Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Steerer Tube Length

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Steerer Tube Length

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 02:13 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Steerer Tube Length

After many many years, I am back on my road bike. I hope there is no safety issue with the length of my steerer tube.

Threadless
1 1/2 inches.
Columbus SLX fork
Thanks
Old 10-29-20, 03:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Could you expound a little on your question? What does 1 1/2 inches mean? Is that the length past the headset?
Old 10-29-20, 08:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Agreed with Eric about more data. 1 1/2" what? That's a huge steerer diameter (if that is what it is referencing) for an older road bike. And why do you question the safety? Andy
Old 10-30-20, 02:20 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Please forgive my lack of clarity. I guess I was having a bad day.

This is a 1 inch steel steerer tube.
I have about 1 1/2 inches of spaces to raise the handlebars. I just don't want to have the steerer tube snap on me. I want to retain whatever teeth I have left. Please forgive the rantings of a 74 year old man.
Old 10-30-20, 05:34 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Please forgive my lack of clarity. I guess I was having a bad day.

This is a 1 inch steel steerer tube.
I have about 1 1/2 inches of spaces to raise the handlebars. I just don't want to have the steerer tube snap on me. I want to retain whatever teeth I have left. Please forgive the rantings of a 74 year old man.
Pictures would help. Remember the cardinal rule "pics or it didn't happen". I know, as a newbie, you aren't allowed to upload pics yet. But find some bikes you like and tell the owners you like 'em, up to 5 a day for 2 days and then you're over the posting threshold.

But you're probably quite safe, as long as there's not something weird going on. There are some variables like how long your stem is, how much you weigh etc that could change my assessment. Plus is it assembled and adjusted right, and tight enough? But in general, 1-1/2" of spacers is not a problem on a normal-weight Cr-Mo steerer such as yours.

Bring it to a good mechanic for a safety once-over to be sure though. There are things that could go wrong that we can't rule out from your description, and even with good photos I wouldn't give it the stamp of approval — I need to have the bike in front of me to do that.

BTW this isn't really a framebuilding question. This is something that any competent mechanic could answer for you.

One more tip, fill out your profile with some location info. Often if we know your hometown, someone can suggest resources that are local to you.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-30-20, 08:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
He can't post pictures because he needs 10 posts. He could post one in his gallery and we could rescue it if he told us about it.

If all you are asking is if 1 1/2" of spacers is too much, the answer is it's perfectly safe. Make sure a 5mm spacer is above your stem and has some steerer to register on. Also need to make sure the top cap isn't bottomed out on the steerer