasant this time of year, and I'm thinking that a little distraction from the moment might not be a bad thing. I guess I'll see.
Likes For WhyFi:
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
It was considered. When a water heater goes south, it's never at a time where we can say "Let's call a plumber and electrician and get that baby installed". It's 8 pm on a Tuesday night, and the first thing you do is drive to the Borg and get a new one, along with Sharkbite's n stuff, then figure out how you're going to get that dog in there. Plus, if I had unlimited hot water, our water bill would be north of $300.00 a month.
We switched to tankless after running out of hot water a few times in our current house. Both kids were teens and living us, and would drain the tanks like there was no tomorrow. When we made the switch, there were tax credits available for installing energy efficient equipment that made the deal a no-brainer. We have two, and we can run all of the showers, dishwasher, and washing machine at the same time without ever loosing hot water. It really comes into play when we have guests staying with us.

Unfortunately, we are no strangers to $300+ water bills, but that is typically from the sprinklers working to keep our yard alive in the summer.
Old 12-02-20, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I always get songs stuck in my head.
That sometimes happens to me. Most of the time, I'm okay with it, but sometimes I need to push the pace to drive it out.
Old 12-02-20, 08:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Different kind of resonance; hard to describe.
I don't know if mine is high zoot, but will have to listen and compare. I do know that my bike is incredibly quite when it is properly set up.
Old 12-02-20, 08:49 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I don't know if mine is high zoot, but will have to listen and compare. I do know that my bike is incredibly quite when it is properly set up.
You have those new Bontragers, yeah? Nice wheels.

It'll depend on multiple factors: road surface, tires, rim depth, etc, and they often don't sing until you get up to speed.
Old 12-02-20, 08:56 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Check out the double barrel launch ramp! Pro cycling coverage needs to add orchestration like this for broadcasts. What kinda big cogs are they running? Looks like 17T big cogs, or thereabouts.

Old 12-02-20, 09:01 AM
Mojo31
-------

You have those new Bontragers, yeah? Nice wheels.

It'll depend on multiple factors: road surface, tires, rim depth, etc, and they often don't sing until you get up to speed.
Yes, the Pro 37, not the high zoot sets. Tires are the OEM R1s. They are every bit as good as I can use and most likely much better. The fastest I've gone on them is about 28 mph, but wasn't really listening. Was more focused on road hazards so as not to kill myself.
Old 12-02-20, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Yes, the Pro 37, not the high zoot sets. Tires are the OEM R1s. They are every bit as good as I can use and most likely much better. The fastest I've gone on them is about 28 mph, but wasn't really listening. Was more focused on road hazards so as not to kill myself.
Noooo. Better tires are better tires. Roll faster, more comfy, better grip, etc, etc. Ask around - good tires are one of the best BFTBs for the buck when it comes to the bike.
Old 12-02-20, 09:11 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Go tankless. Never run out of hot water again.
I just replaced a water heater and for all of the electrical work, plumbing work etc it didn’t seem worth the money when the one we have probably will only cost about $100 a year to run.
Old 12-02-20, 09:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Noooo. Better tires are better tires. Roll faster, more comfy, better grip, etc, etc. Ask around - good tires are one of the best BFTBs for the buck when it comes to the bike.
can confirm
Old 12-02-20, 09:13 AM
WhyFi

Lens is out for delivery.

Sometime between now and, oh... 9pm. Gee, thanks for that narrow window on the signature-required delivery, UPS.
Old 12-02-20, 09:20 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
I can't remember for the life of me where I got my little chunk of quartz, but it was incredibly useful in a few guitar fret levelings I did, as well as when I epoxied the fingerboard on my fretless bass.
Woodworking shops will carry chunks of flat granite for sharpening purposes, but they're often thicker than necessary and pretty expensive. You can supposedly get off-cuts from kitchen counters for cheap/free, and they're usually as flat as you need them to be for precision sharpening, but I've never looked in to it. Mine was from a guy on NextDoor that was doing a bathroom remodel and didn't want to throw it out (it's ~4' x 2' - I've been meaning to make in to an assembly/sharpening table for forever... soon, though... soon).
Old 12-02-20, 09:34 AM
Mojo31
-------

Poor writing on my part. I was referring to the wheel set. I agree on the tires, but haven't decided on what to switch to.

On my other bike, I switched from the OEM to the Conti 4-Seasons, and immediately noticed the difference.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-02-20, 09:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Joking about the pizza. I am so grateful to have found a group that’s generally faster than I yet 100% inclusive and willing to tolerate me. It has done great things for my strength and fitness very late in life and they’ll have to wait less next season.
It's rare to encounter an individual like this. In 31 years of riding with a large road club I've always found acceptance and encouragement from nearly everyone. I have always gone with the "A" groups and have never been the fastest. Many times, especially my last couple years on the job, I was the slowest in the hills. Nobody ever gave me crap about it or asked me to stay away.
This guy is a relative newcomer and has started riding with some of my friends this year since club rides were canceled. I've been friendly to him but I could tell he didn't want me there last Saturday.
Old 12-02-20, 09:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I just replaced a water heater and for all of the electrical work, plumbing work etc it didn’t seem worth the money when the one we have probably will only cost about $100 a year to run.
We already had the gas lines and other things in place, so there was no added cost. We were driven by the tax credits available at the time. It actually cost less to do the tankless than it would have to replace the tank types. We did it purely for the luxury of not having to worry about hot water. It was a "want" and not a "need." We've had them for about 8 or 9 years now, and no ragrets.
Old 12-02-20, 09:42 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Same here. My group can leave me in the dust, but don't. There are times when I have to really work to keep up, and sometimes I drop before they are done, but they keep calling for me to come out. And I am 10 - 20 years older than the others.
This has generally been my experience except when I was younger I had good endurance late and would surprise people who thought they could hammer me all day.
Old 12-02-20, 09:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's rare to encounter an individual like this. In 31 years of riding with a large road club I've always found acceptance and encouragement from nearly everyone. I have always gone with the "A" groups and have never been the fastest. Many times, especially my last couple years on the job, I was the slowest in the hills. Nobody ever gave me crap about it or asked me to stay away.
This guy is a relative newcomer and has started riding with some of my friends this year since club rides were canceled. I've been friendly to him but I could tell he didn't want me there last Saturday.
Yeah, my experience too and back in my racing days the group I struggled to hang with often had local elites taking it easy and a former national road champ as a regular. The goal was always to have fun.
Old 12-02-20, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

I could see being frustrated if the group was regularly waiting on one person in particular, but that doesn't seem to be the case, here, so he should just stuff it.

Beyond that, though, and I can only speak of my own club, groups are often more than just a collection of people that ride together. Even within a fairly well-matched group, there's an ebb and flow and some people will be faster some years, slower others. When someone starts lagging, usually because they've been kept out of the saddle by life, we will, at the very least, regroup. Often, we'll dial it back after we've had a chance to burn some matches. Sometimes, we'll dial it back and shelter someone if they're really hurting.

That and there's also different expectations for different rides - the pace is pushed on Wed, whereas weekends are usually longer, easier rides, but with some taking it upon themselves to go for town signs, etc.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-02-20, 10:13 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

We already had the gas lines and other things in place, so there was no added cost. We were driven by the tax credits available at the time. It actually cost less to do the tankless than it would have to replace the tank types. We did it purely for the luxury of not having to worry about hot water. It was a "want" and not a "need." We've had them for about 8 or 9 years now, and no ragrets.
The real decider for us was that they generally only last about 5-10 years in this area. We have a lot of sand in our water. The water company wells are all in the same sandy soil we have in our yard. It’s clean and pollutant free, but just a touch sandy. The water heater we replaced was 1/3 full of sand. Apparently it eats up the on demand heaters.
Old 12-02-20, 10:22 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
The real decider for us was that they generally only last about 5-10 years in this area. We have a lot of sand in our water. The water company wells are all in the same sandy soil we have in our yard. It’s clean and pollutant free, but just a touch sandy. The water heater we replaced was 1/3 full of sand. Apparently it eats up the on demand heaters.
We don't have such issues. The soils in this area are primarily clay types. Also, our water is municipality supplied, and it all comes from reservoirs. The only wells are on land that is not served by the municipalities.
Old 12-02-20, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
One of the ligaments in my thumb is detached and folded back. Total of three fractures in two different bones. Scheduling surgery for 12/14. Two months in a cast.

I won’t be wrapping Christmas presents.
Old 12-02-20, 10:32 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

We don't have such issues. The soils in this area are primarily clay types. Also, our water is municipality supplied, and it all comes from reservoirs. The only wells are on land that is not served by the municipalities.
We have “municipal” water, it’s just run by a private company. There’s a really strong aquifer here and most of our water is actually spring fed, treated minimally and stored in localized reservoirs.
Likes For phrantic09:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.