Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can I power this Led Flashlight w/ 12v or 14.4 v It uses one 26650 w/ 3 Cree xm-l ?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Can I power this Led Flashlight w/ 12v or 14.4 v It uses one 26650 w/ 3 Cree xm-l ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 10:29 PM
12smile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4000Lm-Lumen...90049384878520

This is a handy size, VERY bright...I'm buying another for $43.
I am powering a bank of flashing led's plus a bar of 4 Luxeon lights (no driver) with a pack of 12 1.2v NMIH cells.(14.4volts)

The light uses a 26650 battery and has 3 Cree XM-L leds....plenty of light...I am tempted to mod the flashlight with an insert to deliver my on-board 14.4 nimh or 12 v Sealed lead acid power to the innards of the handlebar mounted flashlight.

Question is:

Will it take that much voltage with out a driver / reducer?

Thanks

These are the leds I'm using as marker lights...they run on 12v.
Old 04-05-12, 11:00 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to the description listed, the maximum voltage is 4.2v.
Old 04-06-12, 02:31 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Sorry, but there's no way a 3 XM-L flashlight will put out 4000 lumens. More realistically it will be 2000 lumens. On maximum, the run time isn't going to be all that great, even with the 26650. It looks like a nice light, though. There's a lot of info on budgetlightforum.com about cheap lights. The three bulb lights are pretty popular. You can probably find a relatively cheap, semi-reliable, budget light that will meet your needs. This one is rather large, with a 2.5" head.
Old 04-06-12, 06:34 AM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that if I got 1300 lumens from it I'd be happy ...It puts out a lot of light....I will be content to change out batts.

The Magic shine lights are about $75 w/ power pack...this one when off the bike is BY FAR the brightest light I own....I can see fine details that normal house light doesn't show.

I am suprised that the head doesn't heat up even when on high power for a while.
Old 04-06-12, 07:18 AM
rscamp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure. Use a dummy cell to make the electrical connection inside the flashlight and use a DC-DC converter to drop the voltage from the 12V supply...
Old 04-06-12, 07:50 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that if I got 1300 lumens from it I'd be happy ...It puts out a lot of light....I will be content to change out batts.
I would think 1300 is an accurate guess.

If you allow much more than 4amps (@4.2V) to the light head - I think it will overheat and burn out. Using a higher voltage battery with many cells in series will give unpredictable results.

I guess i could look around the CP forums to find out what a 3 led torch will draw with the manufacturers recommended batteries. Then you could predict true brightness. But for bicycling - this is a bit of overkill.
Old 04-06-12, 08:47 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rscamp
Sure. Use a dummy cell to make the electrical connection inside the flashlight and use a DC-DC converter to drop the voltage from the 12V supply...
Yes, that would be one method. It probably need to be beefy enough to handle at least 4 to 5 amp load (I am guessing). The original product described it being 18w but I highly doubt that rating being true. I would think a single 26650 battery can handle a 1C load for a short duration before sagging therfore making a 4 amp converter may work.

Option 2: open the head of the flashlight. See if there is room for rewiring the Emitter and swapping the driver. Wire them in series and change the driver to a 11.1v driver. You will need to find a driver that has the mode you like and the appropriate output for the three LED in series. I suspect those led are just thermal pasted down to a heatsink and the driver is behind the heatsink. This might make it easier to mod it if so.
Old 04-06-12, 09:46 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 12smile

The Magic shine lights are about $75 w/ power pack...this one when off the bike is BY FAR the brightest light I own....I can see fine details that normal house light doesn't show.

I am suprised that the head doesn't heat up even when on high power for a while.
I have been looking at that same light for quite a while. I mentioned it on the flashllight forums too. Like you said, most likely it is not going to be 4000 lums, but even if you only get half, you still up there.. I had read some reviews about the seller, they were so so. Also, on Ebay, they have the same light listed for different prices. Some of the prices are as high as $95 for the same light. I would love to see you get it and write a review. Because if it is hot, I am on it too.

She is fat, like UFT70 but for half the price..

There is another one call the DRY, and that is up there too in price. They are all 1 x 26650 3x cree lights. The one you listed is the cheapest.
It will mount, I saw where somebody mounted a DRY, a JM 07, and another light all on one bike.

Waiting for a review from you..

BTW, that seller also has "make offer" which I did a couple weeks ago. The seller went from $42.99 to $42.00 So, if you do get it make an offer!!
Old 04-06-12, 02:13 PM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I have been looking at that same light for quite a while. I mentioned it on the flashllight forums too. Like you said, most likely it is not going to be 4000 lums, but even if you only get half, you still up there.. I had read some reviews about the seller, they were so so. Also, on Ebay, they have the same light listed for different prices. Some of the prices are as high as $95 for the same light. I would love to see you get it and write a review. Because if it is hot, I am on it too.

She is fat, like UFT70 but for half the price..

There is another one call the DRY, and that is up there too in price. They are all 1 x 26650 3x cree lights. The one you listed is the cheapest.
It will mount, I saw where somebody mounted a DRY, a JM 07, and another light all on one bike.

Waiting for a review from you..

BTW, that seller also has "make offer" which I did a couple weeks ago. The seller went from $42.99 to $42.00 So, if you do get it make an offer!!
It's interesting that you've been watching the same light.

I did buy it and will buy another today. the vendor is called 'Campingsurvivals' from Brooklyn NY. Arrived quickly but without bubble wrap. the box that held it was tossed into a tyvek envelop and mailed.

I thought it was weird that the same light (w/ cheapo battery and cheapo charger) varied in price from $52 to $95 to $133. That bothered me a little but for 'made in China' the hardware is working well.

I just bought 2 of these chargers
https://www.bugoutgearusa.com/i4charger.html
for $50 W free shipping.

The Sysmax / Nitecore intellicharger i4 version 2 ...well reviewed and I have high expectations.

I will order 4 4seven 26650 batts from Amazon today and we'll see how it goes.

2 of the 3x Cree XM-L lights on the front of the bike...it should be all I need ...97% of my riding is on Minneapolis bike trails (some of the best in the US considering it's winter for 6 months)

The light fits nicely in the hand when it's off the bike and will even go into a jacket pocket...the 18650 lights that use 2-3 cells seem akward in that regard.

Haven't dropped it yet... I 'made offer' on Ebay for $37.99 and it was rejected (that was for the $42.99 version without the charger and battery.

I plan to run 2 of these in addition to my home made 4x Luxeon light (running on 12v) and I have high expectations....will need to be mindful of oncoming cyclists

$42.99 for this light w/ 3 Cree XM-L LED's in a reflector vs buying components (the Cree's on a star are about $10) and I decided to buy the lights instead of building from scratch.

One thing you can't really get from the illustrations is how nicely it fits in the hand. It does come with an adaptor sleeve to use 18650 batts.

I expect 4 26650 batteries will do for this season especially if I click down to medium power which I think triples the runtime..

I'm now looking for just the right 'Flashlight to Handlebar' holder...did a google search for that term and found SEARCHING THE IMAGE RESULTS INSTEAD OF THE WEB RESULTS to be very useful....I would click on an interesting picture of a mount and it would lead me to a webpage.

My summation would be for $43 you can't go wrong. 'Campingsurvivals' got it to me quickly and I think it compares well to lights costing 3-4x as much.

Hope that helps.

I'd like to see a mod that uses this head and an external battery pack.

Eddie
Old 04-06-12, 05:37 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's interesting that you've been watching the same light.

I did buy it and will buy another today. the vendor is called 'Campingsurvivals' from Brooklyn NY. Arrived quickly but without bubble wrap. the box that held it was tossed into a tyvek envelop and mailed.

I thought it was weird that the same light (w/ cheapo battery and cheapo charger) varied in price from $52 to $95 to $133. That bothered me a little but for 'made in China' the hardware is working well.

I just bought 2 of these chargers
https://www.bugoutgearusa.com/i4charger.html
for $50 W free shipping.

The Sysmax / Nitecore intellicharger i4 version 2 ...well reviewed and I have high expectations.

I will order 4 4seven 26650 batts from Amazon today and we'll see how it goes.

2 of the 3x Cree XM-L lights on the front of the bike...it should be all I need ...97% of my riding is on Minneapolis bike trails (some of the best in the US considering it's winter for 6 months)

The light fits nicely in the hand when it's off the bike and will even go into a jacket pocket...the 18650 lights that use 2-3 cells seem akward in that regard.

Haven't dropped it yet... I 'made offer' on Ebay for $37.99 and it was rejected (that was for the $42.99 version without the charger and battery.

I plan to run 2 of these in addition to my home made 4x Luxeon light (running on 12v) and I have high expectations....will need to be mindful of oncoming cyclists

$42.99 for this light w/ 3 Cree XM-L LED's in a reflector vs buying components (the Cree's on a star are about $10) and I decided to buy the lights instead of building from scratch.

One thing you can't really get from the illustrations is how nicely it fits in the hand. It does come with an adaptor sleeve to use 18650 batts.

I expect 4 26650 batteries will do for this season especially if I click down to medium power which I think triples the runtime..

I'm now looking for just the right 'Flashlight to Handlebar' holder...did a google search for that term and found SEARCHING THE IMAGE RESULTS INSTEAD OF THE WEB RESULTS to be very useful....I would click on an interesting picture of a mount and it would lead me to a webpage.

My summation would be for $43 you can't go wrong. 'Campingsurvivals' got it to me quickly and I think it compares well to lights costing 3-4x as much.

Hope that helps.

I'd like to see a mod that uses this head and an external battery pack.

Eddie
Eddie, thanks for a SUPER REPORT/REVIEW.

Also, I think the sellers are all the same.. They are all in Brooklyn NY.. The one I was going to deal with was hi-tech. The "make offer" is always rejected, and they come back with 1 dollar off. Dam, this flashlight beenz done hit me. I got 3 flashlight on the way and thinking about ordering this one. Judging from the amount of light I am getting from two 18650 torches up front, if you put two of these 3x cree babies up front, that is going to be a "muther" of a light pattern..I seen this on BLF, and they have the badazz Dry along with another 26650 light, and an 18650 light. On the top two lights, they are using the two fish mount, I think they are using that same mount to mout the dry underneath..

You really push me close to pulling the trigger on this light. I was leary, and I wrote them and asked about their return policy. They stated, if something is wrong, they will make it right.

Post up some pictures when you get them mounted.

BTW, I ordered some TF 26650s from DX. I already have a 26650 charger, but might get the one you got listed too.

Again, thanks for the super report/review...
Old 04-06-12, 10:41 PM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you email 'Campingsurvivals' before your order you might ask them to toss a piece of new (or used) bubble wrap (or even yesterdays newspaper) into your package...Mine had no cushioning protection and could have wound up w/ broken glass as the lightweight white box it came in had dis-combobulated itself.

In addition to the Cree's and Luxeon (homemade) lights I'm planning a 'light bar'
https://www.ebay.com/itm/220920715189...84.m1497.l2649

These 44 led panels cost about $12 each and I plan to mount 4 together in the front and 3 (red to the back / 2x amber to the side) all running on 12 / 14.4 volt.

In the front the top two panels will be white and the bottom two red / blue. Cheaply made but working so far. The light you see in the panels is the reflection of the Android led flash. I will wire it to use the included switcher's strobe function OR to be 'always on'. The dimensions of the resulting light bar will be 5 inches high / 14.5 inches wide and about 1 inch thick.

When finished it should be quite the conversation piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0424.jpg (94.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0436.jpg (101.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by 12smile; 04-06-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 10:38 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you email 'Campingsurvivals' before your order you might ask them to toss a piece of new (or used) bubble wrap (or even yesterdays newspaper) into your package...Mine had no cushioning protection and could have wound up w/ broken glass as the lightweight white box it came in had dis-combobulated itself.

In addition to the Cree's and Luxeon (homemade) lights I'm planning a 'light bar'
https://www.ebay.com/itm/220920715189...84.m1497.l2649

These 44 led panels cost about $12 each and I plan to mount 4 together in the front and 3 (red to the back / 2x amber to the side) all running on 12 / 14.4 volt.

In the front the top two panels will be white and the bottom two red / blue. Cheaply made but working so far. The light you see in the panels is the reflection of the Android led flash. I will wire it to use the included switcher's strobe function OR to be 'always on'. The dimensions of the resulting light bar will be 5 inches high / 14.5 inches wide and about 1 inch thick.

When finished it should be quite the conversation piece
Well, I am going to tell you like somebody told me when I passed them with my lights. They said "you are not going to be hit"... .. Meaning, you are SEEN BIG TIME. I think it would be safe to say, that 95% of the bicyclist that get hit by cars, the reason is "I didn't see them".. With the way you and I go about lights, I don't think we have a problem...

Your light bar is awesome, and will go well with your application. However, I ride road bikes, and to top that off, I THINK I am cool looking!! With that said, I got to have lights that blend in with the bike and not to many obtrusions. On my rear, I have been using a Planet Bike SuperFlash Turbo, along with two $2.50 wonder rear lights off Ebay. The reason I call them "wonder rear lights" is because they rival my PBSF Turbo rear light for 1/10th the cost. I put these on the back of my helmet, and on the frame stays of my bike. Check out the helmet on the ground, it has one on the back, and on the bike is the PBSF Turbo.

If I get the light, I will be getting it here, but will tell them to make sure they pack the light.
I put in another offer for that light.. $41.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4000lm-Lumen...33049496038277
Have you picked the mount for that light yet? IMO, I would go with this.. A two fish knock off..

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...diameter-31871
Old 04-07-12, 02:04 PM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/quick-r...le-black-69273

I'm attracted to this clamp. $6.00 at Deal Extreme it's a 'quick release thumbscrew style clamp for a Bottle Bracket'

I would use 2 joined together for $12...I like it because it's similar to a photographers studio clamp called 'The super Clamp' I've used 2 paired 'Super Clamps' to hold the light but it's too big / heavy / bulky / overkill.

You can crank it nice and tight as opposed to begging the Velcro to grip.

The other bonus is that it could help me use the flash light 'Off-Bike' My previous favorite flashlight was my Makita 12 Volt light with an articulating head that used the 12 v NiMH battery pack from the drill kit.

It was so useful for mundane tasks like locating the usb port on the back of the computer in a dimly lit area...you could just stand the light up and aim it and then work with both hands.....I envision being able to use the Cree 26650 light in a similar fashion.

I'm also toying with the idea of buying a 14.4 Volt based Drill set and using the battery packs to power the bike's lights as well as the drill.
Old 04-07-12, 02:52 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Go for it Eddie!! That mount seems like just the ticket for your needs..

On the light again, found it for $37.75 and coming out of New York too. This was posted on the BLF forum, the sale ends in 2 days..

https://www.tmart.com/BeamTech-BT4000...k_p136641.html

I checked, and it is the same light. Also, from what you suggested, I will make sure I tell them to pack it securely. I made another offer on ebay for $41, most likely they will reject that, and most likely I will get this one. Can't think it on too long, after all, the sale is just for two more days! If I do ordered this one, I will have FOUR flashlights enroute to me all at one time..

Now, I thought I would be badazz busting two 26650 1x cree light us front, busting two of these 3x cree lights, they might just give me the highway just like they do for emergency vehicles.. I am loving this chit!!

Look, I want to see beam shots and shots of that bad boy mounted, you hear??
Old 04-07-12, 08:16 PM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a standard for manual settings on a camera for beam shot comparison???
somewhere I heard

6 seconds F/4 Iso 200

I guess whatever you do just keep in on manual and the same settings for each shot.
Old 04-07-12, 09:42 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a standard for manual settings on a camera for beam shot comparison???
somewhere I heard

6 seconds F/4 Iso 200

I guess whatever you do just keep in on manual and the same settings for each shot.

MTBR has a standard they use. Since they have a lots of beamshot photo, I think it would be benefial to use their settings.

F 4.0
Shutter 4 seconds
ISO 100
White balance daylight
Manual focus

Shots should include a control shot as reference to the existing ambient surrounding lights. What I notice is that many sample of beamshot (here and elsewhere, except at MTBR) are over exposed making their lights appear much brighter than what it should be. Evident of over expose shot will hint surrounding building being lit up and cloud also being brighter in appearance. The control shot helps in reavealing how much light were readily there and if exposure were set to high.

Last edited by colleen c; 04-07-12 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 04-07-12, 11:06 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
OP, not to rain on your flashlight parade, but if I did the math right, you've got $220 in this 2 flashlight, 2 charger, 4 cell, 4 clamp headlight system.

These 2 lights probably will run 1 hour on 4 cells on high, or perhaps 2 hours on 50% medium, at which point you'd have perhaps 1000-1500 lumens total.

For another $30-40 you could have a Gemini Olympia or Dinotte XML3 headlight, either of which will match the output of the 2 flashlights on medium, with more run-time and no interruption to swap cells mid-ride, in a smaller package, with a real 1 or 2 year warranty. Plus no fuss pulling batteries out, charging, replacing, repeat.
Old 04-08-12, 08:30 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
OP, not to rain on your flashlight parade, but if I did the math right, you've got $220 in this 2 flashlight, 2 charger, 4 cell, 4 clamp headlight system.

These 2 lights probably will run 1 hour on 4 cells on high, or perhaps 2 hours on 50% medium, at which point you'd have perhaps 1000-1500 lumens total.

For another $30-40 you could have a Gemini Olympia or Dinotte XML3 headlight, either of which will match the output of the 2 flashlights on medium, with more run-time and no interruption to swap cells mid-ride, in a smaller package, with a real 1 or 2 year warranty. Plus no fuss pulling batteries out, charging, replacing, repeat.
I gotta agree, those battery pack bike lights are the king of runtime.

On the $220. If that is correct, IMO, didn't need to go that high. Four quality cells can be had for $40, one charger $15, mounts, about $25(if that much) and $86 for two lights. I think the OP is pushing around $180. I addition, and correct me if I am wrong, the OP had other duties for the flashlights which come into play too. Something that quality battery-pack lights you mentioned can't serve..

Also, and only speaking for myself, because I am running road bikes, and I try to keep them smooth looking like my sport motorcycles. Nothing hanging out!! . One other thing on the price, in the next couple days, those same flashlights, a pair (2) can be had for about $75.
Old 04-09-12, 04:59 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on one too.. They have in on sale for $37.75 with free shipping..

The sale will be over in 2 hours..
Old 04-10-12, 03:46 AM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SYSMAX NITECORE JETBEAM INTELLICHARGER i4 VERSION 2 arrived and it wildly exceeds expections:

Build quality
Price
Good English Directions !!!
$25 for the first one, buy two get free shipping on Both making #2 only $20.

From the quality of the cardboard and printing of the Box to the quality of the plastic and injection moulding of the plastic it is A grade quality.

One reviewer complained about the quality of the spring loaded contacts and they are wrong.

You'd never in any regard think that this is "made in China'

Detailed review to follow,

This is a definate buy.

Nicely suprised
Old 04-14-12, 05:54 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dam, you going to make me spring for one of those too...
Old 04-14-12, 01:33 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The SYSMAX NITECORE JETBEAM INTELLICHARGER i4 VERSION 2 arrived and it wildly exceeds expections:

Build quality
Price
Good English Directions !!!
$25 for the first one, buy two get free shipping on Both making #2 only $20.

From the quality of the cardboard and printing of the Box to the quality of the plastic and injection moulding of the plastic it is A grade quality.

One reviewer complained about the quality of the spring loaded contacts and they are wrong.

You'd never in any regard think that this is "made in China'

Detailed review to follow,

This is a definate buy.

Nicely suprised
We are rolling together..

I got the light and just ordered the charger here!! $25.00 Free shipping..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYSMAX-Intel...torefresh=true

Got the light too, but, it must have rolled around in shipping, because something seems loose. It worked when I took it out the box and put in a Keygos 26650 battery. Then I slipped the adapter and put in a Hi Max 18650 battery.. Worked great. Came back 20 minutes later, and it wouldn't come on. Shook it, it still wouldn't come on. I am dealing with Tmart, and they got super customer service. I emailed them told them the problem, and they apologized and sent me a mailer to send it back for exchange. When I picked it back up 30 minutes later, it started working again. It did that on and off thing 3 or 4 times. IMO, that points to something being loose. Since it is a new light, I am not fishing for the loosenees.

It is a flooder, more than a beamer. It should be a perfect bicycle light. Also, it fits like a glove in the two fish knock off mounts..

I got it on sale here, for $37.75 with free shipping. Since then, it has went back up to $50

Old 04-14-12, 01:58 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
MTBR has a standard they use. Since they have a lots of beamshot photo, I think it would be benefial to use their settings.

F 4.0
Shutter 4 seconds
ISO 100
White balance daylight
Manual focus

Shots should include a control shot as reference to the existing ambient surrounding lights. What I notice is that many sample of beamshot (here and elsewhere, except at MTBR) are over exposed making their lights appear much brighter than what it should be. Evident of over expose shot will hint surrounding building being lit up and cloud also being brighter in appearance. The control shot helps in reavealing how much light were readily there and if exposure were set to high.
Please correct me if I missed something - I believe that is / was the standard for 'regular' lighting systems. With the introduction of newer, higher output systems I think a second reference was adopted for 'high powered' bike lights. Last time I checked (and it may have changed), it was:F 4.0
Shutter speed 1 second
ISO 100
White balance daylight
Manual focus

About 1/4 the exposure time and an indication that the newer lights can be ridiculously bright compared to ten years back.

Last edited by Burton; 04-14-12 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-14-12, 07:40 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burton
Please correct me if I missed something - I believe that is / was the standard for 'regular' lighting systems. With the introduction of newer, higher output systems I think a second reference was adopted for 'high powered' bike lights. Last time I checked (and it may have changed), it was:F 4.0
Shutter speed 1 second
ISO 100
White balance daylight
Manual focus

About 1/4 the exposure time and an indication that the newer lights can be ridiculously bright compared to ten years back.
That was also my impression early on as the light shootouts thread got started at MTBR. I thought they were going to decrease the exposure time. However when the backyard beamsot and the trail beam shot was posted, I noticed those shots were listed as 4 seconds of exposure time.
Old 04-15-12, 02:42 PM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my second '4000 Lumen' light. and I did notice that neither worked when I took them out of the package....I had to unscrew them, jiggle the spring inside and generally torque them around a bit....and they've been working fine since.....if yours starts working properly you may just want to keep it ???

Also did first full charge of 4sevens 26650 Batteries. Note that the 4 bay charger will charge 2 of those at a time.

Again, the fit and finish and quality of materials and assembly is Grade A...even the smooth running of the negative contact that is spring loaded and runs in a channel...it's travels smoothly and I'm not worried about it crapping out.
I've bought some 'Crap from China' and this is not 'Crap from China'

there are 3 flashing leds for each of the 4 independent charging channels and they will give you a 1-3 level of charge indication and glow steady when done.

There are 4 independent channels but there seems to be TWO INDEPENDENT CHARGE CHANNELS....

SLOT 1 AND 3 AND SLOT 2 AND 4 ARE 'LINKED'

I charged 4 batteries in 2 chargers on one charger I placed the batteries in slots 1 and 3 (slots 2 and 4 would have given the same result) and these cells charged SLOWER THAN THE CELLS IN THE SECOND CHARGER WHICH WERE PLACED IN SLOTS 1 AND 4.

THE CELLS IN SLOTS 1 AND 4 WERE DONE CHARGING SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER THAN THE CELLS IN THE FIRST CHARGER (1/3 OR 2/4)

note you can't place the 26650 cells in slot 2 AND slot 3 because of the diameter of the cells.

So .....you have 4 independent charging channels AND 2 'CHARGING CHANNELS'

For a slower charge use 1/3 or 2/4

For a faster charge use slots 1 and 4

For $25 W free shipping this charger IS A STEAL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.