Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cork grip ??'s

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cork grip ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 09:10 PM
daddybland
Crazy Unicorn Mafia

Bikes: Nottingham built Raleigh fanatic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cork grip ??'s

Anyone know of any cork grips in road bar size(23.8) or can you mod the 22.2 ones to fit? I have Belleville bars from VO on my 3speed path racer and want to use cork for a classier look.

Also can you paint/stain cork before laquering?

Thanks
Old 01-27-10, 11:03 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
All of mine are stained and shellaced to match my Brooks saddles. I can't answer your othe question.
Old 01-27-10, 11:33 AM
helicomatic
nice idea, poor execution

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daddybland
can you mod the 22.2 ones to fit?
I think you might be able to it with a lot of patience, and maybe a few sets of grips. The grips are made in the same way as an agglomerate wine cork, smaller pieces of cork are glued and pressed together. Because of this, they are pretty fragile once you start to cut into them. We used to modify cork grips to fit bar end shifters on Nitto Albatross bars (these are thin enough to be 22.2 outer diameter but at about 20mm I.D. a bar-end still fits inside.) By cutting a hole in the end, and filing a small slot on the underside, the housing cleared the grip enough to be usable. It was generally a 2:1 success to failure rate, because the grips tended to split apart when modified. Now for the most part we just use Paul Thumbies if the customer wants cork grips, less labor intensive, less waste.

Maybe someone can come up with a way to increase the diameter without causing the grip to fall apart.
Old 01-27-10, 11:48 AM
helicomatic
nice idea, poor execution

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, right after I posted that I went and tried to just slide cork grips onto a road bar...

On a Nitto drop bar, they went on with some pretty serious resistance until the bar started to curve, then the end split. Serious resistance meaning bare bars pushed down into a grip resting on the bench, with me holding the grip in my other hand as some deterrent to splitting. Putting a second one on without drilling a hole to let the air out might be impossible.

I've got one soaking in water that I'll try tomorrow morning and see what it does.
Old 01-27-10, 03:20 PM
daddybland
Crazy Unicorn Mafia

Bikes: Nottingham built Raleigh fanatic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks alot for the help guys. Kevin, you are going above and beyond. I never thiught of souking them, I was goung to stick some 220 grit to a dowel rod and sand the inside but an overnight bath sounds much easier. Hope it works!!!!!! Thanks again. The frame is off at powdercoat now, I'll post some pics when its back together(or if you are at NAHBS, you can see it in person.)