Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is going on with Garmin Connect?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is going on with Garmin Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 03:21 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Reading some of the comments, I'm curious how you use a computer to post of BF ... based on the comments, I expect these posters should move into a shack in the mountains of Montana to work on their manifesto.

Back on topic, I'm happy to see everything Garmin appears to be working like it was a week ago. Desktop site was the last thing to start working, and it appears to be back to normal.

I'm interested to see any in depth reporting on what happened ... It will be months before we see anything like this and it may never make it out to the public.
Old 07-28-20, 04:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you're worried about the economy, you should have a garden making enough food to last a year. Relying on the whims of the market to feed yourself is like trusting Google with your data.
I already grow my own veggies.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-28-20, 05:04 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Slowly trying to get back to 100% pre-hack. Makes you wonder if Garmin succumbed to the hack? I doubt it but one never knows.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 07-28-20, 06:43 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I already grow my own veggies.
Do you make your own toilet paper?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-28-20, 06:44 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I know garmin connect is back up now because my strava feed is clogged up with everyone's old rides!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-28-20, 06:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Do you make your own toilet paper?
I use $100 bills.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-29-20, 11:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
It shouldn't be earthshaking news, but I hadn't thought about Garmin being public and will need to disclose if they paid the ransom.

As relieved as we all are, we can't help but wonder: did Garmin pay the $10 million ransom, as requested by the 'Evil Corp', or have the developers found a way to eliminate the threat somehow without paying the money? The Times suggests "Garmin must have paid a large ransom to recover computer files stolen by hackers", but until any official communication is received from Garmin, we can't be sure.
As a company listed on the stock exchange, Garmin will presumably have to confirm or refute this at some stage, unless the amount involved can be buried under 'miscellaneous sundries', like when we do our expenses.
https://www.t3.com/us/news/garmin-ou...ecovery-ransom

Also, love that last line
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 07-29-20, 12:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin is notoriously tight lipped. They issued a statement saying they didn't directly pay the group.

An article I read suggested the money may have been paid by their insurance. That idea raises more questions than it answers.

As a company, Garmin has been extremely profitable for years. I wonder if that will change. I know a lot of people considered Connect a fully safe place to store data, like Google or Microsoft. We all assumed they must have redundant backups etc. And this has definitely called that assumption into question. Judging from this thread, it's split whether users care about long term storage at Connect, but most people were annoyed at having to manually upload to Strava.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-29-20, 02:51 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I was only using Garmin Connect for years, with what happened I have added other databases of my data for my rides. I don't have anything tied to Garmin connect except ride data. I don't really want it out there but I was annoyed it was down. I am not sure how they got back up nor do I really care I am just glad its back.

The evil corp guy has FBI warrants and all that and being he is a Russian tied fella I am sure he is well protected by many. Good luck bringing this act to any justice.
Old 07-30-20, 08:47 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
My Garmin Connect mobile is still down. Even uninstalled and reinstalled back in the phone
Old 07-30-20, 09:45 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
My Garmin Connect mobile is still down. Even uninstalled and reinstalled back in the phone
Mine too.
Old 07-30-20, 10:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

For what it's worth @robbyville and @jimincalif the app is working for me. I just synced my sleep and HR data. Using Android. The "thanks for your patience" message is gone, like everything is back to normal. Sorry it's not working for you, hopefully it's some temporary thing.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-30-20, 10:51 AM
Germanrazor

I still have the warning at the top of my phone app as well and my phone will not sync from the watch yet. No sleep but it will every so often read HR. I assume they are still having some sporadic issues in places and will soon get it all worked out. If I were paying for this service I would be, well, a tad less patient for sure.

Hopefully by weekend's end it will be 100% again.

I still like my Garmin devices and the many things they do so I am still a customer for sure.
Old 07-30-20, 11:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I still have the warning at the top of my phone app as well and my phone will not sync from the watch yet. No sleep but it will every so often read HR. I assume they are still having some sporadic issues in places and will soon get it all worked out. If I were paying for this service I would be, well, a tad less patient for sure.

I still like my Garmin devices and the many things they do so I am still a customer for sure.
I had this screen this morning as well but everything was back working so not sure what the banner was all about. I went for a 25 mile ride and when I uploaded my ride after I got home the banner was gone. for what I do it was all back 100%. I am sure its not all there yet but I couldn't find anything not working for me right now.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-30-20, 12:32 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
It is now working again for me. Mine is the iPhone version FYI.
Old 07-30-20, 12:36 PM
Germanrazor

Originally Posted by jimincalif
It is now working again for me. Mine is the iPhone version FYI.
I run it on a Samsung so using Android. Up until the crash and hostile takeover.....worked like a Singer sewing machine.
Old 07-30-20, 03:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Germanrazor

Try plugging the watch into a computer with the cable, and using Garmin Express to sync. For some reason that often works when the phone doesn't. That's what I had to do when they first came back online.
Old 07-30-20, 03:39 PM
Germanrazor

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Try plugging the watch into a computer with the cable, and using Garmin Express to sync. For some reason that often works when the phone doesn't. That's what I had to do when they first came back online.
Awesome....thanks as I will try that.
Old 07-30-20, 03:54 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Just adding my experience: went for a ride on Sunday and had to manually upload the fit file to Ride With GPS in order to log it there. Rode again last night, and my Edge Explore automatically synced my results with Garmin Connect and Ride With GPS. Things are pretty much back to normal now, and I no longer see any warning boxes when I open the Connect app.
Old 08-27-20, 08:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
so did we ever get a satisfactory explanation? did they (illegally) pay up? how do we know this won't happen again in a week or six months?
Old 08-28-20, 04:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
All moot to me now. Thanks to advice in this thread, I upload my data from my Garmin Edge to my desk top and when I go onto Strava it's there as my most recent ride.
Old 08-28-20, 03:09 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
so did we ever get a satisfactory explanation? did they (illegally) pay up? how do we know this won't happen again in a week or six months?
No. Rumor & innuendo suggests that Garmin's insurance policy might have paid the ransom, but obviously we don't have any means to verify that. If those rumors are true, I think Garmin can legally say they did not pay, but that the insurance company did. As long as Garmin did not request for the insurer to pay the ransom, I think that might insulate them from any penalty.

The truth is, we'll probably never find out the whole story.
Old 08-29-20, 07:17 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
No. Rumor & innuendo suggests that Garmin's insurance policy might have paid the ransom, but obviously we don't have any means to verify that. If those rumors are true, I think Garmin can legally say they did not pay, but that the insurance company did. As long as Garmin did not request for the insurer to pay the ransom, I think that might insulate them from any penalty.

The truth is, we'll probably never find out the whole story.

I completely agree with this logic. Somebody paid because Garmin was down cold! they had too much at stake so either some insurance paid up to cut their losses or some investors paid up. After it went back up its like nothing ever happened.

In the end I don't really care, my stuff works and I now have an off line back up system. I learned a lesson myself.
Old 09-09-20, 03:46 AM
andrewpk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
germin connect is going.
Old 09-09-20, 03:47 AM
andrewpk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there anyone help me about germin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.