Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in cold

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 11:26 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I'm wearing 2+ layers of clothing on my legs when it's that cold. Pushing against that resistance is definitely noticeable. Also, my nose runs when it's cold and my snot-rocket position is not as aero, so there's that.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 11-24-20, 12:34 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Last winter I rode outside 2 or 3 times total. I really do not like the cold.

I have been telling myself since Spring that I wouldn't ride outside this year once the temp dropped into the 40s. Just ride on a trainer and be content. However I'm going ahead and don't know why but I'm putting together a insulated set of kit to try to get out at least once a week as long as the roads don't have ice or snow and it's not colder than 20 deg F. Just need a pair of gloves to complete my kit. I do have a pair of those toe covers and they work ok when you place a hot pack in them.
Old 11-27-20, 09:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I do remember that two of the reasons were
- cold air is denser, hence harder to plow through
- winter kit tends to be less aerodynamic
but there was more to it than that.
I am convinced that there are physiological reasons also. At least for some of us (me). Capillaries constricted, muscles are tight, lungs don't work as well, extra work to keep warm, maybe some endocrine differences. Maybe lower light levels psych me out. But I'm certain that I'm just physically slower when it's colder.
Old 11-30-20, 10:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
plus the faster you ride, the more the wind chill. I will intentionally ride slower sometimes
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-30-20, 09:50 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
20F This heat
Likes For y0x8:
Old 11-30-20, 10:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I ride in winter as long as no ice and wind is not bad. Today did my usual 50 mile loop temperature was 33 degrees but not much wind. I wear gore Tex jacket. Normally in warmer temps I can do this an average 17 mph even tired. I get 18-19mph often.

Today I only could manage 16.5 and was not bad out as such, but feet will start getting numb. I got in a just beat more than normal and sleepy when done. Anyone else have this in cold weather seems to be a consistent thing with myself.
A couple of thoughts. You could have been low on calories which made you feel fatigued. A better thought is that you were suffering from mild hypothermia. Sleepiness and lethargy are classic symptoms. As a downhill skier for many years, I can attest to the effects of cold on performance as well as outbreaks of yawning in the middle of the day. You may want to try bundling up more, focusing on your head and neck and buying those ferrous oxide toe warmers skiers use. If that fails, you might want to talk to your doctor.

Old 12-01-20, 10:15 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
A couple of thoughts. You could have been low on calories which made you feel fatigued. A better thought is that you were suffering from mild hypothermia. Sleepiness and lethargy are classic symptoms. As a downhill skier for many years, I can attest to the effects of cold on performance as well as outbreaks of yawning in the middle of the day. You may want to try bundling up more, focusing on your head and neck and buying those ferrous oxide toe warmers skiers use. If that fails, you might want to talk to your doctor.
I have Raynaud's Syndrome. Had it all my life and my hands can get cold in middle of the summer. They are always ice cold but other than that it does not bother me at all. I don't have some of the swelling and other things some people get with it. To me it is just an inconvenience and not great in the cold. Riding a bike interestingly enough I manage a generate enough heat to stay warm my hand do fine but my feet start to go numb in the winter. The one benefit of Raynoud's is I tolerate the heat very well. I am probably one of the few people who ride intensely on my indoor trainer with no fan. I can ride hard for 2 hours in a pool of sweat and it does not bother me at all not fan on the bike. I do this running on the treadmill too. Food is probably an issue since I never eat during a ride of less than 75 miles.
Old 12-01-20, 11:38 AM
cutdbeard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried rising during winter and never did it again. I placed some heat pads that re so popular in japan or korea and placed it all over my body and that helped but it just lasted for 20 minutes. So maybe you could also purchase those heat pads from japan just not sure where to get it here in the states.
Old 12-01-20, 11:42 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by cutdbeard
Tried rising during winter and never did it again. I placed some heat pads that re so popular in japan or korea and placed it all over my body and that helped but it just lasted for 20 minutes. So maybe you could also purchase those heat pads from japan just not sure where to get it here in the states.
Better clothing will help more than heating pads placed at random "all over".
Old 12-01-20, 03:53 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Not me. Too much pain.
Old 12-01-20, 08:59 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
The coldest temp at which I will ride intentionally is 40 F - and it needs to be sunny and not stupid-windy.

If I paid for a charity or organized ride, or made a promise to someone I would absolutely be there, then I might go colder, but it hasn't happened yet.

I will take 90 degrees with 30-40% humidity over 30-40 degrees ANY day.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 12-03-20, 12:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I don't mind cold; and yes, I do get slowed down by it!

But I don't do ice or snow, since my visit to the ER for stitches in my face!
Old 12-03-20, 02:48 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I don't mind cold; and yes, I do get slowed down by it!

But I don't do ice or snow, since my visit to the ER for stitches in my face!
No ice for me I did that one time and to the dr for 3 screws in my left hip. I was lucky not a displaced fracture healed pretty fast and some have to have hip replacement if does not heal right.
Old 12-03-20, 03:09 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
So far, our temps at my evening ride time is around 30deg. When temps drop to 20 or lower, that requires a different (more bulky) level of clothing. Why is it so tiring? Some of my comments reinforce what others have added.
-My bike (vintage Trek Antelope 830) weighs 27#
-Tires have crazy rolling resistance
-snow adds to the rolling resistance
-I wear jeans and longjohns (yes, you read right) double resistance
-overall bulk of clothing adds pounds of ride weight

What’s the result? A good stiff workout in half the distance in the same time, basically. Yes, it is humbling and very similar to doing a ride in constant headwind every ride. In the spring when I throw a leg over my Cannondale Criterium for a vibrant road course, it all pays off.
Old 12-04-20, 11:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You guys are a hearty lot. For road biking, I’m out at below 40*. Commuted for three years down to the 20s and that was enough. If it snows I’ll get on my mtn bike and head out for an hour or two, and that’s plenty of work/fun.

Hats off to all y’all.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-07-20, 03:08 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Ok, so I have gloves, have lots of layers to pile on, have fleece long johns that I can wear under wind pants, have a wet dry running cap I can wear under my helmet, all the things I would wear to cross country ski but what do I do to protect my face? I went out on the weekend for a really short ride and the temperatures weren't too bad (just above freezing) and it wasn't that windy but because I was moving I could really feel it on my face. This is something I don't worry about cross country skiing (don't go that fast) but could be a game changer on whether to go out riding.
Old 12-07-20, 03:21 PM
y0x8
Ups!

SE Tripel Matte Black remade to fixed gear

Likes For y0x8:
Old 12-08-20, 10:31 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Ok, so I have gloves, have lots of layers to pile on, have fleece long johns that I can wear under wind pants, have a wet dry running cap I can wear under my helmet, all the things I would wear to cross country ski but what do I do to protect my face? I went out on the weekend for a really short ride and the temperatures weren't too bad (just above freezing) and it wasn't that windy but because I was moving I could really feel it on my face. This is something I don't worry about cross country skiing (don't go that fast) but could be a game changer on whether to go out riding.
I live and ride in Minnesota and I’m a ski patroller all winter so I spend a lot of time outdoors in the cold down to -35F or so.

Two things:
1. You acclimate and get used to it. You fell cold the first time at 30F. Then the next time it’s not so bad. By spring, you get hot at 30. The first time it’s -20F I go out skiing all day and after that everything is easy. Same applies to cycling vis a vis acclimating.

2. Buffs or something similar. I have a whole drawer full of them. I use them starting at 40F and for the rest of the winter.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 12-09-20, 05:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I don’t take a bike ride in snow or ice, tho I can take a short little jaunt on my mtn bike.

Feet have always been my prob below 45*f.
Took the matter in hand this year.
Should keep the wet and road silt at bay, too.

In th mail today.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-09-20 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-15-20, 03:47 AM
y0x8
Ups!

-15˚C (5˚F) 25 km (15.5 mi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLhGd_mehys
Likes For y0x8:
Old 12-15-20, 07:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

One thing about winter riding in the countryside; I feel less safe. The roads are usually wet and shaded with leaves or downed branches. Visibility sucks with the sun so low on the horizon and feel more vulnerable to blinded drivers. don’t like riding below 40*. Am just a big wimpy whiner.

BUT, when it snows, I happily jump on my mtn bike because it is trails only.

Old 12-15-20, 11:35 PM
5 mph

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I am a new rider but I am in deep. I haven't missed a single day since early March of this year. I ride 20 miles a day and I am really addicted and get antsy about noon if I haven't ridden yet. It doesn't get real cold out here in the Pacific Northwest but what it does do is rain tons and tons and the temperature gets to the high 30's. So you end up with cold soaked feet and sometimes they are so numb , they hurt and you have to warm them up slowly in a tub of water when you are done.
Also I haven't run into ice yet but it's a definite possibility. What do you do then? I suspect I will walk.
Old 12-15-20, 11:53 PM
5 mph

I am a new rider but I am in deep. I haven't missed a single day since early March of this year. I ride 20 miles a day and I am really addicted and get antsy about noon if I haven't ridden yet. It doesn't get real cold out here in the Pacific Northwest but what it does do is rain tons and tons and lately the temperature drops to the high 30's. At times it's a pleasant feeling as long as you have a tight nylon jacket on but unfortunately there isn't much you can do for your shoes. Unless you want to wear ridiculous 5 pound mountain climbing boots, you will always end up with cold soaked feet and sometimes they are so numb , they hurt and you have to warm them up slowly in a tub of warm water when you are done.
Also I haven't run into ice yet but it's a definite possibility. What do you do then? I suspect I will walk.

Last edited by 5 mph; 12-15-20 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 08:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Also I haven't run into ice yet but it's a definite possibility. What do you do then?
Studded snow tires. I run these--45NRTH Studded Commuter Tires. The Gravdals on my Portland, and the Kahvas on my Talon.

Possibly not worth it in the PNW. Depends on how much snow and ice you get, and how determined you are to get out in it.

My first year could be summarized about the same as yours, and I planned to walk the winter. Then the LBS turned me on to studs. No walking, 15 winters later.
Old 12-17-20, 04:56 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by tsl
Studded snow tires. I run these--45NRTH Studded Commuter Tires. The Gravdals on my Portland, and the Kahvas on my Talon.

Possibly not worth it in the PNW. Depends on how much snow and ice you get, and how determined you are to get out in it.

My first year could be summarized about the same as yours, and I planned to walk the winter. Then the LBS turned me on to studs. No walking, 15 winters later.
Thanks. I walked 5 miles a day for a month after I gave up running because my knees were aging. Boy that was so boring and I disliked it
Thank goodness I discovered Bicycling. For me, walking was not enjoyable.
Likes For 5 mph:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.