Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mid-80s Ritchey - Unknown Tig Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 07:26 PM
cchmilar

Bikes: 1990 Marinoni Special, 1986 Proctor Custom, 1989 Kuwahara Caravan, Singular Firebird Stainless, Niner RIP9, Sekine SHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Mid-80s Ritchey - Unknown Tig Model

I picked up this bike off the local classifieds in the winter, and just got a chance to clean it up now that spring has arrived.

I think I am the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from picked it up at an estate sale a few months prior but was moving and clearing things out.

I had originally thought that this was from the batch of Japanese bikes for the Canadian market (as described on "The Ritchey Project" website). But a more careful reading of the information saws that those bikes were all lugged:

"Ritchey frames that are built using lugged construction were built in Japan by Toyo and imported into Canada by Rocky Mountain Bicycles. These frame were produced in the time period just after Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher ended their working relationship with each other. Tom, in search of a new distributor for his bikes, contacted Rocky Mountain who offered to sell whatever he could produce. Tube sets went to Toyo, who only built lugged frames, and completed Ritchey bikes were sent to Canada. At roughly this same time other Japanese-made Ritchey frames were being imported into the US, however these were TIG-welded"

Anyway, this is a tig welded frame, very likely made in Japan, that was found in Canada (so a good chance it was sold in the Canadian market.

As for the build, from what I can tell it is all original. Shimano "Deer Head" group, welded bullmoose bars (with "MountainBikes" branding), Tagaki Tourney XT cranks, Shimano 600 headset. Serial number does not follow that of the "normal" tig welded models.

Le me know your thoughts.

Likes For cchmilar:
Old 04-20-20, 01:47 PM
Niteshooter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cchmilar
I picked up this bike off the local classifieds in the winter, and just got a chance to clean it up now that spring has arrived.

I think I am the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from picked it up at an estate sale a few months prior but was moving and clearing things out.

I had originally thought that this was from the batch of Japanese bikes for the Canadian market (as described on "The Ritchey Project" website). But a more careful reading of the information saws that those bikes were all lugged:

"Ritchey frames that are built using lugged construction were built in Japan by Toyo and imported into Canada by Rocky Mountain Bicycles. These frame were produced in the time period just after Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher ended their working relationship with each other. Tom, in search of a new distributor for his bikes, contacted Rocky Mountain who offered to sell whatever he could produce. Tube sets went to Toyo, who only built lugged frames, and completed Ritchey bikes were sent to Canada. At roughly this same time other Japanese-made Ritchey frames were being imported into the US, however these were TIG-welded"

Anyway, this is a tig welded frame, very likely made in Japan, that was found in Canada (so a good chance it was sold in the Canadian market.

As for the build, from what I can tell it is all original. Shimano "Deer Head" group, welded bullmoose bars (with "MountainBikes" branding), Tagaki Tourney XT cranks, Shimano 600 headset. Serial number does not follow that of the "normal" tig welded models.

Le me know your thoughts.
It’s a Montare made for the Canadian market. There is a thread on here about it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tain-bike.html
Old 04-20-20, 02:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Wow! that bike appears to be in almost new condition. Bikes like that are so versatile, they can be ridden as is or with minimal modification they can become touring bikes, cyclocross bikes, or commuters. Please don't tell me the price you paid, I am already as green from envy as the colour of the frame
Old 04-20-20, 04:07 PM
cchmilar

Bikes: 1990 Marinoni Special, 1986 Proctor Custom, 1989 Kuwahara Caravan, Singular Firebird Stainless, Niner RIP9, Sekine SHT

Originally Posted by Niteshooter
It’s a Montare made for the Canadian market. There is a thread on here about it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tain-bike.html
Awesome, I will give that a read.
Thanks!

Last edited by cchmilar; 04-20-20 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 04:24 PM
cchmilar

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Wow! that bike appears to be in almost new condition. Bikes like that are so versatile, they can be ridden as is or with minimal modification they can become touring bikes, cyclocross bikes, or commuters. Please don't tell me the price you paid, I am already as green from envy as the colour of the frame
Yes, it is in great shape. All that I did to get it ready for photos was a wipe down with wet cloth.

I won't tell you what I paid, but it wasn't very much considering, haha.

I guess, as detailed in the thread above, it isn't a rare bike, but a very nice one at least.

Last edited by cchmilar; 04-20-20 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 09:37 AM
Danmozy66

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Sequoia, 1995 KHS Montana

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hey I found this exact same bike, I think! I considering buying it. Sorry to redirect old thread. I will DM you about it
Old 07-15-23, 03:54 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
This one, in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada is going to be up for grabs as soon as I determine fair value. The bike is in very nice shape. A Rivendale handlebar bag is also included.

Top Tube (c-c) = 57cm
Seat Tube (c-c) = 52cm