Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight/performance changes during COVID?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 10:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I have spent years tracking calories taken in and calories burned. Also tracking miles on the bike of course. In March, at the start of COVID here, I weighed approx 193-195 lbs. FWIW my college football weight was 185 lbs. And, when I finished Basic Training in the Army I was 178 lbs. That was 1969 and I was 23. When I was able to get back on the bike (weather related) I gave up club/group rides for solo rides and rides with my GF. This allowed me to ride shorter and HIIT type rides which is what I like. So, my pace was up but my miles were 1/2 of what I'd normally ride. About 50-60 miles a week. I also stopped eating out. And, I am eating a lot less of everything, although I now have a craving for cookies and sweets that I never had before. Seriously...never. I also cut back on alcohol. I have a weird relationship with alcohol. If I buy a 6-pack of beer or a couple bottles of wine they will go untouched unless guests are here. Unlikely since we only do outdoor socializing and with 2-3 others. OTOH, bourbon is my friend. Probably averaging 4-6 oz a night. So.....what is the result? Well, my weight is now at 180 lbs. I am climbing better that I have in 20 years and I am so much more fluid on the bike. Recently did a PR on a 1 mile flat Strava segment at 25 mph. Just wondering if others have seen changes during this time of Pandemic.

I should mention...I no longer track calories in or out since March.
Old 10-29-20, 10:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
On avg about 2 to 3 lbs heavier versus last year. Road bike power is maybe up 5 to 10w. But......with a TT bike focus........that is up a full 40w over a 10mi effort. That's a mammoth change in actualized results.

Last years PR on my 10mi course by my work was like 24.5mph. This year it is 26.6mph. Similar equipment, close enough to call it even. Same skinsuit, same helmet, disc rear, etc....

Finding even just 1mph more for 2021 is going to be a tall task!
Likes For burnthesheep: