Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel lessons learned last weekend

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel lessons learned last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 08:15 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Nice ride! I've been spoiled riding around here. Well maintained gravel roads in our county. I've been making longer journeys on gravel roads towards that ultra-rural setting. If you're not on a designated 'farm to market' gravel then yikes! I'll be eyeing 650b wheelsets for my bike (I can fit 47mm 650b).

For cheap you could snag an older xc hardtail? That's what I use in winter. I thought about converting mine to drop bar. It's a 2011 with a 70.5* HT angle, 1-1/8" straight steerer, QR rear with disc. If it was one size smaller it'd work really well.
Old 08-05-20, 07:32 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Nice ride! I've been spoiled riding around here. Well maintained gravel roads in our county. I've been making longer journeys on gravel roads towards that ultra-rural setting. If you're not on a designated 'farm to market' gravel then yikes! I'll be eyeing 650b wheelsets for my bike (I can fit 47mm 650b).

For cheap you could snag an older xc hardtail? That's what I use in winter. I thought about converting mine to drop bar. It's a 2011 with a 70.5* HT angle, 1-1/8" straight steerer, QR rear with disc. If it was one size smaller it'd work really well.
Got my wife 650b 47mm WTB Ventures on her Kona ST Rove and she loves them for everything, she really doesn’t do much rural gravel in them however.

Since I’m 6’4”, I can’t practically see myself going 650b for gravel or mountain biking, seems 29” to 29+ is the sweet spot for me. Found a local Craigslist add for a nice $ deal Surly Krampus but frame size is Large, I really need an XL.

Wife is holding the checkbook pretty tight right now (with good reason). Will probably wait till 2021 29” hardtails come out this fall and get exactly what I want. This will gopive me a little time to shop and be picky. I’m a little concerned prices will skyrocket in 2021...

Thru axles only for me going forward. All my bikes have them now and love them for wheel swaps and that feel of axle rigidity beeing a Clydesdale.

Might do the SterilIowan this weekend if it stays cool, TBD. Would probably do one of the shorter routes. Did this back in May too and was an easier gravel route with more pavement.
Old 08-05-20, 07:51 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Kona Unit X is another contender for me:

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-u...ELqLcbWBOBea4Q
Old 08-05-20, 08:52 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
My favorite new cycling term - varied terrain!

Great lessons, sorry about the toe. +1 on a Salsa recommendation. I would keep the Jamis and set it up for racing and then get a Fargo for the varied terrain adventures.
Old 08-05-20, 06:36 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by grubetown
My favorite new cycling term - varied terrain!

Great lessons, sorry about the toe. +1 on a Salsa recommendation. I would keep the Jamis and set it up for racing and then get a Fargo for the varied terrain adventures.
Definitely keeping the Jamis Renegade, love the bike. Wonderful as a touring, commute, Joy-riding, light trail and light gravel bike. My first steel frame and love the feel.
Old 08-05-20, 11:59 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Sandals?? The thought would never even enter my mind, but then again, I use SPD pedals.

Sand can be tough, I've had it yank my front wheel a few times and scare the crap out of me, but thankfully was able to stay upright.

If you need that much tire, sounds like you need a mtb, most gravel bikes top out at 47-50mm.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...pd-sandal.html

MAX OUT YOUR DAD POINTS. You won't even need to change your pedals. You're welcome
Old 08-06-20, 02:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...pd-sandal.html

MAX OUT YOUR DAD POINTS. You won't even need to change your pedals. You're welcome

Oh my gosh, this is hilarious since I live in Iowa and ride RAGBRAI. I didnt realize the SPD sandal craze was something relatively unique to Iowa, I just assumed it was a relatively common footwear everywhere.
Ive never used sandals to ride, and have a distinct fear I would somehow shred the skin off my toes the first time I try sandals, but given the popularity its tough to say that are bad. They for sure arent for me, but to each their own.

I see a lot of Nashbar branded sandals(pre bankruptcy) and lots of Keen SPD sandals. Makes sense why so few Shimano sandals are out there- they had stopped making em.
Old 08-06-20, 03:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Sandals are a niche product, but not so niche that you have to live in Iowa. I know some New Jerseyites that wear them. Both SPD and infinite float (platform)
Old 08-07-20, 08:42 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Sandals are a niche product, but not so niche that you have to live in Iowa. I know some New Jerseyites that wear them. Both SPD and infinite float (platform)
If only they would make a 3-bolt interface so you can fast and cool with road cleats.
Likes For mattscq:
Old 08-07-20, 08:52 AM
Toadmeister

These are the ones I use, actually cover the tors pretty well, my big toe decided to skip out just enough...

Like these better than the Shimano ones, they've also lasted longer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJMGQWQ...p_mob_ap_share