Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Rocker plates, homemade or fancy?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 06:31 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts

I'm riding a kickr with the new squishy feet. I like it a lot more than the rigid feet it came with (last Spring.) I'm thinking about a rocker plate, though. Don't really need it, but it looks like it might add to the fun and even make long training days more enjoyable. I like the looks of the InsideRide E-flex, but I don't really like the price tag. Yeah, we all spend a lot of hours on the indoor trainer over the course of the winter, so price gets diluted out by hours:dollars:comfort, and I only have to buy it once. I'm VERY open to the idea of building my own or paying for one. Whichever provides the best bang for the buck, I guess, so what I'm after is this: any recommendations on manufactured rocker plates that are (ideally) under $400, *OR* solid suggestions on a set of plans or guides to build my own. I have the tools and skill to build, but haven't even looked into it yet. I'm not on Facebook- I heard there's a group or gaggle or gathering or some such there devoted to rocker plates, but it won't do me any good. Heh.
Old 11-23-20, 09:48 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Yes the rocker plates Facebook group is really good.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4153...706/?ref=share

lots of plans an info. I think the big companies will come out with models you can buy in the future. But right now building one is a good option.
top models now.
https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-rocker-plate
https://www.rockrindoortraining.com/
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 11-23-20, 11:20 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You should consider getting a Kickr Climb. I don't know of any rocker plates that are compatible with the Climb, so unfortunately it might be an either or situation. With the Climb, I don't feel the need for a rocker plate as the varying tilt naturally causes me to shift weight around the saddle, mix it up with standing, etc. I've ridden many 4+ hour sessions without any bum pain, and only started feeling a bit uncomfortable there in the last hour of a 10 and a 1/2 hour total saddle time vEveresting of Alpe du Zwift.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-23-20, 11:59 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Fascinating. I had no idea.

Rockshox&Quarq or someone could get in on this and make some real dough. Put a shock and a Shockwiz on either side and measure the power spent and tell people they have to get it perfectly null
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-27-20, 04:08 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I took about a half turn of pressure off the outrigger feet on my Kickr yesterday before I rode, and if felt even better. I like the new axion feet. No need for more complexity yet- I’m able to find the pain of 450W intervals without having to wobble on a rocker. And I think it will continue to refine my pedaling to have limited motion, snd help reinforce getting torque to the ground vs putting on a “yank ‘n crank” show of wasted effort. So, for now, Santa will not be picking anything up for me from InsideRide or any other wobbletable builders. Heh.
Old 12-01-20, 05:30 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I was going to build one with a linear rod pivot and slide... but decided to try out the concept first with TWO 3" FOAM BALLS ($1 each from a local chinese dollar store, had to stop at 4-5 to find them) under the kicker (remove the side feet and stuff the balls under it).

So far it works well enough that my energy for building some big heavy thing (or spending $600+ to buy one) just fell off to zero.

Old 12-01-20, 07:57 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I was going to build one with a linear rod pivot and slide... but decided to try out the concept first with TWO 3" FOAM BALLS ($1 each from a local chinese dollar store, had to stop at 4-5 to find them) under the kicker (remove the side feet and stuff the balls under it).

So far it works well enough that my energy for building some big heavy thing (or spending $600+ to buy one) just fell off to zero.
Funny you should do this, i was thinking of doing something similar. i too don't see the need for all that stuff to balance the kicker on. besides, i am limited in space in the garage and having to move that big thing around made me not even consider building something of tht size.
Old 12-02-20, 10:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm building one. Fore/aft motion and side to side provided by some linear bearings from my junk pile
Old 12-03-20, 09:55 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography

Concerned about the balls slipping out from under it mid ride?
Old 12-03-20, 10:10 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Concerned about the balls slipping out from under it mid ride?
They wander slightly front to back but so far don't pop out.

I have a set of softer 4" balls I was going to try too (these are firmer 3" ones).