Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava TT

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava TT

Old 07-16-20, 08:00 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Strava TT

I know little to nothing about Strava. And there is a Time Trial this weekend that uses Strava to record your ride. How does it all work? Do I have to start the Strava app or does it start and stop automatically. I downloaded the app to my phone but havent logged in. This is all new to me. It would be fun to see where I stand compared to other riders. Helllllp!
Old 07-16-20, 08:04 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
You start Strava
Record
Select Bike
Start

then ride like there is no tomorrow
Old 07-17-20, 04:26 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If you have a Garmin, Wahoo or other smart bike computer, you can just use that and it will upload to Strava. Or you can use the app as Dr Max described - easy to use.
Old 07-17-20, 05:12 AM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Press that red circle.
Old 07-17-20, 05:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
The course is registered as a "segment" on Strava. You ride and Strava records a GPS track and times for any segments you cover. As pointed out, you can also use any GPS-enabled device that will generate a .fit, .tcx, or .gpx file. As stated above, all you have to do is start recording when you get on the bike and stop and upload when you get off. Good luck!
Old 07-17-20, 10:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Not sure how that one is, but here locally it was recommended to do a standing start at some distance short of the segment start. This way, you start far enough from the segment start to "get credit" but you're also not doing a fast flying start either.

Have fun.
Old 07-17-20, 11:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have a local strava TT series every Thursday here. The guy who organizes it rides the route ahead of time and creates a segment. Everyone who wants to participate in it just has to ride the segment sometime on Thursday. All you have to do is start Strava when you start your ride. No need to do anything at the start of the segment. Then Thursday night you log on and compare your time on that segment.
Old 07-17-20, 11:42 AM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We have a local strava TT series every Thursday here. The guy who organizes it rides the route ahead of time and creates a segment. Everyone who wants to participate in it just has to ride the segment sometime on Thursday. All you have to do is start Strava when you start your ride. No need to do anything at the start of the segment. Then Thursday night you log on and compare your time on that segment.
I know you can filter a segment leaderboard for the day, but it would be cool to see something like this more supported by the site; “Temporary Segments” or something like that. Set up a segment and a time frame and it only looks at rides during that time period. Afterwards, the segment could go away, or simply serve as a historical mark of that event. Organized rides are notorious for getting duplicate segments created to cover the full length of the ride and sometimes you can find segments that are exactly the same, except for the year in the title.
Likes For vandalarchitect:
Old 07-17-20, 12:03 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
I know you can filter a segment leaderboard for the day, but it would be cool to see something like this more supported by the site; “Temporary Segments” or something like that. Set up a segment and a time frame and it only looks at rides during that time period. Afterwards, the segment could go away, or simply serve as a historical mark of that event. Organized rides are notorious for getting duplicate segments created to cover the full length of the ride and sometimes you can find segments that are exactly the same, except for the year in the title.
This was what I was waiting for with Strava. You can filter results by weight and club or date.........I'd just prefer the ability for a club to have their own segments.

I know there is a very logical reason for it, but I still don't like how with Strava you have to pre-ride a route before creating the segment. I know it's easy enough to make it after then update the activity..........but........c'mon. Roads open and close all the time. You could ride a legit route just to have construction close it a week later.

Reason I mention this is if you're going to only ride somewhere once, perhaps, and would like to see the "live segment" on that one and only ride. You can't do the live segment if it doesn't exist yet.

Example is when I did a weekend in French mountains there was a climb that if you started down at the one side of a tiny town and continued left at the mountain top, the ensuing extra little elevation would make it a Cat 1 climb. But, the segment ended a full mile or two short at the little town on the one side. I would have loved to have a live segment for that climb. Sure, I created it after the fact.........but c'mon.
Old 07-17-20, 12:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We do something very similar, but the course doesn't change and most people ride it in a regular, socially distanced, start order assigned the day before. Big fun.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-17-20, 02:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That's a good way too. Most of our races have been on a canal path which is a well-known TT course, and they've been variations on that. But we've also had a couple of hill climbs and a gravel TT. That was fun.
Old 07-17-20, 02:51 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I know little to nothing about Strava. And there is a Time Trial this weekend that uses Strava to record your ride. How does it all work? Do I have to start the Strava app or does it start and stop automatically. I downloaded the app to my phone but havent logged in. This is all new to me. It would be fun to see where I stand compared to other riders. Helllllp!
I am jealous no racing this summer.
Old 07-17-20, 05:34 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Test your phone with strava before heading out, Strava doesn't work on my phone to record rides, it just crashes. I use RWGPS to record anything if I'm using my phone, it doesn't crash and I can upload that file to strava later without any troubles.
Old 07-19-20, 05:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
How was it?