Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Floody Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 03:44 AM
modernfuturist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought a Romisen RC-C8 II R2 Flood-to-Throw LED Flashlight, and was unimpressed with its overall light output. I'm using it as my main light on my bike with a lockblock, and I have a Fenix LD-20 attached to my helmet.

I liked the full flood mode in theory, but in practice and on the bike, it just did not illuminate the road far enough in front of me for it to be practical. I was only using AAA's, but I've heard that using 18650's in the Romisen RC-C8 only improves battery life, and not light output.

Are there any other floody lights that are brighter than the Romisen in the ~$50 range?
Old 12-28-10, 10:33 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are very limited adjustable beam lights, and even more so with higher output flashlight. To get more flood pattern, you will need a smaller reflctor on the same emitter or a larger Die emitter on the same reflector size. SST50, P7, MCE are larger die will usually will be more floody but they also have a higher power consumption. XP-G is more efficient but in a smaller Die which means that they will tend to be more of a thrower unless the reflector is fairly small.

I just got some S Mini lights from Shiningbeam. It uses the XP-G emitter but since the reflector is very small, it cast out a more of a floody beam. I measured a hotspot beam of about 40 inches wide shot from a distant of 15ft. I bought three of those and when I put two side by side and compare them to a Magicshine 900, it was almost the same bightness and beam pattern. The rated lumen is 360 but probably 270 OTF. I did do a runtime and got 3hrs of runtime with the battery voltage still at 3.3 volt and some decrease in lumen. It finally shutoff at 3hrs and 7 minute at 3.28 volt from the AW2900 mah 18650.Ideally if you can fine a small flashlight in a small reflector package using the newer XM-L emitter(larger Die than the XP-G) driven at 1 to 1.5 amps, then that will be best. Darn thing is so small, it makes a good helmet light without the battery pack.

The other choice will be using a host and different P60 drop in and try out different emitter like the MCE or SST50 to get more flood. The good thing with drop in is that you can upgrade to try different emitter as they come out. The bad thing is that some are undriven because of the limited design to dissipate heat. Regardless, most will still have more output than the Romisen.
Old 12-28-10, 02:09 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The big question - are you going to be using 18650's or are you in need of something that uses AA or AAA cells.. If you upgrade to 18650's you will open yourself up to better and more powerful lighting options. The initial investment of charger and cells add some cost but it is worth it..
Old 12-28-10, 04:26 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
One thing many of us have found here is that when you get new lights you ad to what you're already using instead of replacing what you're using. Besides giving you redundancy, it also gives you more flexibility with the illuminated area while giving you even more to think about.
Old 12-29-10, 01:17 AM
modernfuturist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind going to 18650's but after investing in a good set of batteries and a charger, it bumps up the price.

For that kind of money, I'm wondering if I should just get the Busch and Muller Ixon IQ, since I already have Eneloops and a charger.
Old 12-29-10, 02:53 AM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modernfuturist
I liked the full flood mode in theory, but in practice and on the bike, it just did not illuminate the road far enough in front of me for it to be practical.
Based on my limited experience, you're asking for two different things here. I've had two big floody lights -- P7 and MCE -- and my TK-11 (R2) with half the light output outthrows both of them. Putting more power into a flood pattern hits diminishing returns real quick.

Why aren't you asking for more throw? What do you think about using two lights?
Old 12-29-10, 10:47 AM
Fynn

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I liked the full flood mode in theory, but in practice and on the bike, it just did not illuminate the road far enough in front of me for it to be practical.
I am running a Romisen RC-C8 II R2 Flood-to-Throw and a MG P-Rocket Cree XP-G R5 in combination. I am confused by your above statement. The RC-C8 is wonderful when adjust to full flood but of course this comes at the expense of throw. The design of flood to throw is such as to give you one or the other not both.

I am more impressed with the Romisen than I am the MG-P in terms of bike riding performance. The Romisen is much better at being a nice flood with some throw than the MG P rocket (OP reflector) is at being a strong thrower with some flood.

I am considering buying another RC-C8 to add to the lineup. The flood on that thing is killer and coupled with an even marginal thrower it gives a nice riding setup.
Old 12-29-10, 04:33 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

The OP is using AAA cells in his romisen and there be a significant output difference when using 18650's vs AAA cells in this light..
Old 12-29-10, 05:03 PM
modernfuturist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This review lead me to believe otherwise, but I will look into some 18650 batteries and a charger if you're saying there is a significant output difference.
Old 12-29-10, 05:38 PM
socalrider

I will test mine later tonight and see if there is difference in output. I always recommend people to make the jump to 18650's, it just gives you so many more options in higher power lights..
Old 01-02-11, 08:15 AM
modernfuturist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any update?
Old 01-10-11, 01:54 PM
modernfuturist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still wondering if the Romisen RC-C8 is brighter with 18650 batteries or if they simply provide longer run times.
Old 01-10-11, 02:12 PM
socalrider

I checked mine and the 18650's only provided a slight uptick in illumination. You should still consider upgrading to 18650 because of the larger pool of bright lights available with those cells..

best bang for the buck 18650 lights are, priced lowest to highest.. The new S mini could easily be used as a helmet light, since it is so light..

https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...4-II-R5/Detail

https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...-rocket/Detail

https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...P-dsh-G/Detail

Last edited by socalrider; 01-10-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't know if you would call this a floody light, and I don't even know if I'm qualified to describe lights at all. I bought this light recently and mounted it to my handlebar. I only used it at night once on a short ride, where there was street lighting. I think it works well, and I think I could use it on an unlit road, though I don't know fast it would let me go. It's only $36, and it uses two CR123 cells. Are two of those cells like a single 18650 cell?

Tom

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-11-11, 10:44 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know if you would call this a floody light, and I don't even know if I'm qualified to describe lights at all. I bought this light recently and mounted it to my handlebar. I only used it at night once on a short ride, where there was street lighting. I think it works well, and I think I could use it on an unlit road, though I don't know fast it would let me go. It's only $36, and it uses two CR123 cells. Are two of those cells like a single 18650 cell?
A single CR123 is 3v, so 2 x CR123 is 6v for your flashlight. A single 18650 is 3.7 nominal volt. Most LED Volt forward are in the 3v range so that means most Led flashlight can run on 18650. However the body size is the issue. Flashlight has spring contact on one or both end and can accomondate the longer lenght of a 18650 but a CR123 is 17mm diameter and an 18650 is 18mm. Those flashlight that were design for CR123 most likely are machined out to fit CR123 only and does not have clearance for the 18mm dia of an 18650.
Old 01-11-11, 05:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Thanks, Colleen.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-11, 11:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
FWIW. The LED inside most tacticals runs ~4V. That is more or less the voltage of one 18650. Some tacticals run two 18650's. Does that mean a brighter light? Maybe, maybe not. There will be some kind of diode driver that will drop the voltage before it hits the chip. With two batteries the manufacturer can boost output or boost endurance and anything in-between. That out the way, the reason I jumped in here was to tell you that the floodlight par excellence is the MagicShine bike light. I am in my 2nd week using one and I am glad I went against the tactical geeks and bought a bike specific head-light. Tacticals are great for throw but when I am riding at night I am much more concerned with right here than with what is 1/4 mi down the road! If the MagicShine were all flood and no throw it would still be a great light. It's hellaciously bright and that is a kind of throw all its own.

Ever notice that the tactical advocates are usually using two (and more) lights together? That is an attempt to get some flood out of what are otherwise pretty throwy lights. That is what I used to do with my 4AAA Ascent 1/2W LED Commuter Headlights. Run two of them and point one of them slightly cockeyed to the right to light up the gutter and keep me out of the storm drains! Now with one light I have the best of both worlds and it uses four 18650's for run-time that you measure in hours, not minutes. Seriously, the MagicShine beam is practically panoramic but it has a center cone that reaches out if you tilt the light up. The only thing better IMO would be two of them! I am not a MagicShine seller, just a MagicShine convert. You know how the newly converted can be...

H
Old 01-15-11, 06:21 PM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
L - just in the unlikely case you hadn't heard, there's a recall on MS battery packs: https://www.bikerumor.com/2010/11/15/...es-stop-using/

Last edited by Mondoman; 01-15-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 02:14 AM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Ever notice that the tactical advocates are usually using two (and more) lights together? That is an attempt to get some flood out of what are otherwise pretty throwy lights.
You can get some very floody flashlights if you're looking for flood. I just added a second 18650 mount to my bike so I could use my TK11 for throw along with my L2/MCE for flood. With the MCE alone (350 lumens OTF) there was a huge patch of light in front of me but it didn't go that far down the road. With the two together I am very comfortable at 25mph.
Old 01-18-11, 01:05 PM
modernfuturist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ended up purchasing a B&M Ixon IQ because I didn't want to purchase 18650 batteries and a charger. Will report back with my reviews once I receive the light, especially since it's a less popular product.
Old 01-18-11, 02:24 PM
socalrider

Ended up purchasing a B&M Ixon IQ because I didn't want to purchase 18650 batteries and a charger. Will report back with my reviews once I receive the light, especially since it's a less popular product.
Once you make the jump to 18650 cells and charger you will have more choices in higher powered lights..