Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Ergon grips a big improvement over Trek IsoZone grips ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 07:09 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Are the Ergon basic GS1 grips much better than the Trek IsoZone grips? I currently have the IsoZone grips on a standard handlebar so I dont have the inner rubber padding on the bar, I just have the grip itself. and Ive already got bar ends so I wouldnt need the Ergons with the built in bar ends.
Old 06-28-14, 10:00 AM
Daddy Wags

Bikes: Raleigh Mountain 200.....Giant Escape 0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
Are the Ergon basic GS1 grips much better than the Trek IsoZone grips? I currently have the IsoZone grips on a standard handlebar so I dont have the inner rubber padding on the bar, I just have the grip itself. and Ive already got bar ends so I wouldnt need the Ergons with the built in bar ends.
Having just tested a handful of performance hybrids, like the Trek FX's, I found the FX grips to be the most comfortable. I ended up buying Giant Escape and will probably replace the stock grips with Ergon GP 5's aka GC 3. In my research, riders rave about the Ergon grips. At my LBS I saw them first hand and they appeared to be a quality product.
Old 06-28-14, 10:18 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
My Fuji Absolute came with Oval Ergo grips and I swapped them out for Ergon GP2 grips with the small bar ends. While the Ergon grips are more firm, they are a big improvement because of the multiple options to place the hands. I would say the Trek grips I've tried were better than the Oval grips, but I would make the switch to Ergons.
Old 06-28-14, 10:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have Ergon GR3 , but they're on my Brompton, (shorter bar-end doesnt messwith the fold much)

GR5 is their longest bar end .. full fist grip end.

Big Flat surface is a help ..

the integration of a bar end with the grip means you dont have the hard metal clamp
digging into your hand .. I wouldn't be attached to your existing metal bar end ..

compare ?, not realistic, I don't own an IsoZone too.

Ergon's 1 in & 1 out on a cardboard tube packaging allows you , in the Bike Shop,
to hold the grip in your hand and feel it .

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-28-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-28-14, 07:56 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally cannot recommend Ergon grips with integrated bar ends. At a later date, if you decided you wanted a different style bar end, there is no inexpensive solution. You would have to buy another Ergon grip with bar end or buy separate grip and bar ends. Good bar ends can be had for $20 or less. Ergons grips with bar ends are not cheap at all.
Old 06-28-14, 08:18 PM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed the ergon gc5 on my giant. I went for a 32 mile ride today after installing them and I love them. I like them better Han the isozone. There's a larger flat area to lay your palms on. I like the fill length bar ends because I can put my hands anywhere.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 06-29-14, 07:14 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have the Ergon GP-1,s and love them. Can't speak to the Trek grips, but the adaptability, adjustability of the GP-1s is wonderful. You can add anything to them. Bar ends, bolt on drops, Myrricle mirrors, etc
Old 07-01-14, 08:31 AM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have Ergon GP5s, and absolutely love them. Would never go back to just the flat bar. The grip itself is MUCH more comfortable for longer distances, and the bar ends offer several more hand positions, and if you mount them pointing mostly forward, a more stretched out position to get more weight over your front tire on climbs, which I find helps as well.
Old 07-01-14, 03:55 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Ergrom GS2 and love them. Very comfortable!
Old 07-03-14, 08:24 AM
Ergon
Bike Ergonomics

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the kind words!

Just a heads up, the Trek IsoZone grips and bars only fit Trek IsoZone products. So other brand grips will NOT fit on an IsoZone handlebar. If you have a Trek IsoZone handlebar and grips, you will need to purchase a new handlebar to fit Ergon grips....or any other brand of grips. The IsoZone products are not an industry standard in the grip area.

This was brought to our attention by some Trek dealers as well as other Ergon users who tried to fit our grips to an IsoZone handlebar.

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA
Likes For Ergon:
Old 08-04-21, 01:57 PM
lemiklos

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ergon

Just a heads up, the Trek IsoZone grips and bars only fit Trek IsoZone products. So other brand grips will NOT fit on an IsoZone handlebar. If you have a Trek IsoZone handlebar and grips, you will need to purchase a new handlebar to fit Ergon grips....or any other brand of grips. The IsoZone products are not an industry standard in the grip area.

This was brought to our attention by some Trek dealers as well as other Ergon users who tried to fit our grips to an IsoZone handlebar.

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA
I wish I'd read this prior to purchasing the Ergon GP5 grips and taken them to get installed at my Trek bike shop. Apparently, they got everything apart and tried installation before finding out they won't fit on the Isobar of my Women's Trek FX4. I was told I'd have to get a new bar if I wanted to use the GP5 grips. Is that the only fix? Asking since this post is 7 years old and didn't know if things changed or there was an adapter or something out there to resolve the issue.
Old 08-04-21, 04:50 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ergon

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA
Good to know. Thank you.
Old 08-05-21, 05:21 AM
encode2

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Escape 2.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a set of GP3 and find them more comfortable than the stock grips.
Old 08-05-21, 08:38 AM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just installed the SQLabs 702 grips on my Isobar. What an improvement. The isogrips have to be the biggest bust on the market when it comes to grips. I was constantly getting numbness, especially on slower, social rides.

For those wondering, they work just fine over the white foam.

Next step is to change out the SQLabs 411 for the 410/402. These integrate with the 702 grips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk