Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum AFS brake disc mounting system

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-03-20, 08:11 AM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Does anyone have Fulcrum disc brake wheels? I am doing a frame-up build and am considering a Fulcrum wheelset. But I don't understand the proprietary "AFS" rotor mounting system that Fulcrum has. Can anyone give me a tutorial? Specifically, how does the system allow for 142mm AND 135mm dropout measurements? How do the rotors mount and what type of rotors do I need - centerlock or 6-bolt? Do I need adapters or lockrings? And I have a bunch more questions. Thanks.
Old 12-03-20, 08:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Looking at Fulcrum's web site it appears "AFS" is just their marketing name for their axle positioning system. These hubs take 12mm x100 front and 12mm x142 rear through axles and use a centerlock disc mount. Lockrings probably come with the hubs and use an external notch (bottom bracket tool for installation and removal. The rear hub could be used with adapters to use a standard 135mm QR skewer.
Old 12-03-20, 11:24 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Looking at Fulcrum's web site it appears "AFS" is just their marketing name for their axle positioning system. These hubs take 12mm x100 front and 12mm x142 rear through axles and use a centerlock disc mount. Lockrings probably come with the hubs and use an external notch (bottom bracket tool for installation and removal. The rear hub could be used with adapters to use a standard 135mm QR skewer.
Yup. Make sure you get a good quality bottom bracket tool (44mm and not 41 outer Diameter). Things like the Pedro's or other cheap tools don't work well. Also, the rings are a little soft so tighten to spec but do it carefully. You don't want to damage the notches so that you have issues later trying to remove the ring. And yes, I have done that. ):
Old 12-03-20, 11:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Some disc rotors come with their own lockrings and Shimano's rotors use the same lockring tool as their cassettes. I don't know if the Fulcrum hubs use the same threads as Shimano hubs or if this type of lockring would work.
Old 12-03-20, 11:37 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Some disc rotors come with their own lockrings and Shimano's rotors use the same lockring tool as their cassettes. I don't know if the Fulcrum hubs use the same threads as Shimano hubs or if this type of lockring would work.
The fulcrum lock rings are different. Shimano uses cassette locking while Fulcrum uses a larger locking.
Old 12-03-20, 12:20 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I just bought Fulcrum racing 3 disc wheels and put Campy centerlock rotors on them. The wheels come with the lock rings. I used a Shimano standard wrench on the lock rings - Park BBT-9. I also have a very old Park BBT-19 cup type wrench with a 3/8" square drive that worked, but not perfectly. I later face sanded the cup type wrench on my vertical disc sander to give the teeth a better grip.

Eventually, owners of Campy or Fulcrum disc wheels will need a special plastic tool to hold the axle internally, while the left hand threaded lock nut on the end of the axle is removed. Without it, you can't remove a freehub body or service the bearings. The tool is a plastic hex wrench. Campy warns not to try an ordinary hex wrench or the thin walled aluminum axle may be damaged.
Old 12-06-20, 07:53 PM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Fulcrum axle size and dropout width

OK, so far so good, I think? Confused about the rear hub/dropout width. Just give it to me straight, please. Do Fulcrum hubs fit a frame with 135mm rear dropout measurement? Sorry to be so dense! Doug
Old 12-07-20, 09:47 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Look at the axle compatibility listing at the fulcrum website. The racing 4,5,6 list 142/135 axle compatibility, while the racingzero and racing 3 that I have only lists 142.

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/whe...ls/racing-6-DB

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-07-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-07-20, 01:50 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dougdunn
Does anyone have Fulcrum disc brake wheels? I am doing a frame-up build and am considering a Fulcrum wheelset. But I don't understand the proprietary "AFS" rotor mounting system that Fulcrum has. Can anyone give me a tutorial? Specifically, how does the system allow for 142mm AND 135mm dropout measurements? How do the rotors mount and what type of rotors do I need - centerlock or 6-bolt? Do I need adapters or lockrings? And I have a bunch more questions. Thanks.
The rotors need a Shimano Hollow-Tech II bottom-bracket tool (Park BBT-9 or similar).