Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 10:48 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Mechanics in Central LA

Even in December, all the local mechanics are backed up for weeks with repairs. Currently having rear derailleur issues that I cannot fix, but my mechanic does not have time.

I only have one bike, so I cannot leave it at the mechanic for such a long time. Even Velofix is busy. My bicycle is my only escape in my **** life, so I want to ride again!
Old 12-03-20, 12:33 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
There really shouldn't be any rear mech issue you can't fix yourself with a little effort. Head over to YouTube and watch some videos on the Park Tool channel. It sure beats being bikeless and waiting! Good luck!
Old 12-04-20, 02:14 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
The issue is the components. Pretty sure it is the pulleys, which I will not even bothering replacing myself. Either that or the cassette (which I can replace, but cannot find one for sale).
Old 12-04-20, 02:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
The issue is the components. Pretty sure it is the pulleys, which I will not even bothering replacing myself. Either that or the cassette (which I can replace, but cannot find one for sale).
the offer still stands...i can be in la on monday, tuesday or wednesday...
Old 12-04-20, 03:05 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts

there was this guy that recabled my bike at a moment’s notice in silverlake about six years ago (october 1st, 2014) at 7:30am. hit him up about two years later at 8am becuz the riding buddy’s chain broke over near
los feliz/hyperion. she seems to break a chain every two years or so. had me/us back on the road both times within 20 mins. he was at the east corner of the griffith park/edgecliffe intersection and on the edge of the
sunset triangle plaza. pretty close to golden saddle cyclery. good-sized storage unit with a roll-up door tucked into the west side of a single story building loaded to the gills with bikes of all styles and parts.
found him on google originally but not seeing him now. it was a commuter's shop. whatever it took to get you back on the road. his work-both times-was much better than that and lasted the test of time.
charged ridiculously low prices and gladly paid double his asking price both times. hope he's still there because this would truly be a year where he's needed. definitely worth a drive/ride-by to see if he's still there.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-04-20 at 03:28 AM.