Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2021 Trek Checkpoint

Old 10-25-20, 07:06 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
congrats man, this bike freaking RULES. you'll be happy. I keep a set of road wheels/tires and gravel wheels/tires which helps me not miss out on a domane.
Likes For bigevil:
Old 10-28-20, 08:27 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by EndUser2016
I really hoping the BB90 stuff is seriously just people being overly anal about it .. my test rides i couldn't tell any difference on T47 vs BB90 bike
I've owned two BB90 bikes, and never had any of the infamous creaking issues. I think it's a wise move for Trek to move to T47, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy your new ride!
Likes For RocThrower:
Old 10-28-20, 09:14 AM
EndUser2016

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
congrats man, this bike freaking RULES. you'll be happy. I keep a set of road wheels/tires and gravel wheels/tires which helps me not miss out on a domane.
I open for wheelset #2 not looked into it much yet (what ones you go with?) .... but going tubeless on the stockers do rubber swapping will be annoying .. second wheelset means problem solved =) ...
Old 10-28-20, 05:48 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
It’s not a play, it is the older spelling of Nomad -probably the more correct one. Daemon would be better given to the aero bike and Madone should be on the Emonda. https://www.bikeradar.com/features/trek-daemon/
I like "Da Mone"
Old 11-29-20, 11:00 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EndUser2016
I open for wheelset #2 not looked into it much yet (what ones you go with?) .... but going tubeless on the stockers do rubber swapping will be annoying .. second wheelset means problem solved =) ...
knowing what I know now I'd have likely done it (meaning nicer wheels/tires) but I bought a second set of the stock paradigm comp 25.

I run one set of wheels tubeless with the GR2 Team Issue and a MTB Cassette actually (the Shimano Deore XT 11-40T). The road set is tubed w/ the bontrager R3 and a Ultegra 11-34T

wolf tooth roadlink DM makes the bike play perfectly with both cassettes and I haven't had chain slack issues etc.

Having a second setup makes swapping from road to gravel a 3 minute job instead of a 20 minute one it was before (even was I was fast with the it still ends up being a process somehow).

In retrospect I may have opted for even knobier tires, maybe not bontrager wheels for the second setup as the rides in my area have been gnarly [almost need a MTB for em] but hey, you live/you learn. Eventually I'll get some real nice wheels and use these on my girlfriends FX 4 Carbon so she can keep up on gravel!

That said, regarding the 2021, I do I had the GRX hoods as I've heard great things, but otherwise I'm loving having ultegra across the rest of the bike.

Last edited by bigevil; 11-29-20 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 12:42 AM
EndUser2016

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
knowing what I know now I'd have likely done it (meaning nicer wheels/tires) but I bought a second set of the stock paradigm comp 25.

I run one set of wheels tubeless with the GR2 Team Issue and a MTB Cassette actually (the Shimano Deore XT 11-40T). The road set is tubed w/ the bontrager R3 and a Ultegra 11-34T

wolf tooth roadlink DM makes the bike play perfectly with both cassettes and I haven't had chain slack issues etc.

Having a second setup makes swapping from road to gravel a 3 minute job instead of a 20 minute one it was before (even was I was fast with the it still ends up being a process somehow).

In retrospect I may have opted for even knobier tires, maybe not bontrager wheels for the second setup as the rides in my area have been gnarly [almost need a MTB for em] but hey, you live/you learn. Eventually I'll get some real nice wheels and use these on my girlfriends FX 4 Carbon so she can keep up on gravel!

That said, regarding the 2021, I do I had the GRX hoods as I've heard great things, but otherwise I'm loving having ultegra across the rest of the bike.
I just picked mine up yesterday and yes i am very happy with it minus i'll say those cables and how they route on this one are a touch annoying when your standing up and ones legs still bump them -_- ... will say the stock tires are fine in gravel as long as there is not mud ... I dropped a garmin vector 3 dual side power meter clipless setup on mine and already managed to fall several times when the tire slipped and i couldn't unclip fast enough ... still working out the fit on those as after my 25 mile ride home from the shop i had some ankle and knee pain as a result of my cleats not being aligned right -i am going to do another ride when i don't have a bag full of my 10lb city lock and shoes which probably didn't help with my back ... as Mrs just dropped me off at the store which meant I had to carry everything else i had on me back home in the bag ...

I going to get a fitting to confirm everything is set right for me once i do another lengthy ride on it and see how i feel as i think that bag could be responsible for my back a bit ...

Still .... handlebars seem like a wider set would be more my style and maybe even a stem length swap ... will see what the bike fit determines for me as honestly after only having a too small of a mountain bike and my turbo trainer to use for the several months maybe i am being a bit too picky about it ... will see

thanks for the info on the wheelset and yes i am with you on that to probably get a nicer wheelset for the road to help with the hill climb events i like to do ... shop owner said he runs a 11-42 on his checkpoint but he had to add a link to the chain in order to get that right ... during my first ride i had rubbing when i was on TBR and tried to use some of my taller gears i had that annoying rubbing going on ... I would not have expected it and i think the shop might have missed that tweak when they were setting it up for me *sigh* ... less that is normal with a 11spd cassette (don't know as this is my first of this type...) road bike i road last time also had some click play to do micro moves of the Front De ... seems to be absent on GRX810

2021 SL6 comes with a GRX810 not the ultegra road stuff 11-34 \ 31-48 -- BTW