Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to cycling, what are must have gears accessories and tips?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 07:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In regards to the theft issue.

I see a lot of folks here in town riding bikes that are mechanically sound, but visually ugly. Lots of stickers, spray paint, etc. All parts are bolt on, and when I see them locked up often will be using 2 or 3 locks.
Old 03-27-17, 07:15 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I'm curious about this guy, and his bikes, myself. He seems like a blend of the Soup Nazi and J. Peterman (both of Seinfeld fame!).
I read his book 5 years ago. I disagree with him on his opinions about gear. If you don't want to wear cycling kit, that is fine. But it does make the riding experience better. On the other hand, you don't need to look like some wannabe racer, or ride a full on racing bike to get out and enjoy riding a bike.
Old 03-27-17, 09:54 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Your choice of locks will depend on the bike you got. If it is a beater, then a mini u lock or two would work. Get ones that lock on both ends, not the ones with the u shaped bar on one side. Onguard, for example, requires two cuts to get the off. Some of the kryptonite locks have the u shaped end so one cut is all it takes.
Mini u locks are better than bigger ones because it is harder to get a device in them to force the ends to pop out, a standard technique of thieves. Carjacks don't fit and getting leverage with a bar is harder due to the small space which is taken up by the bike and what you lock it to.
Locks mean nothing if you lock them to something weak, like a chain link fence or a pole or loose rack where they can take the bolts out or cut easily.
If the bike is reasonably costly, then you can also add in some wheel locks like pinhead or pitlock along with your u locks. Just makes it harder for thieves to take. Also you can secure your seat and saddle with things like Fortified Bike payback bolts, which come with a replacement guarantee.
Old 03-27-17, 10:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mitmitenhp7
I am looking to get a new helmet for the season, and have narrowed it down to two; the Giro Chronicle and the Kali Maya. Does anyone have a recommendation or preference?
Hold your cell phone up directly above your head and take a selfie. Some people's heads are more oval front-to-back, and some heads are more perfectly round. Whichever your head is can affect which helmet will feel more comfortable.
Old 03-28-17, 02:31 AM
mitmitenhp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear some bright reflective vest when riding in the evening. Beware of pedestrians entering bike lanes without looking. And good helmet, it's very important. When I had choosed a helmet, I came across a useful article about helmets: Properly Chosen Helmet ? Halfway to a Safe Ride | Best Adviser
If you have your opinion about it, I would like to hear.
Old 03-28-17, 06:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
A mirror is one of my must haves...
+10 As a decades-long cyclist including year-round commuting in Boston, my singular reply to this complex and open-ended question is that.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-28-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 06:16 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by MRT2
If you don't want to wear cycling kit, that is fine. But it does make the riding experience better.

I would call that complete fallacy. Wearing kit makes you more aero. Beyond that, I "hear say" about the compression being good for your muscles and all that. I would imagine that IS true when riding long (long distances), but I see no advantage. Matter of fact, spandex make me uncomfortable in the groin and give me giant rash/rub issues with or without "butter" and all that other hoobaloo crap they try to upsell. Continued use over time causes even worse issues (for me).

I put on a set of "gym" shorts and ride comfortably, albeit a bit slower.
Old 03-28-17, 06:59 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I would call that complete fallacy. Wearing kit makes you more aero. Beyond that, I "hear say" about the compression being good for your muscles and all that. I would imagine that IS true when riding long (long distances), but I see no advantage. Matter of fact, spandex make me uncomfortable in the groin and give me giant rash/rub issues with or without "butter" and all that other hoobaloo crap they try to upsell. Continued use over time causes even worse issues (for me).

I put on a set of "gym" shorts and ride comfortably, albeit a bit slower.
Complete fallacy? Really? I would urge riders to make up their own minds.

There is nothing aero about me, with or without spandex. IDK which shorts you wore, so I cannot comment. What I can say is, once I went to cycling shorts and more importantly, chamois, chafing and saddle sores for the most part became a thing of the past and I won't ride more than an hour without it. As for cycling jerseys, it is true you can do almost as well with technical T shirts, but cycling jerseys are cut longer in the back, have back pockets to carry ID, money, phone, and extra food, and the zipper in the front is handy to added ventilation on hot days.
Old 03-28-17, 07:36 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by MRT2
I would urge riders to make up their own minds.

Oh, absolutely. People are going to do what (they think) works for them.