Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else like subdivision riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone else like subdivision riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 07:37 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Last couple of times I've almost got hit were cars pulling out of their driveway in residential subdivisions (despite my very bright strobe lights). Folks don't expect a bike moving at speed when they're leaving home. So no, I'd rather stay on the roads outside of a subdivision.
Old 09-28-18, 08:08 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Not me, people don't pay attention when backing out of driveways
Old 09-28-18, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like the fact that the speed difference between me and the cars and trucks is smaller on neighborhood roads. The arteries surrounding these neighborhoods all start at 45mph where the subdivision main roads are 30mph and others are 25 mph. I'm flyin' at 25mph.
And averaging 17-18mph. Also, the MUP connects several different subdivisions - gives me variety.
Old 09-28-18, 01:44 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Now I live in a place where all the suburbs are on the sides of hills. We live on a 14% grade hill and there's a nice little 17% next street over.
I live in a place where the flatter subdivisions are fairly far out in what used to be primarily rural areas, and the subdivisions in town or on the edge of town are as you describe.

I use them for hill training...especially during times of the year when it's too dark, or icy, to comfortably ride hills out on the rural roads.

In fact, I just rode one of the "easy" subdivision hills in the dark last night - the max grade on that one is only ~13%. There's a few very nasty ones where there are excursions to ~20%.
Old 09-28-18, 07:41 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
As one who used to ride a motorcycle, it’s our job to watch for them. And only once in my years of riding have I come close to getting hit in that scenario.
Old 09-29-18, 04:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I used to like riding through suburbs for short rides or to wrap up a long ride, but not so much anymore. Now I live in a place where all the suburbs are on the sides of hills. We live on a 14% grade hill and there's a nice little 17% next street over.
The street in front of our house ...

Old 09-29-18, 09:48 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
For many years I rode mainly in my subdivision, because riding the roads outside my subdivision was suicidal, they were busy, too narrow, and no shoulders. I was never one of those guys who needed 30 miles to get a decent ride anyway because ball sports were my main physical activity, the cycling just kept me in tone. When I wanted to do 30 miles I'd just drive to some farmland nearby.

I may have even invented "hill repeats" back in the day as I frequently did that in the subdivision to get my HR up.
Old 09-29-18, 10:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
I'd rather ride the senior center parking lot on weekends.

edit: Seriously, it’s closed on w/ends - big parking area, paved access around the building, no dogs, no kids, no cars. Even a little ‘gravel’ trail near the building. Just as uninteresting as a subdivision without the hazards.p

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-29-18 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-29-18, 01:29 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I don't particularly like them on my bike. But when I was a serious runner (2500 miles per year) I loved to do 'turn runs' through subdivisions. I would take off to somewhere and at some point I would just "always take a right turn any time it was available". And then just see where I would end up. Any time that I ended up at the same point going in the same direction as before (less often than you would expect) I would add a single left turn, and then go on and just take right turns.

You never knew for sure where you were going and that made it interesting.

dave
Old 09-29-18, 01:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
The street in front of our house ...

When you start out on a ride, do you usually turn left or right?
Old 09-29-18, 02:51 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
Quite true. About 2 weeks ago someone backed out right in front of me. I had to stop. I don't know how they could not have seen my hi-vis shirt unless they simply weren't looking. That kind of thing really pisses me off. What if I had been some small kid? I shouted a few choice words and flipped them off.
Old 09-29-18, 06:41 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Negative. Too many kids/balls/cars/dogs/cars/etc. running out. Plus I can't get up any good speed and it just annoys me.
Old 09-29-18, 07:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
When you start out on a ride, do you usually turn left or right?
It's about a 50/50 split.

If we go down, we have to start climbing again in about half a km.

If we go up, we reach the top of the hill in about half a km and can descend down to a short flat bit along a beach.
Old 09-29-18, 07:28 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've done it. It's not my favourite kind of riding. You really have to watch out for drivers coming out of driveways, as someone already mentioned. I commute through some subdivision roads early in the morning, and the half awake drivers are so oblivious as they think no one could possibly out this early in the morning that they could back out without looking. But on the other hand, the speed limited is no more than 50 kph, the street is extra wide so drivers give you lots of passing space, and there is absolutely no congestion.
Old 09-29-18, 08:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Hard no. Well unless you like doing one block intervals over and over I guess
Old 10-02-18, 05:03 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Wherever one enjoys riding their bike is a great place to ride.

Old 10-02-18, 07:29 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've come to enjoy it. Fifteen years ago, before back problems forced me off the bike, I rode mostly on the highways (well, on the white lines of the highways). This year when I was finally able to get back on the bike, I took mostly short rides on the streets of the suburb where I live. It's definitely a more laid-back form of riding, with fewer aggressive motorists and fewer aggressive dogs. It's hilly enough to throw in some climbs, but flat enough that my back doesn't get too riled up. I can get in a 15-miler by doing a couple of circuits, and I'm never farther than 3 miles from home.

That said, as my fitness and endurance increase, I plan to hit the road again. West Virginia's backroads can be a lot of fun.
Old 10-03-18, 12:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
in the high school halls in the shopping malls. second in on the obvious song commentary as it pertains to the topic...
Old 10-03-18, 02:16 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I started riding my neighborhood this summer, just to avoid the heat. I am used to rural roads in horse country, but am rather enjoying the 5am rides through our large, 55+ gated community. The smooth, wide streets are well lit and I am able to ride at a steady 15-17 mph, only slowing down slightly for stop signs. Cars and pedestrians are rare that early (didn't see one at all yesterday), so can safely, and quickly, get 10-15 miles in before sunrise. It's also a bit exciting when I wake up birds or see the occasional bear rummaging through trash cans. Luckily, bears here don't like flashing headlights..
Old 10-03-18, 04:59 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have good subs to ride. Some in town, some out of town. Many of the bike designated roads travel through some nice curvy, not too hilly, no traffic, great scenery, subdivisions. I like it.
Old 10-03-18, 07:20 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
in the high school halls in the shopping malls. second in on the obvious song commentary as it pertains to the topic...
Opinions all provided . . .

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Negative. Too many kids/balls/cars/dogs/cars/etc. running out. Plus I can't get up any good speed and it just annoys me.
But, too many stop signs as well. I don't always comply with them, but also wouldn't want to blow through them constantly on a ride.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Something like this ???? Hoping it works.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1854645618
Pretty sweet . . . pretty remarkable too that you averaged 16.6mph and your top speed was 21 mph. That's some flat riding!
Old 10-03-18, 09:43 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Quite true. About 2 weeks ago someone backed out right in front of me. I had to stop. I don't know how they could not have seen my hi-vis shirt unless they simply weren't looking. That kind of thing really pisses me off. What if I had been some small kid? I shouted a few choice words and flipped them off.
Was it a stylish hi-viz shirt? They may have seen you and decided you weren't stylish enough to bother avoiding.
Old 10-03-18, 09:47 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Pretty sweet . . pretty remarkable too that you averaged 16.6mph and your top speed was 21 mph. That's some flat riding!
Don't know if you've been to the outer banks of NC, but I was there this past weekend. Pancake flat and the only road to ride on goes north/south with minimal stoplights, so if you go out for a steady ride your average speed and max speed are pretty much within 3-4 MPH of each other.
Old 10-03-18, 09:56 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Don't know if you've been to the outer banks of NC, but I was there this past weekend. Pancake flat and the only road to ride on goes north/south with minimal stoplights, so if you go out for a steady ride your average speed and max speed are pretty much within 3-4 MPH of each other.
Not Outer Banks, but Delaware beaches with similar terrain. Max elevation, other than one bridge, is about 20 feet. That said, get a wind blowing and any out/back ride may have a 8-10mph difference in each direction.
Old 10-03-18, 10:07 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Not Outer Banks, but Delaware beaches with similar terrain. Max elevation, other than one bridge, is about 20 feet. That said, get a wind blowing and any out/back ride may have a 8-10mph difference in each direction.
True. Didn't have much wind on this trip so it was just steady riding the whole time. I've been there before with a strong wind out of either the north or the south, so exactly half the ride will have a headwind and half will have a tailwind. Speed plot ends up looking like this-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.