Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Old 08-03-20, 02:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Speak of the devil -

On the plus side, once you've finished it you don't have to eat for a week.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 02:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
On the plus side, once you've finished it you don't have to eat for a week.
But you may have to **** for a week.
Old 08-03-20, 02:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

But you may have to **** for a week.
Or, with all that cheese, you may simply wish you could.

Old 08-03-20, 02:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Which reminds me of something I saw a few years ago which convinced me American Society was headed for the Ash Heap Of History. It was a bacon cheesburger which used Krispy Kreme donuts instead of buns. "Sign of the Apocalypse", I said.

And here we are.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-03-20, 02:32 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
No, He's a tool Don't tell me what do.

Yep.

No one ever said Professional Cycling is a sport for everyone. I always wanted to be a jockey, but you won't find many that are 6'2" and 190lbs. I had to accept the reality, that it was never gonna happen, and move on.
I wasn't telling you what to do. I was pointing out that one is able to explain one's position and why one disagrees with another person's point of view without calling that person a tool. Since I happen to agree with the other person, I guess you think I'm a tool also. And, as such, I'm probably wasting my time responding.

I don't think that guy was simply complaining about not being skinny enough to race. I think he was pointing out that eating disorders are a real problem among cyclists (even more so among jockeys, btw), and that Rapha should be careful not to encourage that.
Old 08-03-20, 02:33 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Originally Posted by jon c.
I doubt I'll ever spend the money to buy Rapha gear, but can't imagine why anyone would care if others choose to.

Complaining about the phrase on the water bottle is way over the top. Totally absurd. Some folks have too much time on their hands.
Is it any more absurd than people on this forum complaining about him tweeting his opinion?
Old 08-03-20, 03:30 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
The
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I think he was pointing out that eating disorders are a real problem among cyclists (even more so among jockeys, btw), and that Rapha should be careful not to encourage that.
Do you really think that weird quote (on a bottle) would encourage eating disorders? Seems far-fetched.
Old 08-03-20, 03:35 PM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The
Do you really think that weird quote (on a bottle) would encourage eating disorders? Seems far-fetched.
What's so weird about it? And yes, I suppose it could among a certain audience. If you know much about eating disorders, that shouldn't surprise you. But the point is that it was, in my opinion, a reasonable criticism for someone to make. You can disagree with it, but it's not crazy.
Old 08-03-20, 03:37 PM
mattcalifornia

By the way, to bring this thread back on point, I went for a 4.5 hour ride yesterday in my relatively new Rapha bibs and jersey, and they were very comfortable.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-03-20, 03:43 PM
WhyFi

By the way, to bring this thread back on point, I went for a 4.5 hour ride yesterday in my relatively new Rapha bibs and jersey, and they were very comfortable.
I did the same on Saturday and this was with Core Bibs and Jersey. For under $200 retail for the both of 'em, I was comfy and looked smashing (), so I can't complain.
Old 08-03-20, 03:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Did any of the Common People give you the hairy eyeball?

Old 08-03-20, 03:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I did the same on Saturday and this was with Core Bibs and Jersey. For under $200 retail for the both of 'em, I was comfy and looked smashing (), so I can't complain.
I almost pulled the trigger on a Core jersey, but I hesitated (Hey, $80 is still $80!)and my size is out of stock.

Old 08-03-20, 03:51 PM
njkayaker

What's so weird about it?
It’s weird to have that sort of text on bottles. It’s weird text without context. It’s weird all around. That’s probably why Rapha added it.

And yes, I suppose it could among a certain audience.
Anything is possible. It might even discourage it among a certain audience. So, you aren’t really saying anything.

It seems very unlikely. And it’s on a water bottle, which makes it even less likely.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-03-20, 03:56 PM
WhyFi

I almost pulled the trigger on a Core jersey, but I hesitated (Hey, $80 is still $80!)and my size is out of stock.
I've been waiting to pick up some more, but they're out in a lot of stuff. All of the Core Bibs (Black/Cream, Black and Cargo) are out of stock in my size and my first three or so choices in Core Jersey (between regular Core or Lightweight) are out of stock, too.
Old 08-03-20, 04:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've been waiting to pick up some more, but they're out in a lot of stuff. All of the Core Bibs (Black/Cream, Black and Cargo) are out of stock in my size and my first three or so choices in Core Jersey (between regular Core or Lightweight) are out of stock, too.
I keep finding everything I want is out of stock in my size. I suspect there may be more 6', 220lb guys on the road these days.

Old 08-03-20, 04:08 PM
mattcalifornia

Did any of the Common People give you the hairy eyeball?
LOL - seeing how the bulk of my ride was in Malibu, if anyone was giving me dirty looks, it was only because I was riding an old frame.
Old 08-03-20, 04:09 PM
mattcalifornia

It’s weird to have that sort of text on bottles. It’s weird text without context. It’s weird all around. That’s probably why Rapha added it.

Anything is possible. It might even discourage it among a certain audience. So, you aren’t really saying anything.

It seems very unlikely. And it’s on a water bottle, which makes it even less likely.
I'm not arguing with you anymore. All I said was that you didn't need to call the guy a tool. I'm over it and moving on.
Old 08-03-20, 04:09 PM
WhyFi

I keep finding everything I want is out of stock in my size. I suspect there may be more 6', 220lb guys on the road these days.
I think there's just more people of every size on the road these days.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 04:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Indeed. And none of them seem to be able to hold a line.

Old 08-03-20, 04:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Even I don't want to eat that, and you know how much food I plow through.
Old 08-03-20, 04:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I'm already regretting wading into this thread, but here I go anyway
  • Rapha is nice when it fits, and not overpriced if you can wear their S and XS sizes like I can and get it at big discounts. I have never stepped into one of their stores, and none of my archive purchases even have a big logo, they're all almost invisible black on black or white on white
  • Rapha's non-pro line sizing is generous, UK sizing compared to Italian sizing, which doesn't work well all the time for me given that I even find Castelli to be either too loose or short
  • Despite being gravitationally advantaged, I don't think it's cool for them to glorify the unhealthy and uninformed training strategies cyclists employ. You don't have to go far to see widespread unhealthy behaviors not just in the pro ranks. It's so common for amateurs to obsess with reaching lowest weight when they should work on sustainable power that many recent articles have come out warning people not to do that or get RED-S. I also think it's similar to the problem with fashion models. It'd be equally disturbing to see lipstick come with a message about Kate Moss opening a chocolate bar to smell it before throwing it away (or whatever).
Old 08-03-20, 04:31 PM
njkayaker

I'm not arguing with you anymore. All I said was that you didn't need to call the guy a tool. I'm over it and moving on.
???

I did not call the guy a tool.

You said that guy could have his opinion and then complained about him expressing his opinion.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-03-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 04:33 PM
mattcalifornia

???

I did call the guy a tool.

You said that guy could have his opinion and then complained about him expressing his opinion.
I never complained about him expressing his opinion. I said I agreed with him. Let's put this to bed.
Old 08-03-20, 04:43 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
More people are cycling(and buying gear) this year. My shop can't keep bikes under $2k in stock, and it's very slim picking on clothing sizes/styles. Sadly It's not a huge sales year for us. In April we absolutely killed it, but we didn't have any product to sell in May or June. The profit margin is higher than normal, because people are paying MSRP, but the number of bikes sold(in the second quarter) isn't much greater than the last few years.
Old 08-03-20, 05:09 PM
njkayaker

I never complained about him expressing his opinion. I said I agreed with him. Let's put this to bed.
You complained about one of his opinions.

If you want to stop it, why do you keep replying?

You don’t need to reply.
Likes For njkayaker:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.