Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Sierra Black Chrome

Old 07-29-20, 11:23 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Schwinn Sierra Black Chrome

Think it's either an 85 or an 86. Pic is from the seller, who claims it was ridden very little. Slingshot Stem, 15 Speeds, Original Saddle. Thoughts on value would be appreciated...thanks!
Old 07-29-20, 01:11 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Oooooooohhhh nice! Vintage MTB's aren't worth a lot outside of a few notable exceptions --- I kinda' thought these were in the "exceptions" category -- like maybe $350 in the kind of condition that one appears to be in

I ve been wrong before though
Old 07-29-20, 05:42 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Bueller,
Old 07-30-20, 03:25 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I had one I bought new in 1987, the same bike but in a 23" frame.
I sold it about 11 years ago in pretty clean shape for $400 cash to a guy who drove all day from NC to pick it up. Mine still had its original tires, only the grips had been changed. I never liked the bike much, mine had early index shifting and it never worked right so it didn't get much use. They were made by Giant for Schwinn. When I bought mine, I originally bought an '86 model, about four months after I got it the chrome started to peel on the seat tube, then on the bottom bracket shell. Schwinn knew there was an issue and eventually authorized the dealer to replace the frame, but they sent out the newer model, with a few changes, so the dealer just swapped me for a new 1987 and took the loss I suppose. He had called me up and told me about the differences in the frames, he asked how I felt about a few things being different. I went down the next day to see and the more we looked at it, the more we both figured it wouldn't look right.
The new frame had darker chrome, almost smoke black, vs just dark chrome. They didn't send a new fork. When he ordered a new fork, it was different again. At that point he just told me to grab a new one off the floor and we fitted that and I left.
I think the one mechanic there ended up with it, he painted it and just ran it the way it was.
The replacement bike never peeled, but I had a tough time chasing after surface rust all the time. It took constant waxing and polishing to keep it looking new.
Old 08-04-20, 03:11 PM
OutnBack

Bought it for $145, flipped it for $300 24 hours later because it was a bit to small. Nice bike, wish I could find one in a 23".
Old 08-04-20, 05:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,185 Posts
^^^^^ Re-flip for $500 wouldn't surprise me.
Old 11-24-21, 02:41 PM
vincentjames

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might have something for you

Originally Posted by OutnBack
Bought it for $145, flipped it for $300 24 hours later because it was a bit to small. Nice bike, wish I could find one in a 23".
I have one in all chrome (not black chrome, but, you know, chromey chrome) from around 1988. It's a Schwinn Sierra ATB, but the frame was made by Giant.
It's all original except for the new 26" roadie tires and tubes.
One thing I cannot get along with is the Biopace chainrings. I'm planning to take them off in favor of a single ring in front, especially since the ancient Shimano thumbie for the front derailleur keeps slipping. It can be indexed, but that's not working so well, either. I'm in Jacksonville, FL anyway, so...
I'd thought about selling it, but every time I see it or take it out for a ride, that thought leaves my mind.
Well, unless the right price comes along ;-)

Last edited by vincentjames; 02-26-22 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Change in model information
Old 02-25-22, 07:18 PM
GF Procaliber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice! I picked up an '87 in black chrome, but has the faded from black to gold stem. I originally bought it to flip, but liked it too much. So it's part of the stable. The Araya 1.75 wheels with high flanges are worth more than the price paid, plus they look cool!
Old 02-26-22, 10:49 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 1,722 Times in 625 Posts
Really like these back in the day the Black Chrome Limited edition Schwinn MTB's and BMX bikes where the top of the line bikes at most better shops and the ones nearly every teenager wanted but couldn't afford get. For a generation that grew up in the central US in the 80's these a grail bikes that a lot of potential buyers wouldn't hesitate to spend close to a $1000 on for a really nice example the right size.

Last edited by zukahn1; 02-26-22 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 05:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by GF Procaliber
Nice! I picked up an '87 in black chrome, but has the faded from black to gold stem.
I kinda like that effect. I have two, and didn't know, until someone posted it here, that the stems were originally black. Most things lose their gloss when they fade; it's cool how these stems take on that deep gloss as they turn, almost like the old Schwinn candy colors.
Old 02-26-22, 11:09 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 279 Posts
One of my favorite bikes was an 80's Schwinn High Sierra in black chrome. Just like the one pictured. I remember it had chain stay U brakes.
Ridden many miles around San Diego county and all over Kauai HI. into the 90's

Its parts/drivetrain were removed and used on a chrome 1984 Mongoose ATB frame and ridden till 2006.
Frame was exactly like this one (borrowed pic). I installed a Trek DDS3 front shock though.

Sadly, no pics survived of either bike due to an apartment fire....