Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

On Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 06:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
If you drive west thru northern Arizona in summer, you pass from NM (mt. time) to the Navaho Rez., 1 hr different, then thru the Hopi Rez., so back to mt. time, then back into the Navaho territory, different time and then maybe out of the Navaho Rez. and into the state of Arizona or Utah, so different time again.
Old 11-13-20, 10:25 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Even more confusing is that India is on the half-hour. Plus it was 10.5 hours, but I never remembered which way so I was frequently 3 hours off from time at home when I was in India on business. I gave up and just started asking the locals since they were used to it. I was in Shanghai more recently and that is easy because it is 12 hours.

When working with Italy, the Italians would always remind us that it was 5 hours different during that week, but just one week.
Thankfully I can just google "what time is it in Pune", and not struggle with the base 12, 30-minute offset, DST impacted arithmetic. Also very good is that India has one timezone in the entire country; my coworkers have gone from Pune to their home states across the continent during COVID but it's all the same time.
Old 11-14-20, 06:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes, we should have the clocks on our phones disconnected from the network time so we can set them manually! Having them connected to the internet just to set the time is silly. That'll show 'em how we don't need tech in our everyday lives. <grin><sarcasm>
Why would you want to keep polling for the current time, when you can calibrate just once when powering on? It's worse than silly - it's just dumb architecture.
Old 11-14-20, 08:38 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why would you want to keep polling for the current time, when you can calibrate just once when powering on? It's worse than silly - it's just dumb architecture.
Watches - even electronic ones - drift. And since most of our phones are connected to the internet anyway, it would be "dumb architecture" to not make it synchronise with an atomic clock over the internet. And most people don't turn off their phone every day either, nor feel like setting it every day.

I have a front light for the bike (a Trelock LS760 Vision) which has an integrated clock (in addition to showing how many hours is left on the chosen brightness setting). The clock is absolutely useless, as after a day or two of non-use, it is already more than half an hour wrong. After a week, it's hours wrong. A fortnight, and it's inching in on having day as night and vice versa.
I don't actually see the point of having a clock in your headlight, but when they do, it should be somewhat accurate.

Of course, not all clocks are that effed up. I had a small Mp3 player which lost about 10 minutes/month. That was extremely good in my book. I could actually use it and was happy to adjust it a little once in a while. I used my internet-connected phone to set the clock on the mp3 player accurately.
Old 11-14-20, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Were in my statement did I say that I'm for having a clock constantly polling for time?

That would be silly and dumb architecture. That's why none to my knowledge do that.

My statement is more about people wanting to blast technology as bad, yet use it themselves. After all you are apparently okay letting your phone be set by technology wouldn't be available in bygone days.

Yet still it's really no different than me tuning my 50 year old short wave radio to the time broadcast and setting my watch as I used to do in junior high and high school. Only the new methods are more accurate with the synchronization and do not requiire my involvement.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-14-20, 11:03 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
This switching of clocks forward, and then back again twice a year can be very tough for people's bodies to adapt to, and no doubt causes many deaths, illnesses, accidents, and much economic loss every year.

I think the rather obvious solution would be to have the clocks in the spring go forward only 30 minutes for the first week, with then the remaining 30 minutes to be advanced the following week. With the reverse happening in the fall. May as well keep it simple.
Old 11-19-20, 01:39 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Watches - even electronic ones - drift. And since most of our phones are connected to the internet anyway, it would be "dumb architecture" to not make it synchronise with an atomic clock over the internet. And most people don't turn off their phone every day either, nor feel like setting it every day.

I have a front light for the bike (a Trelock LS760 Vision) which has an integrated clock (in addition to showing how many hours is left on the chosen brightness setting). The clock is absolutely useless, as after a day or two of non-use, it is already more than half an hour wrong. After a week, it's hours wrong. A fortnight, and it's inching in on having day as night and vice versa.
I don't actually see the point of having a clock in your headlight, but when they do, it should be somewhat accurate.

Of course, not all clocks are that effed up. I had a small Mp3 player which lost about 10 minutes/month. That was extremely good in my book. I could actually use it and was happy to adjust it a little once in a while. I used my internet-connected phone to set the clock on the mp3 player accurately.
We're talking about appliance clocks, not phones or computers.

Modern electronic clocks will not "drift" that much. Computer-grade crystals will typically offset about .6 seconds per week. So you'd be off by 30 seconds after a year.

If you'll check back, you'll notice that is said it's silly if *the only reason* to be connected constantly is to sync the clock. Regarding your headlight's design, it would be a dumb fix to give it internet connectivity instead of simply a higher-quality crystal.
Old 11-19-20, 01:44 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
It doesn't matter. I was not actually advocating for having everything connected. I said it was a good reason to be connected IF it is such a chore to set your clocks twice a year. I don't consider it a chore, but the OP and a lot of other posters apparently thinks it is an unsurmountable task. FOR THEM, they could get around it by having everything either internet connected or have them synced with a radio signal.
S.a.r.c.a.s.m.

As for the clock not drifting. The MP3 player I talked about that drifted ridiculously much was my Shanling M0. And the light I talked about was the Trelock LS 760 I-GO Vision. Hardly old hat (look them both up).
My Shanlng Q1 doesn't drift quite as much, but still several minutes/months.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-19-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 01:45 PM
wphamilton

Were in my statement did I say that I'm for having a clock constantly polling for time?

That would be silly and dumb architecture. That's why none to my knowledge do that.
You responded to literally "Having a device connected to the internet just to set time is silly."

These poorly designed devices poll at predefined intervals. Constantly, as in all the time (NOT meaning every microsecond or whatever you were imagining) It IS dumb, but sadly it's pretty common.
Old 11-19-20, 01:47 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There are some places that use standard time year round. I found I liked that as evenings were long and a better way to end each day.
Old 11-19-20, 04:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You responded to literally "Having a device connected to the internet just to set time is silly."

These poorly designed devices poll at predefined intervals. Constantly, as in all the time (NOT meaning every microsecond or whatever you were imagining) It IS dumb, but sadly it's pretty common.
If my coffee pot could connect to the internet and get it's own time, I'd be okay with that. Sure beats having the 12:00 constantly flashing at me. <grin> Thankfully it's small and not backlit so the flashing LCD is not so noticeable. Of course if it did make a time request via the internet, then it'd have to have the smarts to know where it's located and be able to update the ever changing dates that Daylight time starts and ends.

As far as time requests, I don't have that many time requests going through my firewall and I have quite a bit of stuff connected to the network.

Oh..... the statement you quoted me on.... you did note I marked that as sarcasm, didn't you?

Yes, we should have the clocks on our phones disconnected from the network time so we can set them manually! Having them connected to the internet just to set the time is silly. That'll show 'em how we don't need tech in our everyday lives. <grin><sarcasm>

Last edited by Iride01; 11-19-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 07:58 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
If my coffee pot could connect to the internet and get it's own time, I'd be okay with that. Sure beats having the 12:00 constantly flashing at me. <grin> Thankfully it's small and not backlit so the flashing LCD is not so noticeable. Of course if it did make a time request via the internet, then it'd have to have the smarts to know where it's located and be able to update the ever changing dates that Daylight time starts and ends.

As far as time requests, I don't have that many time requests going through my firewall and I have quite a bit of stuff connected to the network.

Oh..... the statement you quoted me on.... you did note I marked that as sarcasm, didn't you?
Having the smarts to do that is trivial if it were connected to the internet. It would likely use the ISP location and be a server side function. But I agree, it would be silly to connect just for that. My kitchen has four LED/LCD clocks that all need to be set and I sync them up manually because it drives me crazy to see different times on digital clocks. Three of them count seconds from when you press the button, the coffee pot doesn't though and I need to pull the plug to get it to restart counting seconds. And another annoying thing is that the iPhone doesn't have a digital seconds clock, only the analog face on the icon so with all this tech I'm still watching the second hand go around to 12 to set things.