Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur: replacing only wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 06:10 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

The wheels of my 3.5 year old (about 10K miles) SRAM X3 rear derailleur are floppy: their bearings have worn out. The rest seems to be as good as new. I can replace it for $27 - why would I replace only the wheels instead? I remember ads for Bullseye wheels about 50 years ago, how much effort they saved over a 100 miles (equivalent to 100 feet of altitude was it?) - didn't make the sale to me. What's the nomenclature? Is one the pulley wheel, the other the jockey wheel? I think Bullseye called theirs pulley wheels.
Old 12-01-20, 07:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
Various reasons to only replace your rear der's pulleys. You like the rest of the der and the pulleys are worn out. You want the specific color the new ones are offered in. You have drunken the kool aid that brand X pulleys will let you climb an extra 20' over your next ride. I'm sure others have their reasons.

The X3 der is pretty entry level and one would think that their rate of wear might be quicker then the expensive stuff. So do check the der's overall condition. Are it's pivots still tight and not sloppy? Has rust frozen the limit screws yet?

BTW worn out chains will wear out pulleys faster then if the chain is kept in good condition. Andy
Old 12-01-20, 07:34 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Guide & Tension pulleys.
Old 12-02-20, 08:48 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
SRAM mightn't want you to replace the wheels.....

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ey-wheels.html
Old 12-02-20, 11:21 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You want the specific color the new ones are offered in.
Colors? Really?

You have drunken the kool aid that brand X pulleys will let you climb an extra 20' over your next ride.
Do you remember Bullseye pulleys? I think I saw them on a card in a bike shop as well as small display ads somewhere.

The X3 der is pretty entry level
They're the cheapest SRAM, nearly the cheapest overall, but they always work for me. I've bought only cheap SRAM, Shimano, and a few other brands. Other than lasting longer and being less frictive (probably too little for me to notice) what do you get in an expensive derailleur? How much longer could I expect it to last? I have a 34-tooth cog on the cassette and a 24-tooth chainring in the front, which limits my choices.

check the der's overall condition. Are it's pivots still tight and not sloppy? Has rust frozen the limit screws yet?
Pivot's okay, limit screws still move.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Guide & Tension pulleys.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by cobba
SRAM mightn't want you to replace the wheels.....
Thanks for the link. I hadn't looked. Had I found rivets I wouldn't even think about it. I've replaced rivets with screws on my pickup, but a new part would have cost a lot. Notice he calls them jockey wheels. Thought I had heard that term somewhere.
Old 12-02-20, 11:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
....Notice he calls them jockey wheels. Thought I had heard that term somewhere.
You'll hear it frequently by people that don't know the correct term.
Old 12-04-20, 07:23 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
hear from? spoken by? - in spending half my working life as an editor of different brands of English I have discovered there is nothing so unreliable as 'correct' or 'proper'

I use 'jockey wheels' when speaking about them as sets or just in plural generally. It is like with a manual transmission in a car when you know that one 'gear' may be nothing more than two shafts dog-clutched together.
Old 12-04-20, 08:14 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
They're the cheapest SRAM, nearly the cheapest overall, but they always work for me. I've bought only cheap SRAM, Shimano, and a few other brands. Other than lasting longer and being less frictive (probably too little for me to notice) what do you get in an expensive derailleur? How much longer could I expect it to last? I have a 34-tooth cog on the cassette and a 24-tooth chainring in the front, which limits my choices.
You get more cogs, less weight, and better materials which are more durable. How durable? I don't know... I never managed to wear a derailleur. My old mountain bike went through 5 or 6 jockey wheels and the RD was still working like new. That doesn't mean that a cheap RD can't work well though.

In any case, If I have to go cheap, I think Shimano is better engineered. Cheap SRAM derailleurs are generally crap IMHO with this and the SRAM SX being prime examples.

In any case, you already have it, and if it was mine i'd try to cut the rivet and replace it with a bolt before throwing it away. I don't like throwing things than can be repaired.
Old 12-04-20, 08:24 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Hehe,

Shimano uses Tension/Guide terminology...Some aftermarket 'upgrade' pulley makers use the Idler/Jockey nomenclature. I think SRAM just calls them 'pulleys'. Ceramic Speed uses 'upper' and 'lower'.
Old 12-04-20, 08:29 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Geepig
hear from? spoken by? - in spending half my working life as an editor of different brands of English I have discovered there is nothing so unreliable as 'correct' or 'proper'

I use 'jockey wheels' when speaking about them as sets or just in plural generally. It is like with a manual transmission in a car when you know that one 'gear' may be nothing more than two shafts dog-clutched together.
Don't care-
Ignore list
Old 12-04-20, 08:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Ceramic Speed uses 'upper' and 'lower'.
So does Campy.

BTW, the OP wore out his SRAM in 10K miles and asked; "..... what do you get in an expensive derailleur? How much longer could I expect it to last?" I have Shimano mid-level (105 and Ultegra) rear derailleurs with well over 40K miles and still working perfectly and a Campy Chorus with 33K that I retired for other reasons and am selling in "nearly new" condition. So, yes, more expensive rear derailleurs, within reason, do last a lot longer.
Old 12-04-20, 09:00 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
A better der will just work better overall and to a point can make a noticeable difference. Sealed bearing pulleys are faster, then bushing and iin a side to side comparison you can just notice the difference. After a few thousand miles of basic maintenance you will really notice the difference. As to life span, a good der should easily live 2-3x longer.
Old 12-05-20, 11:30 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Amt0571
You get more cogs, less weight, and better materials which are more durable. How durable? I don't know... I never managed to wear a derailleur. My old mountain bike went through 5 or 6 jockey wheels and the RD was still working like new.
I've never worn anything out but the wheels.
Originally Posted by HillRider
OP wore out his SRAM in 10K miles and asked; "..... what do you get in an expensive derailleur? How much longer could I expect it to last?" I have Shimano mid-level (105 and Ultegra) rear derailleurs with well over 40K miles and still working perfectly and a Campy Chorus with 33K that I retired for other reasons and am selling in "nearly new" condition. So, yes, more expensive rear derailleurs, within reason, do last a lot longer.
You answer my question: thanks. Many bicycle parts are a little lighter, which makes no difference to me; some are a tiny bit less frictive, which also doesn't matter to me, though both matter to performance cyclists.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A better der will just work better overall and to a point can make a noticeable difference. Sealed bearing pulleys are faster, then bushing and iin a side to side comparison you can just notice the difference. After a few thousand miles of basic maintenance you will really notice the difference. As to life span, a good der should easily live 2-3x longer.
I've been keeping records for the last 16 years, have gone through a few rear derailleurs, usually because they break. Once a plastic shopping flew into the mechanism, bending it into the spokes of the rear wheel; once someone t-boned me; once somebody bent it while it was parked... A good derailleur worth replacing the wheels/pulleys on may have lasted longer over that 100K miles. Then again it's that much more costly to replace in mishap.
Old 12-06-20, 02:04 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
A good derailleur worth replacing the wheels/pulleys on may have lasted longer over that 100K miles. Then again it's that much more costly to replace in mishap.
Well, decent derailleurs don't start at such a hefty price. An M6100 derailleur is 45€ and it may be basic but its definitely built to last.

Meanwhile, on the road side of things, a 105 derailleur is even cheaper, around 38€, and well maintained it's more likely to die from external damage than from wear.
Old 12-06-20, 01:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I've been keeping records for the last 16 years, have gone through a few rear derailleurs, usually because they break. Once a plastic shopping flew into the mechanism, bending it into the spokes of the rear wheel; once someone t-boned me; once somebody bent it while it was parked... A good derailleur worth replacing the wheels/pulleys on may have lasted longer over that 100K miles. Then again it's that much more costly to replace in mishap.
I've wrecked a der or two by putting a stick through them, always hate that one but the pleasure of a der that works smoothly and consistently with no worries in between is preferable to me. My son's 20" flat bar cross bike came with a cheap rear der that had the pulleys freeze in only a couple of months of riding through mud and wet and being riveted I had to toss the der. My daughter's bike had decent pulleys that were bushings but had a tendency to rust at the pivots, having to lube the pivots every time I lubed the chain to keep the bike running smoothly was just a nuisance. Both kids could feel a difference when swapped out. I've also had ders last long enough to wear out the pivots and joints over many years and miles of use. I'd rather spend a little more at 50-70.00 and have something that feels better, lasts longer, and is more precise then deal with cheap ones that need more maintenance and slow me down. Or for my nicest bikes something that costs a couple hundred and just seems to work silently and flawlessly.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 12-06-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 01:50 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Strange. Since the rest of derailleur looks as new, I'm sure there is no sign of rust from long riding in rain.

The forces in derailleur are so small compared with the forces that steel bearings can face, that I can't imagine how those bearings can be worn. After 25000 km with a SRAM road deraileur, heavily shifting (in average at intervals of 3-6 minutes for preserving optimal cadence) and never greasing the bearings, I observed only minor signs of wearing at the level of plastic wheels, but nothing at the bearings. I had to change the derailleur to accommodate bigger cogs, but I think that the plastic wheels could easily resist at least 25000 km more.
As about derailleur steel bearings, if one greases them at each 20000 - 30000 km and avoids high proportion of rides in torrential rain, I think they can't be worn.