Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel specific water bottles..

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-12-20, 07:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

so I found the answer to the dirty water bottle mouth piece..
I bought two on sale lovely simple solution.
Jimmy what for mouth piece.
works well high end bottles on off plus covers.

gravel bottled
Old 07-12-20, 08:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I've seen capped bottles. Good design for those that are getting mud and horse/cow crap flung up and into mouth pieces of their bottles.

I just use the same bottles as I always do. If the top is dusty, ill just accept that as life or wipe it off with my sweaty dirty hand.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-13-20, 04:00 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I like the Podium bottles, but the fact that stuff gets down in the valve is a downfall of the design. It kind of defeats the purpose of the Podium valves, if I have to pop off a valve cover with my teeth and then figure out how to get it back on with one hand. Maybe I'll just go back to the regular valve bottles and wipe it off on my jersey before taking a drink.
Old 07-13-20, 04:38 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
For offroad, I've switched to hydration packs; ejected bottles on a hot summer day in the middle of nowhere is not fun.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-13-20, 06:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
For offroad, I've switched to hydration packs; ejected bottles on a hot summer day in the middle of nowhere is not fun.
Yeah when I ride singletrack, I'll use a bottle if I'm riding with my wife or kids as we will for sure be on more tame track at slower speeds. Rare times i go to some challenging singletrack around me, I have a hydration pack.

...but thats for mountain biking and this is gravel roads.
Old 07-13-20, 07:37 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
so I found the answer to the dirty water bottle mouth piece..
I bought two on sale lovely simple solution.
Jimmy what for mouth piece.
works well high end bottles on off plus covers.

gravel bottled
I picked up a pair of bottles like that about a month ago. They work great. No need to fumble with the cap, take it off and put it on while the bottle is in the cage. Seems to work well for me. I prefer the large insulated camelback bottles and those caps screwed right onto them.
Old 07-18-20, 07:42 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'll keep my bottles naked and just spit the gravel bits back out at whoever is trying to pass me!

Or more seroously, I find that the bottle on top of my down tube staus reasonably clean and I just switch that clean cap onto my underneath bottle when it is time to move that one up...

Sometimes I freeze a bottle the day before and bring it for something still cold after the first hour or so, but after that everything is pretty much 'room temperature.'

Last edited by dwmckee; 07-18-20 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-18-20, 08:26 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Someone bought me a podium that came with the dustcap a year or two ago, liked it so much I bought a few extra for my other podiums. They are very handy for keeping crud out of your mouth...Around here this time of year, it’s either a dusty day or muddy day.
Old 07-19-20, 01:48 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 80 Posts
Seemingly every animal poops on the gravel MUP's around here. I rubber band a plastic bag over my spare water one liter bottles until needed then pour them into a clean 22 ounce bottle in my handlebar bag.

Is there a one liter bottle with a cap?
Old 07-19-20, 02:38 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I use those on my winter/rain bike. They are a game changer when the Northeast roads are covered in salty sandy crud.
Old 07-21-20, 02:49 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I got one as a filler for my wife's Sierra order as I could've used an extra bottle. I'm sold! Could be a bit bigger in volume, but it looks like you can just buy the cap separately (https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Podi...dp/B07HGSJ4K9/ - this should really be $2) and put on a regular Podium bottle. The cap is a wee bit shallow but it does work.

Old 07-23-20, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I'll keep my bottles naked and just spit the gravel bits back out at whoever is trying to pass me!

Or more seroously, I find that the bottle on top of my down tube staus reasonably clean and I just switch that clean cap onto my underneath bottle when it is time to move that one up...

Sometimes I freeze a bottle the day before and bring it for something still cold after the first hour or so, but after that everything is pretty much 'room temperature.'
Good idea, I'm gonna steal it. For those of us in Amish country, that mud on the road might contain horse manure - last thing I need is e-coli or some such.
Old 07-23-20, 07:47 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts

Nalgene All Terrain Water Bottle (Clear w/ Black Cap) (22oz)

Last edited by MaxKatt; 07-23-20 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 01:13 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I swear by the Podium caps here in dry and dusty SoCal. Previously on every ride my bottles would be dusty, I'd have to squirt some water out to clear them, etc.
And think of some of the nasty stuff you CAN'T see that gets in your mouthpiece.
Old 07-27-20, 02:07 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by good4u
Seemingly every animal poops on the gravel MUP's around here.
Oh, shoot, I've just been using my bottles without even thinking about the animal poo. Now I think I'll have to order a bunch of the nalgene bottles...
Old 07-27-20, 08:35 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I find this kinda funny. When I ride my mountain bike I get home and the thing is either covered in mud in the winter or in brown powder in the summer and I I've never thought hmm my water bottle needs a cap. What's wrong with the Camelback podiums and let you squirt the water in your mouth without your mouth coming near it?