Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

New Kickr - chain-cassette skipping/popping

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 10:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

We got our new Kickr v5 trainers last week, I spent the weekend setting up, cleaning up bikes, organizing the pain cave, and took my first ride up Alpe du Zwift yesterday. It was nearly perfect.

My issue was some popping with the chain and cassette. Here are some details:
  • The v5 comes with 11-speed cassette and my bike has 10-speed derailleur. I bought a used 10-speed cassette from a buddy to load on the trainer.
  • The chain has about 1,200 miles - new/used cassette is unknown (I've issues with new chain and old cassette in the past and this doesn't feel the same - but this is a trainer and not the open road ... )
  • The trainer came with the spacer for 10-speed cassette

Two kinda n00b things - I've never changed my own cassettes:
  • The trainer has a 10-speed spacer, and the 10-speed cassette has a spacer too - use both or only the Kickr's spacer? (I hope that makes sense)
  • Could not having the lock ring tight enough case this popping/skipping? I might have been too gentle tightening it, I watched Calvin after my ride, I don't think I gave it enough torque (I don't have a torque wrench yet)

I'm working my way through the steps in this link, but would be interested in additional feedback/experience.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...g-and-popping-

Oh, and Lisa's Kickr is fine, her bike is 11-speed.
Old 10-26-20, 01:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
my ride is an 8 speed and i have the same (older) trainer. i only used one spacer, can't remember if the (new) cassette came with one or not but only using one spacer. i did have some shifting difficulty and it was then that i learned about derailleur hangers. mine was bent. new hanger and problem corrected along with better derailleur adjustment.

like you it was my first time changing out a cassette. loose lock nut...possible. just make sure it is tight enough. i don't ahve a troqure wrench e3ither but a few clicks should do the trick. have not had any problems with it losening up.

-scott
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-27-20, 08:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

OP update: I tighten the lock ring last night before a short ride with a couple hard efforts and I think that was the issue. It was smoother last night and now feels more like I need to dial in the derailleur ... still a little off, but not popping/skipping.
Old 10-30-20, 12:10 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

After talking with a buddy at the LBS and (finally) using the chain gage ... I'm gonna get a new chain on the bike. Look for another update in a few days.
Old 11-01-20, 05:24 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Solved! I realized I've replaced a chain with an older cassette ... But never put an older chain on a new cassette, so that was a new experience.

I needed a new chain (and the lock ring wasn't tight enough)
Old 11-07-20, 09:37 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
OP update: I tighten the lock ring last night before a short ride with a couple hard efforts and I think that was the issue. It was smoother last night and now feels more like I need to dial in the derailleur ... still a little off, but not popping/skipping.
The goal is to NOT have to adjust derailleur on/off the trainer.
look at the der to cassette alignment in a few gears. it will likely be consistently off to the left or to the right.

then try one more or one less spacer behind the derailleur.
Likes For nycphotography: