Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your cruiser.

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your cruiser.

Old 07-16-20, 07:22 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Great looking bike, Kirby.
Likes For coopman:
Old 07-16-20, 08:57 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman
Great looking bike, Kirby.
Thanks , I finally found a use for the aluminum Electra rear rack . I think it looks better on this frame than it did on my Electra .
Old 07-22-20, 06:22 PM
OldCruiser

Swapped out the frame today . The blue Schwinn was too small for me .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-30-20, 08:17 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
Here is one of my favorite Cruiser Bikes. It started out as an Electra Punk (2008). It has an alloy frame and a 3 piece crankset. The Punk paint job was not a selling point with me but these "tank" models were hard to find so I bought it. The first thing I did was paint it flat black. I rebuilt both wheels using the original rims. On the rear, I used a Nexus 8 speed internal gear hub. I don't remember if the Alfine 8 speed version was around then, but what I got was the Nexus version which used the Shimano Roller Brake. At first, I was not keen on the clunky looking roller brake, but after using these on multiple bikes over the years, I have come to believe these are good brakes and definitely better stopping than caliper brakes. On the front, I put a new hub for a disc brake rotor. These bikes did not come with a front brake at all, only a coaster brake on a Nexus 3 speed rear hub. I made a fork mount for a Shimano disc brake and with that and the roller brake installed, the bike had very good stopping power. The tires are the original 24 X 3.0 Fatti-O white wall versions. I made a shorty fender and added it to the front wheel. I added a headset extension with a medium high riser type handlebar because I like to ride in a vertical position. Various "Flame" decals gave it a vintage Hot Rod look IMHO. A Streamride "flame" seat completed the mods.
Old 08-01-20, 05:33 AM
dlm2182

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't see any pic!
Old 08-01-20, 10:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
OP or OP, really neat bike, did you weld the disc mount to the fork?
Old 08-01-20, 11:15 AM
The Old Peddler

Originally Posted by 2old
OP or OP, really neat bike, did you weld the disc mount to the fork?
Did not weld it. This an alloy (aluminum) frame and fork. That would have required a TIG welder, which I did not have, and there is always the
danger that the thin metal might have warped. Instead, I drilled two holes and through bolted (SS cap screws) a piece of aluminum bar stock (threaded) to the
fork and then mounted the brake to that aluminum piece. That gave me the right spacing for the brake to fit the rotor. The Shimano disc brake comes with angled
washers that allow a good range of adjustment so the brake caliper and the rotor can be aligned easily.
disc brake mount detail
Likes For The Old Peddler:
Old 08-02-20, 06:45 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 243 Posts
The Old Peddler.....nice job on the brake mount! I wish I had your mechanical aptitude to do the same on my Cruiser.....
Old 08-02-20, 01:26 PM
OldCruiser

My latest build . Coaster brake , 700c SS Cruiser .
updated Pic . Swapped out the stem for a taller one which moved the bars forward a little giving me more top bar length . More space between me and the bars . Removed the rear rack to give a cleaner look and to help keep this one as light as possible.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-02-20 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-03-20, 09:34 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Does this classify as a cruiser? Mostly original 80s Gazelle with some minor modifications.

Likes For Harhir:
Old 08-05-20, 03:57 PM
GTBruiser

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
70s Murray Venture

Murray Venture
Old 08-05-20, 04:19 PM
GTBruiser

This showed up in my yard one day...

...I love the shape of this step thru frame, but, it was hidden underneath the old surfboard rack, rear fender, mismatched tank and handlebars.
Likes For GTBruiser:
Old 08-05-20, 05:15 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by GTBruiser
70s Murray Venture
Lovin' that klunker style, single speed, and green paint on that Venture.

Do you intend on installing front brake pads, or yanking the front brake off and just go coaster brake?
Old 08-06-20, 10:38 AM
GTBruiser

It's coming off!
Likes For GTBruiser:
Old 08-06-20, 12:33 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by GTBruiser
It's coming off!
Super cool.
Old 08-09-20, 11:39 AM
The Old Peddler

Super Cruiser

This is my daily ride. This is quite the opposite of a single speed beach bike but I still think of it as a " Cruiser". It was originally an Electra Townie 21D (2010) with a Suntour suspension fork, rim brakes, two derailers (3 X 7), and 26 x 2.0 tires. I changed it to have a Shimano Alfine 11 speed internal gear rear hub, disc brakes front and rear, Halo SAS rims, Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 tires, Wellgo pedals, a Thudbuster seat post and recently a Cloud 9 anatomical saddle. Shimano had a bolt-on chain tensioner that allowed me to keep the front derailer for a total of 33 speeds. Now that may seem like a lot of gears and probably has some overlaps but I choose to use this as 3 sets of 11 gears. I pick the chain ring to suit the terrain. The 48T chain ring is for open roads where high speeds are the norm. The Alfine 11 has an extra low 1st gear which allows for standing starts without having to change the front derailer. The middle ring (38T) I find is good for urban travel where there are low speed limits, frequent intersections and traffic lights. The small chain ring (28T) works well for very low speeds, off road and hill climbing. The Alfine low gears give speeds similar to a mountain bike.

The Alfine 11 was an expensive hub at that time (cost more than the bike) but I felt this was a logical next step. I already was familiar with the Nexus 3, 7 and 8 speed hubs. The Alfine was setup for a disc brake but the Electra rear fork was not, so I had to make a mount to match the disc caliper to the hub rotor. The Suntour front fork already had bosses for the disc caliper, thus I only had to build a new wheel with a Surly disc brake hub. I was concerned about the reliability of the new 11 speed hub but I have never had a problem with it. It still shifts smoothly and easily with a flick of a finger even when standing still.

I feel I should mention the Thudbuster seat post. When I put that on the bike, I was very surprised how much of a difference it made in ride comfort. Along with the new Cloud 9 saddle I am a happy rider.

The Old Peddler

Old 08-09-20, 04:25 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by The Old Peddler
This is my daily ride. This is quite the opposite of a single speed beach bike but I still think of it as a " Cruiser". It was originally an Electra Townie 21D (2010) with a Suntour suspension fork, rim brakes, two derailers (3 X 7), and 26 x 2.0 tires. I changed it to have a Shimano Alfine 11 speed internal gear rear hub, disc brakes front and rear, Halo SAS rims, Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 tires, Wellgo pedals, a Thudbuster seat post and recently a Cloud 9 anatomical saddle. Shimano had a bolt-on chain tensioner that allowed me to keep the front derailer for a total of 33 speeds. Now that may seem like a lot of gears and probably has some overlaps but I choose to use this as 3 sets of 11 gears. I pick the chain ring to suit the terrain. The 48T chain ring is for open roads where high speeds are the norm. The Alfine 11 has an extra low 1st gear which allows for standing starts without having to change the front derailer. The middle ring (38T) I find is good for urban travel where there are low speed limits, frequent intersections and traffic lights. The small chain ring (28T) works well for very low speeds, off road and hill climbing. The Alfine low gears give speeds similar to a mountain bike.

The Alfine 11 was an expensive hub at that time (cost more than the bike) but I felt this was a logical next step. I already was familiar with the Nexus 3, 7 and 8 speed hubs. The Alfine was setup for a disc brake but the Electra rear fork was not, so I had to make a mount to match the disc caliper to the hub rotor. The Suntour front fork already had bosses for the disc caliper, thus I only had to build a new wheel with a Surly disc brake hub. I was concerned about the reliability of the new 11 speed hub but I have never had a problem with it. It still shifts smoothly and easily with a flick of a finger even when standing still.

I feel I should mention the Thudbuster seat post. When I put that on the bike, I was very surprised how much of a difference it made in ride comfort. Along with the new Cloud 9 saddle I am a happy rider.

The Old Peddler
Impressive.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-11-20, 06:15 PM
The Old Peddler

A Blast From the Past

My first Cruiser Bike. It is an Electra Rally Sport (2002). The paint is powder coat in anti-freeze green. Rear wheel has a Nexus 7 speed rear hub with coaster brake. Front wheel has a King disc brake hub and Shimano disc brake. Both tires are Fatti-O 24 X 3.0. Three piece crankset. High rise handlebar. Electra bike rack. Note: the simulated suspension forks were an Electra option.

The Old Peddler

Old 08-13-20, 08:06 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

A super cool cruiser collection you have there, Old Peddler!
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-13-20, 10:01 AM
2old

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Not a cruiser, but testament to the efficacy of a Thudbuster. Rode this on a very choppy fire road last night (twelve miles, about 1500' elevation gain). No problem with the terrain and even better, no soreness today.

Last edited by 2old; 08-16-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 03:42 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Both good guesses but it's Tyler Park... just outside the tennis courts and facing Tyler Park Dr.
Somebody else from Louisville, cool
Old 08-17-20, 11:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I thought I posted one in here.
Nel Lusso I made in to a ratrod. Has a fork from a 24" mtb and the front brake is a center pull. I never really got to finish it. More a boardtrack racer than cruiser.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 08-20-20, 10:30 AM
dark_n_stormy

Bikes: Electra 1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UTEP66
here is my cruiserAttachment 316685
LOVE your Cruiser - yes, from long ago. But everything about it!
Old 08-25-20, 02:02 PM
The Old Peddler

Originally Posted by 2old: "Testament to the efficacy of a Thudbuster"
Yes indeed! I am a big fan of the Thudbuster seat post. That nice ride has saved my butt many times on rough bike paths.

The Old Peddler
Old 08-26-20, 11:47 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts

Huffy Cranbrook from Wally World, bought it yesterday. Have it on Craigslist to flip since there is a huge shortage on them right now. Even if it doesn't sell I wouldn't mind keeping it for a while. I like the blue color.

When I got back into riding in 2008 I had an 80's Raleigh Beach Cruiser like this. Rode it for 9 months or so until I figured I would keep going. Then bought a geared hybrid.

Last edited by stevel610; 08-26-20 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.