Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 09-05-20, 02:07 PM
Dave_in_SF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything about this serial #?

KS 31 3024

i just got this bike and would love to learn more about it.
Old 09-06-20, 08:40 AM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My dad just recently gave me his treasured Nishiki racing bike. He couldn't tell me much about it but I think it looks really cool and may want to restore it. I was hoping that someone could help me in determining more specific details about the bike but also give me some insights into what parts where most likely to have been mounted at sale.

The bike was purchased in Denmark hence does not reflect any of the serial number formatting presented here but I read some replies discussing how danish bikes were different in the numbering.
On the bottom bracket it says BT 2584 U just above the famous "N". Also, just above the serial number on the seat tube it says J47. Any ideas? From the numbering I would assume June, 1984 but don't know what the letters stand for. Any suggestions what a ´84 model would have had for components?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-20, 02:14 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy85
My dad just recently gave me his treasured Nishiki racing bike. He couldn't tell me much about it but I think it looks really cool and may want to restore it. I was hoping that someone could help me in determining more specific details about the bike but also give me some insights into what parts where most likely to have been mounted at sale.

The bike was purchased in Denmark hence does not reflect any of the serial number formatting presented here but I read some replies discussing how danish bikes were different in the numbering.
On the bottom bracket it says BT 2584 U just above the famous "N". Also, just above the serial number on the seat tube it says J47. Any ideas? From the numbering I would assume June, 1984 but don't know what the letters stand for. Any suggestions what a ´84 model would have had for components?

Thanks in advance
The BT prefix of the serial number indicates that it was imported to Denmark by Taarnby, while the U suffix indicates 1981. However, if it was late 1981, it could be a 1982 model. The presence of SunTour Cyclone Mk II, would suggest the latter, as that was the debut model year for this version. The Shimano crankset appears to be a later replacement. We've had European mid-range Nishiki turn up under names like Trim Master, Road Master and Race Master, so it's likely some variant of the Master model name.
Old 09-06-20, 03:08 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Dave_in_SF
KS 31 3024

i just got this bike and would love to learn more about it.
Welcome to the forums. The serial number indicates that the bicycle was manufactured by Kawamura of Japan for West Coast Cycle Supply, the California based importer and distributor. The date is circa 1974. It could be a 1974 or 1975 model.

The presence of stamped dropouts, top tube cable stops and flat stay caps suggests an entry level model with a hi-tensile frame. The presence of stem mounted shift levers and brake safety levers also supports this level. This suggests either one of the Sport variants or an Olympic. The lower fork legs appear to be silver paint, as does the fork crown, part of the bottom bracket shell and possibly even portions of the headset. The questions is whether the fork blades were painted to cover rusting of actual chrome or whether they were just painted to simulate chrome. This would help differentiate an Olympic from one of the Sports variants.

The wheels have aluminum rims but they are mismatched suggesting at least one is a replacement. The pedals are definite replacements. The headset has a hanger for an era and level appropriate centre-pull brake, suggesting that the brake calipers have been replaced. I can't comment on the crankset and derailleurs due to the non-drive side photo.

It's definitely a mid-1970s entry level that has been significantly modified, complicating identification of the exact model.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-07-20, 01:41 PM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The BT prefix of the serial number indicates that it was imported to Denmark by Taarnby, while the U suffix indicates 1981. However, if it was late 1981, it could be a 1982 model. The presence of SunTour Cyclone Mk II, would suggest the latter, as that was the debut model year for this version. The Shimano crankset appears to be a later replacement. We've had European mid-range Nishiki turn up under names like Trim Master, Road Master and Race Master, so it's likely some variant of the Master model name.
Hi T-Mar
Thanks for the info. I guess i wasn't to far off with the year.
Mid-range? I thought the ONP was the top of the line or is it meant in accordance with the groupset? What would be the top of the line in terms of components in 1982? Suntour Superbe?
Old 09-08-20, 11:19 AM
uncleyimmy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Bushwhacker....

Hi...brand new member here. suggested this thread.
Anyway from reading the thread intro, it seems like this bike might be quite old....

Nishiki Bushwhacker
18" frame, 21 speed, rear U-brakes, single-unit handlebar&stem
Serial CH 2543

(FYI, The site won't let me attach photos, until I make 10 more posts..)

Anyway....per your serial no. criteria, Canadian-made by Norco....1978 ?!?
Any correction and insights much appreciated.
Old 09-08-20, 11:42 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by uncleyimmy
Hi...brand new member here. suggested this thread.
Anyway from reading the thread intro, it seems like this bike might be quite old....

Nishiki Bushwhacker
18" frame, 21 speed, rear U-brakes, single-unit handlebar&stem
Serial CH 2543

(FYI, The site won't let me attach photos, until I make 10 more posts..)

Anyway....per your serial no. criteria, Canadian-made by Norco....1978 ?!?
Any correction and insights much appreciated.
Welcome to the forums. Your Bushwacker was manufactured in 1988. There were no U-brakes in 1978, let alone production ATBs. Being 1988 manufacture, it could be a 1988 or 1989 model but my 1989 Canadian literature shows all the ATB models with fade paint schemes, so yours should be a 1988 model.
Old 09-08-20, 12:47 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Stormy85
Hi T-Mar
Thanks for the info. I guess i wasn't to far off with the year.
Mid-range? I thought the ONP was the top of the line or is it meant in accordance with the groupset? What would be the top of the line in terms of components in 1982? Suntour Superbe?
The top model depends on the country, as the bicycles were designed for local markets. For instance in 1981, the USA models were designed by West Coast Cycle Supply and the top model was the Professional with Camagnolo, while in Canada they were designed by Norco and the top model was the Superbe with SunTour Superbe. The only way to know for sure about your bicycle is to find a 1982 Danish catalogue.

Having said that, Cyclone Mk II was typical spec'd on mid-range models due to its price and position in the SunTour hierarchy. In 1982 the top SunTour models were Superbe Pro, followed by Superbe, then Cyclone. Depending on preference in the Danish market, it;s just as conceivable that the high end models were spec'd with Campagnolo Nuovo Record or Super Record, or Shimano Dura-Ace AX or EX. Again, you'd need to find a Danish reference, to be sure.

As for the ONP, it was a frameset offered in the late 1970s for a short period of time. They all have unique a serial number format and I have yet to see one from the 1980s.
Old 09-08-20, 01:47 PM
uncleyimmy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Bushwhacker....

Thanks T-Mar. An '88 is still pretty shocking....I just got it for almost nothing, seems to have all original mechanicals, and really rides nice.

I thought I read on your original post serial code criteria that Norco only made these bikes in Canada up to 1987.....?
(There is a sticker on the chain stay "Designed by NORCO")
And I mistakenly thought the term for the weird under-the-frame positioned rear brakes was "U-brakes"..what is the term for this set-up?
Old 09-08-20, 04:46 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by uncleyimmy
Thanks T-Mar. An '88 is still pretty shocking....I just got it for almost nothing, seems to have all original mechanicals, and really rides nice.

I thought I read on your original post serial code criteria that Norco only made these bikes in Canada up to 1987.....?
(There is a sticker on the chain stay "Designed by NORCO")
And I mistakenly thought the term for the weird under-the-frame positioned rear brakes was "U-brakes"..what is the term for this set-up?
If you look back and check the original post you'll see a asterisk behind the date range. The asterisk refers you to a disclaimer at the bottom of the section, stating "Serial number format may extend beyond the stated end date but there are no reported examples, to date." Basically, it's an evolving document, that I'm periodically amending as more data is collected.

The brakes mounted under the chain stays are generically referred to a 'chain stay mounted brakes'. There are two styles that were typically used used in this location. One is the Roller-Cam and the other is the U-brake. Both are variations on the traditional centre-pull brake but were designed specifically for off-road use. The latter was introduced just around the time that chain stay mounting was being popular but the Roller-Cam precedes it and was not specifically designed for chain stay mounting, though it worked well in that application. There are several cases where manufacturers used both in a traditional seat stay location and even on the front fork.
Old 09-08-20, 05:38 PM
uncleyimmy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Bushwhacker....

Thanks again, T-Mar.
Digging into this, I perhaps have found some more 'triangulation' info to add. The derailleurs, brakes, and levers are all branded Shimano Exage 'mountain LX'. From a quick Google, the 'mountain LX' line was only available starting in 1989 (and one site says only for that one year..?).

So maybe the frame was built and painted in '88, but the bike actually finished in 1989....?
Old 09-27-20, 06:26 AM
tomsti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki Professional Golden Brown

Greetings, new user here.

I have recently aquired a Nishiki Professional, golden brown color. I have been told by the seller that it's a 1974 model, but i am struggeling to interpret the serial number to confirm.
I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

The serial number is as follows: EJ100233

Thanks
Old 09-27-20, 08:32 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by tomsti
Greetings, new user here.

I have recently aquired a Nishiki Professional, golden brown color. I have been told by the seller that it's a 1974 model, but i am struggeling to interpret the serial number to confirm.
I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

The serial number is as follows: EJ100233

Thanks
Welcome to the forums. Based on the serial number it should be a European market model manufactured in 1980.
Old 09-27-20, 08:49 AM
tomsti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. Based on the serial number it should be a European market model manufactured in 1980.
Thank you, and thanks for the help
Old 10-04-20, 08:54 PM
60YearMechanic

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still confused by these serial numbers

I recently purchased a Nishiki International from an estate sale. The previous owner had made many modifications such as upright bars with thumb shifters and Dia-Compe XCM brake levers. The serial number located on the bottom bracket shell is KI 09770. I am confused by the information provided by T-Mar for figuring out which manufacturer and what year this bike was made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-05-20, 06:40 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 60YearMechanic
I recently purchased a Nishiki International from an estate sale. The previous owner had made many modifications such as upright bars with thumb shifters and Dia-Compe XCM brake levers. The serial number located on the bottom bracket shell is KI 09770. I am confused by the information provided by T-Mar for figuring out which manufacturer and what year this bike was made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums. Your International should be a 1979 or 1980 model manufactured in 1979 by Kawamura of Japan. Please post a photo for confirmation.
Old 10-24-20, 02:37 AM
Keevo31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!
Just registered site, and i have to dig into this topic, but can someone shed some light to my new find/project:
Nishiki Road Master

I really like it, and it fits me fine! Any guesses manufactory year?

(and yes i´m already cleaned it up. Picture as bought. )

Maybe you can see the pictures on my album? Serian number is:
88F0

Cheers!
Old 10-24-20, 09:15 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Keevo31
Hi!
Just registered site, and i have to dig into this topic, but can someone shed some light to my new find/project:
Nishiki Road Master

I really like it, and it fits me fine! Any guesses manufactory year?

(and yes i´m already cleaned it up. Picture as bought. )

Maybe you can see the pictures on my album? Serian number is:
88F0

Cheers!
Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the SunTour Edge components, your bicycle is a 1989 model that was manufactured in 1988. Photo assist...
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-23-20, 02:44 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
Yeah, not a Nishiki but I'm wondering if you know which Japanese bicycle factory/makers put their serial numbers on the seat tube near the bb?
Old 12-02-20, 10:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
There's a Nishiki Manitoba on CL, and I can't find any info on it, beyond a very low res page on mombatbicycles.com. Seller says it's a 1990, SN# 119(0? 8?)363.

It's filthy, and a bit chewed up, but no real rust, new tubes and tires, and only $25 (if it's still there). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-20, 10:06 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Korina
There's a Nishiki Manitoba on CL, and I can't find any info on it, beyond a very low res page on mombatbicycles.com. Seller says it's a 1990, SN# 119(0? 8?)363.

It's filthy, and a bit chewed up, but no real rust, new tubes and tires, and only $25 (if it's still there). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The serial number doesn't seem to fit but it's definitely the 1990 version based on the decals, monostay and Shimano 200GS components. This is an entry level ATB, 9th in Nishiki's 10 model, adult ATB line. Shimano 200GS was 7th in their ATB group hierarchy. The frame is plain gauge CrMo in the three main tubes. The west coast MSRP was $339 US.

The bicycle is set up as a commuter/city bicycle, with new "slick tires". The sellers mentions the possibility of needing new shift units because "shifting into the lowest gear is a bit sticky". This is not uncommon with older Rapidfire units and often can be rectified with aerosol solvent and new lubrication. It could also be a simple adjustment or cable issue, though you should budget for new units, just in case. Cosmetic condition is average for a three decades old ATB. Drivetrain wear appears to quite low. My concern is the lack of pedals and what the seller might be trying to hide by omitting them, as the price barely covers his investment in the new tubes and tyres. I'd definitely be taking my own pedals and wrench, so that I could test ride the bicycle. Also, do the usual checks for stuck seat post and handlebar stem.

You should have had this post several hours ago but we had a power outage just as I was about submit.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-03-20, 04:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Thanks, T-Mar; timing is everything.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. It needs a complete tear down, clean, and lube, including the sticky shifters. The lack of rust is notable because northwestern Humboldt County is damp, and everything rusts; if you let it sit still for too long, moss and lichen will grow wherever the rust isn't.

Last edited by Korina; 12-04-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 10:29 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Nishiki Competition pre 75

Picked up some more wall art for the bike cave. Another serial number for T-Mar / KS241532

West Coast Cycle Supply Company
Old 12-13-20, 03:15 PM
Nishikihara9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird serial number

SO11F373

Nice Nishiki Olympic 12 I just bought.
trying to figure out more.
any help???

thanks!
KJ
Old 12-15-20, 11:33 PM
Spendog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1979 Nishiki International build

Picked up a Nishiki frame for a hundred bones off of craigslist last week. He said it was a 1979 International--looks about right to me based on what I can see on the net.

Nice dropouts and fork ends, "double butted chrome molybdenum" sticker (frame feels pretty light)-- Suntour GTW dropouts and Tange chrome tipped ends. Chromed upside down "U" typical Tange style fork crown. Nishiki head badge in the the old American Eagle style (but reads nishiki). Sport touring geometry if my research serves me right. Pin striping lugs, MIJ, logos look more 80s than 70s but the frame build is more 70s than 80s-- changing of the guard I guess.

Serial number on the BB: KI 15999, with a stylized "W" underneath (not allowed to upload pics yet cause I'm new)

Came with potentially original stem, headset, and seat post. Stem is a WIII, about 3.5". Seatpost is cool and funky-- two bolt design that looks like the precusor to the modern high end standard. Headset looks like a Tange, nothing fancy, knurled top cup.

decent bit of rust in spots throughout but overall looks pretty clean. I did some steel wool and scraping work before hitting the whole thing with frame saver.

Plan is to build it up as a fast and fun ride--planning to mount my Tagaki Tourney XT crank on it (minus the granny gear to clear chainstays). That would give me 46 and 36 up front. I have a vintage sugino 127 offset BB in wonderful shape too, its either that or a new promax 108mm sealed BB. Ive got a super clean 6 speed sun tour procompe free wheel ~14-28. Planning to run my set of 700c Weinmann reverse concave rims. I ordered some fancy Challenge Dune cross tires for it too.

Probably will run diacompe center pulls (I have a pair, fingers crossed they reach 700c on this bike). I have an old TA specialties center pull mounted front rack that I think would be a fun additon---plus I don't have any decent sidepulls. I bought the Nitto Rando 44cm bars for this bike (have it on another bike and i like it). Planning to run two suntour bar cons for shifting, likely with an ARX front mech and VX or VGT rear derailleur. Ive got a nice set of drilled shimano 600 non aero levers to run as well. Ideally I can find a used selle SMP pro model or vintage Avocet touring saddle to cap it off. (maybe old SR pedals with boot clips, or thermalites)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.