Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Casati internal cable routing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 05:38 AM
Joe T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Does anyone happen to know whether the upper tube of vintage Casati frames ('80s) contains a separate tube for the rear derailleur cable or just brazed-on hardware for the entry/exit holes? Thanks.
Old 08-06-20, 07:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I have no experience that I can pull back out of the old grey matter but just about every internal routed cable I have dealt with from that era have no internal tunnel (and sometimes suffer from casing slap over bumps). Andy
Old 08-06-20, 08:54 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...I restored one of these once. Routing the derailleur cables (which did not have any internal tubes as guides IIRC) was an exercise in ingenuity. It's best done with the frame's BB removed, but the portion that goes back through the chainstay eventually pops out of there OK, from what I remember. It's been several years.

Old 08-06-20, 10:30 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
....I just remembered now. I might have lied about that rear cable magically popping out the back end of the chainstay. It's possible I had to run another cable in through the hole in the back, all the way into the open BB shell, and then use a piece of small heat shrink tubing to attach that to the end of the cable coming down from the seat tube insertion hole above. Then you just magically pull it back on through. It's really not the best system, but they were among the earliest makers using internal routing, and it got a little more sensible over the years.