Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

Old 03-25-20, 06:05 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
NBD-2019 Cervelo R3

I just picked up a 2019 Cervelo R3 Di2 as a birthday present from my wife. Upgraded the wheels to Flo 60s I got from a buddy and have some stealth black stickers on the way from Flo as I like the look of all black wheels. Also swapped the stock saddle for an Arione and put some Speedplays on it.

There is a lot of change for me in this bike. I’m coming from a Tarmac SL2 w/ mechanical Ultegra, 42cm bars, 100mm stem, 172.5mm crankarms, Shimano RS81 wheels (aluminum brake tracks) and SPD-SL pedals. The 51cm R3 comes stock w/ 40cm bars, 90mm stem and 170mm crankarms. So I’m adapting to narrower bars (w/ a slightly shorter stem and reach), shorter crankarms, Di2, full carbon wheels and speedplay pedals.

A lot of subtle changes, but all felt good this morning on my ”pre-work-from-home” ride. I was fully expecting to be swapping the bars and stem out for a slightly wider, longer reach cockpit, but I’m going to stick with the stock setup but I’ll eventually swap the aluminum bar and stem for the Cervelo carbon equivalent parts just to complete the spec. I’m definitely impressed with the Cervelo product and am looking forward to many miles of enjoyment on this bike.

Old 03-25-20, 06:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That orange is beautiful and has caught my eye since it debuted. As I told the last guy with a NBD, ride it in good health - seriously.

Oh and please think about changing the wheel decals...
Old 03-25-20, 06:14 PM
slowgo

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Oh and please think about changing the wheel decals...
All black labels in the mail...
Old 03-25-20, 06:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by slowgo
All black labels in the mail...

We'll need new pictures, of course.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-25-20, 08:26 PM
slowgo

We'll need new pictures, of course.
of course.
Old 03-25-20, 10:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cervelo has always make excellent bikes. Their R series are perfect for paved roads.
Old 03-26-20, 05:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cervelo has always make excellent bikes. Their R series are perfect for paved roads.
Speaking of R-Series.. has anyone noticed that on the Cervelo website, there no longer is an R3 listed, but they in fact have appear to have renamed this model the "R Series" -- kinda odd.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes#bike-page__bikes
Old 03-26-20, 10:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Speaking of R-Series.. has anyone noticed that on the Cervelo website, there no longer is an R3 listed, but they in fact have appear to have renamed this model the "R Series" -- kinda odd.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes#bike-page__bikes
That’s how they’re going - the P? has also turned into the “P series”.
Old 03-26-20, 10:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
That’s how they’re going - the P? has also turned into the “P series”.
Interesting.. is anyone selling these yet? eg. on Excel, most bikes are listed as 2019, or with no year, but still called R3. Has Cervelo officially launched a 2020 model year or is the "R-Series" the anticipated 2021 moniker but isn't out yet in the USA?
Old 03-26-20, 11:05 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
That is SHARP! I love the color. Very nice indeed.
Old 03-26-20, 11:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting.. is anyone selling these yet? eg. on Excel, most bikes are listed as 2019, or with no year, but still called R3. Has Cervelo officially launched a 2020 model year or is the "R-Series" the anticipated 2021 moniker but isn't out yet in the USA?
They’ve botched the naming transition in general. I’ve seen the P-series at my local tri shop; I’d guess the R-series will become available in summer. But that’s just a guess.
Old 03-27-20, 05:27 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Cervelo R3 Di2 as a birthday present from my wife. Upgraded the wheels to Flo 60s I got from a buddy and have some stealth black stickers on the way from Flo as I like the look of all black wheels. Also swapped the stock saddle for an Arione and put some Speedplays on it.

There is a lot of change for me in this bike. I’m coming from a Tarmac SL2 w/ mechanical Ultegra, 42cm bars, 100mm stem, 172.5mm crankarms, Shimano RS81 wheels (aluminum brake tracks) and SPD-SL pedals. The 51cm R3 comes stock w/ 40cm bars, 90mm stem and 170mm crankarms. So I’m adapting to narrower bars (w/ a slightly shorter stem and reach), shorter crankarms, Di2, full carbon wheels and speedplay pedals.

A lot of subtle changes, but all felt good this morning on my ”pre-work-from-home” ride. I was fully expecting to be swapping the bars and stem out for a slightly wider, longer reach cockpit, but I’m going to stick with the stock setup but I’ll eventually swap the aluminum bar and stem for the Cervelo carbon equivalent parts just to complete the spec. I’m definitely impressed with the Cervelo product and am looking forward to many miles of enjoyment on this bike.

did you order from Excel?
Old 03-27-20, 06:39 AM
slowgo

Yes, couldn’t pass up the deal. I even went to my LBS and asked the owner about buying a Cervelo road bike from him and he told me he had placed his orders with both Specialized and Cervelo for 2020 and he wasn’t getting any road bikes in, only gravel bikes because that’s what people are buying. Any road bikes would be special order.
Old 03-27-20, 07:44 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Yes, couldn’t pass up the deal. I even went to my LBS and asked the owner about buying a Cervelo road bike from him and he told me he had placed his orders with both Specialized and Cervelo for 2020 and he wasn’t getting any road bikes in, only gravel bikes because that’s what people are buying. Any road bikes would be special order.
What’s the experience like buying from them? I’m good with basic assembly, repairs, derailleur adjustment etc but full blown soup to nuts is way out of my comfort zone
Old 03-27-20, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
What’s the experience like buying from them? I’m good with basic assembly, repairs, derailleur adjustment etc but full blown soup to nuts is way out of my comfort zone
I also bought from Excel recently, though it was a frameset and parts (some sourced elsewhere), and I assembled myself. In terms of their customer service, they're great. Very responsive to emails and flexible - they exchanged the stock seat post with a zero setback for me, delayed shipment so that I could ensure I was in town to receive it, made sure I had the right BB, etc.

FWIW, if you can adjust a derailleur and tune brakes, you can install them, too. Take your time, but take the leap - you'll be fine.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-27-20, 08:08 AM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have about 75,000 total on my two Cervelo R3's. I can't think of any reason to change bikes.
Old 03-27-20, 08:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
That's a gorgeous bike - someone posted a similar one on my NBD thread as well.

And i quite like the wheel decals as they are now, for what it is worth
Old 03-27-20, 08:51 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I also bought from Excel recently, though it was a frameset and parts (some sourced elsewhere), and I assembled myself. In terms of their customer service, they're great. Very responsive to emails and flexible - they exchanged the stock seat post with a zero setback for me, delayed shipment so that I could ensure I was in town to receive it, made sure I had the right BB, etc.

FWIW, if you can adjust a derailleur and tune brakes, you can install them, too. Take your time, but take the leap - you'll be fine.
I can always pay Velofix to do it!!
Old 03-27-20, 02:03 PM
slowgo

Originally Posted by guadzilla
That's a gorgeous bike - someone posted a similar one on my NBD thread as well.

And i quite like the wheel decals as they are now, for what it is worth
that was me. I almost caved and bought an R5 but was talked out of it by a pro rider friend. The R3 was just too good to pass up. Enjoy your new bike.
Likes For slowgo:
Old 03-27-20, 02:06 PM
slowgo

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Seamless transaction. My friend from Denver uses them a lot and have them a strong recommendation. I originally wished I had called and discussed any swapping of bar widths, stem lengths, crankarms, etc, but I really like the bike as is so thankfully I didn’t have anything swapped out.
Old 03-27-20, 04:55 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Seamless transaction. My friend from Denver uses them a lot and have them a strong recommendation. I originally wished I had called and discussed any swapping of bar widths, stem lengths, crankarms, etc, but I really like the bike as is so thankfully I didn’t have anything swapped out.
The only thing really holding me back is rim vs disc. It seems as though 5 years down the road, nothing will be available with rim brakes and I’ll feel my bike is obsolete (maybe not). I don’t want to get into a whole disc vs rim discussion, it just gives me pause is all.

I've got the green light to buy myself a new bike as a 40th birthday present to myself, but keep waffling on what I want. It’s the ultimate SLX 8.0 SL Disc or any number of other bikes. Most will work for me geo wise.
Old 03-28-20, 10:19 AM
slowgo

My intention was Endurance/Discs and hopefully Di2 but stay under $4k. When I started shopping Trek, Giant, etc it wasn’t going to happen. I was pretty much sold on the Domane SL5, thinking that the current 105 is probably as “nice” as the last gen Ultegra on my Tarmac. A wheel upgrade and I’d be good to go within my budget. Living in south Florida and not riding in inclement weather made my decision to eliminate the need for discs pretty easy and when I saw the deals Excel had going, hard to pass up.
Old 03-28-20, 11:46 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
that was me. I almost caved and bought an R5 but was talked out of it by a pro rider friend. The R3 was just too good to pass up. Enjoy your new bike.
Doh.... in my defense, i am not always this slow (off the bike anyway). Happy riding on your gorgeous steed to you too, amigo.
Old 03-28-20, 12:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
What did (s)he say?
Old 03-28-20, 12:47 PM
slowgo

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
What did (s)he say?
He said that spending the extra $2k to get SRAM Red, Discs and the R5 frame wasn’t worth it because I wouldn’t really appreciate the benefits as a guy who rides 17mph on the flats in south Florida. My vanity said yes, of course I “need” the R5, but my common sense agreed with my buddy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.