Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

out of round

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

out of round

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 07:31 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
out of round

i put a new rear tire on my fixed . when i put the wheel back on the bike i neglected to fully tighten down one of the axle nuts. i had semi tightened it when i was adjusting the chain tension. the nut was tight enough to handle a flat ride but when i came to a medium grade it gave way and canted the axle locking the wheel against the horizontal part of the rear triangle. luckily i avoided a crash. after i repositioned & TIGHTENED the wheel i spun it and noticed that it is slightly ( enough to notice when i flip the bike and spin the wheel) OUT OF ROUND....... the wheel is a 700c ...... 1 could jamming the wheel against the frame cause it to be out of round ? 2 how much out of round is unsafe enough to get a new wheel ?
Old 07-27-20, 08:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A badly jammed wheel/tire against the chain stay could cause a rim to become out of true laterally. If bad enough some radial out of true will result. But I suspect the wheel or tire was already out of round radially before the wheel cocked in the drop out and jammed against the stay.

The most common reason for the tire to look out of round in a localized spot is from it's not being seated well. Either a low spot from the tire bead being too far in the rim or a high point when the bead is not overlapping the rim's interior fully. The latter is often found at the valve area as the base of the valve can interfere with the tire's bead ability to seat down onto the rim bead shelf. Otherwise known as a tire hop.

But the rim could also be somewhat egg shaped from poor assembly or an incident. A common rim problem is a local flat spot from a pot hole impact. It should be evident by watching the rim's side wall edge passing by a stationary item, like the brake pad. Does the rim seem to undulate up and down? If not move your view to the top of the tire, does it seem to radially move up and down? A piece of masking tape stretched across the stays and just grazes the tire helps in this view.

As to how much of either is too much depends. Rim flat spots are generally not as bad except for the resulting braking affects. A tire that isn'yt properly seated can lead to a blow out which if happens at the wrong moment can be a real safety issue. Andy
Old 07-28-20, 04:40 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Wonder if you bent or broke the axle?

A quick spin in a truing stand will tell you if it is the rim or the tire causing the visual issues.
Old 07-28-20, 07:55 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
First, is the WHEEL out of round, or the TIRE?
Old 07-28-20, 06:43 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
it was the tire. i fixed it. even a blind hog ...
Old 07-28-20, 07:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Good job and thanks for the follow up post. Andy