Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 05:40 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
BTW, There is a soon to be opened Bike shop in Cambria ,," Velo Cambria " .

The fine gentleman Proprietor named Climo , told us He will be opening soon and will be focusing on Vintage Bikes as well as New. Coffee and Beer will also be available. So a new cycling destination in Cambria looks like a for sure stop.

Here are a few of the bikes (still under covers) that will be displayed.

Old 11-28-20, 02:15 PM
Italvega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely love the Maressi shoes!!! I also have a pair, which was hard to find for a size 13...bought them probably almost 40 years ago...
Old 11-28-20, 09:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
The thread was cleaned up. No insults allowed. This thread probably has run its course. We’ll give it one last shot - post within the rules or it’s closed. Thanks
Old 11-29-20, 05:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I deleted some problematic posts and responses to them. There is a covid forum. If you want to talk about covid, go post there.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-29-20, 09:02 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I was just commenting how happy I am that folks are thinking about Eroica CA and that I am looking forward to the 2021 thread in a few weeks when we hear from the organizers.
Old 11-29-20, 10:18 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
I am hoping that something relevant to the 2021 will be posted soon.

Seriously thinking of giving it a try on my 1980's Klein Quantum in 2021.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 11-29-20, 11:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Fun to see a bike shop opening up.
that will need tourist / online dollars as the population size and density is marginal.

The overall news is scary and later promising.

my guess, the Fall of 2021.
Old 11-29-20, 12:08 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If Vegas were posting an over/under, I think that would be the line.
Old 11-30-20, 12:04 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I was checking on Velo Cambria, the map shows it's a block from Linn's, which is just down the street from the Bridge Street Inn, aka il Palazzo degli Eroi. Clicked on the Inn's website link, shows it's permanently closed. :-(

Last edited by gugie; 11-30-20 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 10:36 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by repechage
Fun to see a bike shop opening up.
that will need tourist / online dollars as the population size and density is marginal.

The overall news is scary and later promising.

Climo mentioned that he was going to be having E-Bike rentals for the tourist as well as a coffee shop to keep daily customers coming thru the door, It should be interesting to see how it works out.Hopefully He is succesful .
Old 12-02-20, 10:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Climo mentioned that he was going to be having E-Bike rentals for the tourist as well as a coffee shop to keep daily customers coming thru the door, It should be interesting to see how it works out.Hopefully He is succesful .
In many areas the food service needs to be really segregated from the bike shop side... Maybe the local health dept authorities are not fussy.
Old 12-02-20, 12:22 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Great to see a new bike shop opening -- I always said that I would love to run a small vintage bike shop in my retirement.

As for Eroica CA, I would agree that Fall 2021 seems most likely. Until then, I take my Bottecchia out once a month to give her some exercise, and also built a new set of tubular wheels from NOS Mavic GP 4 rims.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 12-02-20, 06:36 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am ready whenever it can be done safely. I really missed not having it last year. I now have a dilemma , I was going to ride my Medici and was fully prepared to do so . But then, I went and bought this 1975 Colnago Super here on this forum and can’t decide which bike to ride. I guess I will have to see how I feel when it actually happens. I am confident it will and when it does, it will be spectacular. Looking forward to seeing my Eroica friends. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-02-20, 08:29 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Attire?

Hi all,

I now have an Eroica-consistent bicycle, and non-modern looking shoes, but I wonder about the other aspects.

Do I really need to buy wool shorts? And jersey?

Is this vintage enough:

I don't want to be the guy not really keeping the spirit, but $200 in clothing to wear only rarely seems steep.

What have others here done?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-20, 09:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by tgot
Hi all,

I now have an Eroica-consistent bicycle, and non-modern looking shoes, but I wonder about the other aspects.

Is this vintage enough:

I don't want to be the guy not really keeping the spirit, but $200 in clothing to wear only rarely seems steep.

Thanks.
You're good, wool is for for the purists, there is no actual dress code that I saw, I was in a tee shirt, Chrome Union shorts and black Nike running shoes.

I saw a lot of modern kit and pretty sure nobody said anything.
Old 12-02-20, 09:42 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks.
Pair it with some plain black (modern) shorts and you'll be fine. The rules for the California version are a lot less strict than those in Italy, and there's a big mix in how seriously riders take it.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 12-02-20, 09:46 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Sadly, I will not be there no matter when in 2021 it is held. I've moved across the country -- job, life, proximity to parents with a new son, etc. Time to start looking at D2R2 instead, I guess.

I'll miss all the eye candy, saying hi to gugie and a few others, and descending Cypress Mountain and Santa Rosa Creek road into Cambria. Cheers to whomever can make it.
Old 12-02-20, 09:57 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Pair it with some plain black (modern) shorts and you'll be fine. The rules for the California version are a lot less strict than those in Italy, and there's a big mix in how seriously riders take it.
Originally Posted by merziac
You're good, wool is for for the purists, there is no actual dress code that I saw, I was in a tee shirt, Chrome Union shorts and black Nike running shoes.

I saw a lot of modern kit and pretty sure nobody said anything.
Thank you both! Now if the event can just happen, I'm pretty likely to make it.
Likes For tgot:
Old 12-03-20, 12:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Sadly, I will not be there no matter when in 2021 it is held. I've moved across the country -- job, life, proximity to parents with a new son, etc. Time to start looking at D2R2 instead, I guess.

I'll miss all the eye candy, saying hi to gugie and a few others, and descending Cypress Mountain and Santa Rosa Creek road into Cambria. Cheers to whomever can make it.
Congrat on your son!

I'm hoping that things will be sane enough to get back to French Fender Day, so there's a chance to meet up?
Old 12-03-20, 07:22 PM
mhespenheide 

Originally Posted by gugie
Congrat on your son!

I'm hoping that things will be sane enough to get back to French Fender Day, so there's a chance to meet up?
Thank you!
FFD sounds fun, but would it be okay to bring a modern bike for the ride and just ogle the bike jewelry? Now in an even-smaller apartment, there's no room to add a classic fendered 650b bike to the stable.
Old 12-03-20, 08:58 PM
Manny66 

Hi all,

Is this vintage enough:

Thanks.

L'Eroica is Pre 1988, so Lycra jerseys and shorts will fit the bill since they were used prior to that date. You'll be fine with what you have.
Old 12-03-20, 09:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I think period like graphics are more important than the materials. A couple years ago, at the dark:30 start of the long ride, Wesley scolded the group in general for being out of costume and we were warned not to repeat the transgression the following year. No one was singled out. Everybody was looking around and at their own kits wondering, "Is he talking about me? Or you?" That Jersey looks great.
Old 12-03-20, 09:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Thank you!
FFD sounds fun, but would it be okay to bring a modern bike for the ride and just ogle the bike jewelry? Now in an even-smaller apartment, there's no room to add a classic fendered 650b bike to the stable.
No problem, as long as it's steel, no one will care. Well, even better if you brought an early 40's aluminum Barra...
Old 12-03-20, 11:37 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
A couple years ago, at the dark:30 start of the long ride, Wesley scolded the group in general for being out of costume and we were warned not to repeat the transgression the following year.
Sadly, I'm not sure that Wes is even involved anymore. Life get's in the way I guess. Next year will be a tough one and will likely not measure up to previous years if it goes at all. At this point, the event even surviving in the US may be a bit of a tall order, and California is the least friendly location ever to try and have an event like this. The state is imposing ever more requirements on organizers to the point where it is not possible to charge enough to even cover actual expenses.

In my area an event called the Dalles Mtn 60 has been held for many years now. It is a half dirt, half paved, free ride type event. No fee, no official organizers and no support. Just a time, a date and a known route. About 200 riders showed up last time I rode it about 5 years ago and it was a blast. It is open to all types of bikes but the ride may be a model for holding an event in these "new normal" times. Lots of fun though!!!

Link to 2015 the ride here.
Old 12-04-20, 11:49 AM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Sadly, I'm not sure that Wes is even involved anymore. Life get's in the way I guess. Next year will be a tough one and will likely not measure up to previous years if it goes at all. At this point, the event even surviving in the US may be a bit of a tall order, and California is the least friendly location ever to try and have an event like this. The state is imposing ever more requirements on organizers to the point where it is not possible to charge enough to even cover actual expenses.

In my area an event called the Dalles Mtn 60 has been held for many years now. It is a half dirt, half paved, free ride type event. No fee, no official organizers and no support. Just a time, a date and a known route. About 200 riders showed up last time I rode it about 5 years ago and it was a blast. It is open to all types of bikes but the ride may be a model for holding an event in these "new normal" times. Lots of fun though!!!

Link to 2015 the ride here.
It looks like a great time, sometimes those "grass roots" events work out better than most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.