Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What was I waiting for?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What was I waiting for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 07:53 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
What was I waiting for?

As a one-handed rider, my success rate in doing an on the road flat repair is at best 75% when I'm out alone, and I may be exaggerating.

This Spring, when I built up a second set of "adventure wheels" for my Domane - with 40mm gravel tires - I decided to go tubeless. Twice now, I have seen them self heal a leak, which is a good thing, since I was not carrying an over-sized tube.

Last week, after I limped home with goat head inspired leaks on my 32mm road tires with tubes, both front and back, I decided to go tubeless on the road tires as well, and to drop down to 28s.

My first ride was today. It was incident free, but the road feel was awesome, even better than the larger volume clinchers I had been running. I'm felling pretty comfortable that if the sealant doesn't fix whatever I run into, the spare tube I am carrying will probably get me home.

Or the cell phone
Likes For tigat:
Old 11-11-20, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Good to hear you are out doing it and have discovered the wonderful ride of tubeless. Carry your mobile phone and or a AAA card, and you will always make it home. Get a package of tire bacons in case you get a hole too large to self seal and a mini-pump to get the pressure up. Even having two hands, placing a tube in a tubeless tire after a sidewall blowout is a real PITA.

Happy 🚴‍♀️

Old 11-12-20, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
What was I waiting for?
I can look back over the years find plenty of instances where I asked that. Friction vs indexed shifting, steel or carbon frame, rim brake or disc brake, cable pulled brakes or hydraulic, cable pulled DR's or electronic and vintage or new bike. Now I too am more seriously looking at going tubeless on a road bike.

Your post might be the push I need.
Old 11-13-20, 05:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I've been running tubeless for a couple years and only had one instance of total failure and that was when I dropped a wheel in a jagged crack by the edge of the road that totally shredded the sidewall at the rim. No amount of tubes or boots was going to get me home on that tire, tubeless or standard.

We have a lot of grit and sand on the road in Winter and after 37 seasons of fixing flats in sub-freezing temps, I decided to go tubeless. Other than the above incident, I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-14-20, 07:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Tubulars are much less slimy.
A bit of liquid latex is your flat-free protection.
Old 11-14-20, 09:10 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have tubeless ready wheels and will be needing new tires soon. I'm so on the fence about this. While (knock on wood) I haven't had a flat in years, I'm just so OK with the 51 years of riding with tubes that maybe I don't see the bigger picture.