Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road vs Triathlon shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road vs Triathlon shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 09:59 AM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road vs Triathlon shoes

I narrowed down my shoe hunt to a couple models, specifically the Specialized Carbon Comps and the Specialized Trivent. The carbons are just a standard carbon sole road shoe whereas the Trivents are triathlon specific carbon sole shoes. They fit about the same and cost the same so I don't really have preference that way, although I think the Trivents look cooler. Anyway, the guy that was helping me said the difference is that the Trivent has better ventilation, is slightly stiffer and would be quicker to change in a triathlon (I don't do triathlons btw). However, the Carbon Comps have three straps, therefore, I could get a tighter fit so he recommended going with the Carbon Comps. One thing I noticed is that the top of the Trivents seemed more flimsy which I think is due to the better ventilating material. Is there really any difference between the two shoes? I guess what I am asking is, would a triathlon shoe work as well as a road shoe or is there some reason I would want just a road shoe?

Here are the links for the shoes:
Carbon Comps
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=12795
Trivent
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=13001

Thanks.
Old 03-22-06, 12:13 PM
fsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know those specific shoes....a friend does triath. and he seems to think that the consequence of quick removal tri shoes is that they are less rigidly fixed to the foot....he finally bought road shoes for his road training. I would say that if the tri shoe feels fine to you, why not? The only catch that I can see is that on long days you will want the maximum amount of adjustability as your feet swell, three straps might be a good idea...that really isn't much of an issue in a tri.
Old 03-22-06, 01:39 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Generally, the tri shoe will have more mesh in it as the triathlete transfers from the water to the bike and wet feet go into the shoe. Also, tirathletes typically pull their feet out of the shoe and ride on top for the last few feet before going to the run, so the softer shoe helps there, as well. They also typically have one velcro strap to speed up getting on and off the bike. My friends that do triathlons only use their tri shoes when actually in a triathlon and train on regular road shoes.
In most of the country, in colder temps, all that fabric and mesh is not good...even if covered.

Given a choice, go for the road shoe. Better upper structure for your foot for regular riding.
Old 03-23-06, 08:13 AM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, thats the type of info I was looking for. The road shoes sound like they will better overall so I think I'll go with them (although that could change once I get to the store again).
Old 03-23-06, 09:29 AM
Red is Faster!
...need...more...power...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the tri vent and the Carbon road shoe (with the buckle) from Specialized. I used to just use the tri shoe all the time. They are both GREAT shoes, but I found I lost a little something going on group rides on my sprints, jumps, etc. when I wore the Tri Vent. I live in Florida and found the Tri vent feels like you have air conditioning on your foot on a hot day. Nice feature when it's 95 degrees and 95% humididty. If it's a Triathlon, or it's hot and humid on a recovery ride, or solo base miles, I wear the Tri Vent. Otherwise I slap on the road shoe and go!

I have worn Sidi, and Diadora. I would rather either Specialized over these shoes.

Hope this helps!