Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

henry James closed?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

henry James closed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 08:48 PM
Serenity5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
henry James closed?

so i have been looking into sourcing for drop outs, bb shell and a few other things and I had HJ on my list and i thought i was on their site not long ago. Anyone know what happened? Hate to see one of only a few suppliers close up shop.
Old 10-24-20, 09:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
HJ closed up a number of months ago IIRC. Andy
Old 10-25-20, 01:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yeah, it's a shame, but we're all getting older.

Which reminds me: I came across this "blast from the past" in a pile of old papers recently:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
james-0001.jpg (403.6 KB, 186 views)
james-0002.jpg (407.2 KB, 179 views)
james-0003.jpg (325.0 KB, 180 views)
james-0004.jpg (301.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 10-25-20, 04:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I wonder if they closed with any lug inventory left. I didn't really feel like adding to my lug inventory, but those were nice lugs
Old 10-25-20, 06:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
If I understand the slow closing down of HJ the popular stuff was long ago sold out.

The way these thing often go is the business tries to sell as much as possible with increasing discounts as the weeks go on and at some point the reminder is sold off to a competitor for 10-20 cents on the dollar.

When I last looked with serious intent to buy, some months ago, pretty much all the frame fittings and tubing was gone. What was left was odd bits and some HJ specific tools. I'll bet one of the up and coming suppliers got what was left. Andy
Old 10-25-20, 11:39 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nova cycles site is down. Last time it was up a couple weeks ago most tubing sets were sold out. I hope there not gone too. I was counting on a 29er tubing set with curved stays to build a plus size frame for myself (farm bike). I looked at Frame Builders Supply too (Columbus only). I am hoping to find something a little more generic for this project as it is only my second frame which will likely be fillet brazed.
Old 10-26-20, 04:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I think Lon is a little younger (maybe more than a little younger) than Hank, but both are retirement age. At least one person has said that Nova was moving on to new ownership and a new business model, but no announcements have been made. I have also heard they expected new stock soon and the time frame of that is starting to be somewhat strained. It's a tricky time to run a small business in the cycling industry right now, because bigger customers probably get priority. and there are shortages. The main product I would miss from Nova is the disc specific fork blades. The cheapest alternative is $65 vs. $25. I'm a little annoyed that Columbus hasn't seem to have seen the need for that product.

On edit: Nova website is up for me.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-26-20 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 06:47 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Tube inventory has been bad at most of the usual suppliers lately. Nova is out of all of the 9/6/9 downtubes that I would normally use for MTB frames. Framebuilder Supply and Bikefabsupply don't seem to stock anything in 9/6/9. Vari-Wall is effectively out of the framebuilding tube business, with the exception of a few select builders.

Torch and File seems to have a decent stock of Reynolds tubes and also stocks some 9/6/9 downtubes that I will be ordering for some upcoming MTB builds.
Old 10-26-20, 09:16 AM
Serenity5

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I was also was thinking Nova had gone down too but as noted they are back up.
Old 10-26-20, 09:52 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I'm glad to see that Nova is back up as well. When I saw that their site was down I got a little worried. As I understand it, they have are in the process of relocating (again) and have to move by the end of Oct, which would explain why their stock if low. If I hear more I will report back.
Old 10-26-20, 05:25 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Nova just updated their facebook stating that the website was down due to hacking. It's back up now except for the NovaCycles.com redirect.
Old 10-31-20, 10:40 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts

The Nova site now says:

Nova Cycles will be closed for until November 11th for inventory and reorganization. The website remains up but we are not able to take orders or process them at this time.