Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Noise Are Trucks Making?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-02-20, 07:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Those of you who are familiar with larger trucks might know this. There are a lot of “heavier” trucks on the roads around my house.......dump trucks, tractor trailers, garbage trucks etc. We have a lot of growth with a lot of construction going on. The landfill is not too far away and gravel pits, sand pits and asphalt plants are very close by. We are also just off I-85 and there are 3-4 trucking terminals on our exit. Plus there are a lot of 2 lane roads that we share!

A lot of times I’ve noticed that as some of those vehicles pass me the vehicle makes a loud, short hissing sound. It’s not the sound of Jake Brakes, but sounds like a burst of air at high pressure being released.

Is that just part of the normal operation of the vehicle or could it be something the driver is doing trying to “scare” or irritate me? Any ideas?

Last edited by jppe; 11-03-20 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For jppe:
Old 11-02-20, 07:23 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
The trucks we use to move concert equipment around have some kind of air release that basically just sounds like the vehicle hit a nail and punctured a tire. It happens mostly when the vehicles are approaching a full stop, but I'm not sure if it also happens at other times.

I suspect this is what you are describing and, no, it's not the driver messing with you. It's some kind of necessary function that I cannot describe because I am not a driver. RELAX!!
Old 11-02-20, 10:18 PM
macd55

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL 2 Elite, 2001 Litespeed Classic, 2019 Pinarillo Dyodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Truck brakes are held OFF by air pressure. If the truck loses air the brakes go full on. There is an air tank that keeps air pressure up and the sound you hear is the tank bleeding off excess air pressure as there is a pump adding air to the all the time.
Likes For macd55:
Old 11-02-20, 11:16 PM
Rincorsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The noise you are describing is probably the air dryer purging. Large trucks with air brakes use lots of air. The air is first filtered and some is exhausted to remove moisture from the system. Air brakes work better with clean dry air. Especially when temperatures are below freezing.
Likes For Rincorsa:
Old 11-03-20, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
I think I've heard the hissing release of air that others are describing on trucks that are just idling in the parking lot with no driver. I think it's not something that necessarily happens predictably.
Old 11-03-20, 10:57 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks folks! I suspected it had something to do with the the air brake system and I appreciate you confirming it.

Now if we can just take care of some of the “rolling coal” diesel pickup trucks!!!
Old 11-04-20, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
[QUOTE=macd55;21772846]Truck brakes are held OFF by air pressure. If the truck loses air the brakes go full on.QUOTE]
Just like a freight train.

One way thieves like to disable a slow moving freight train is to break the air hose connection between two cars. That will send the train into emergency breaking. Do it far back on a very long train and it will take the engineering a while to walk the train to find the broken connection. That, in turn, leaves time for the thieves to break into a car and steal stuff.
Old 11-04-20, 01:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Now if we can just take care of some of the “rolling coal” diesel pickup trucks!!!
That's a mental issue, those pricks have to modify their trucks to do that.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-04-20, 05:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just like a freight train.

One way thieves like to disable a slow moving freight train is to break the air hose connection between two cars. That will send the train into emergency breaking. Do it far back on a very long train and it will take the engineering a while to walk the train to find the broken connection. That, in turn, leaves time for the thieves to break into a car and steal stuff.
There is more than one way to stop a train in order to rob it: