Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

In Your 80s? Share Your Experiences

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 07:29 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts

I'm 70 and been riding for three years. I'm interested in hearing about the riding experiences of those of you a decade or more older. What bike(s) do you ride? How often do you ride? How far do you go? How long have you been riding? Any off-road riding? Do you ride solo or group rides (or both)? Anything else interesting to share? I'm guessing I'm not the only one interested in hearing your cycling experiences.
Old 11-06-20, 09:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I have posted before, I rode my bike to country school from the 3 grade to the 11th grade. Then Navy and a job came along, and I was off the bike. Then when my two oldest sons got old enough to ride in the early 80s I started riding with them, and got interested in biking again. My middle son and youngest son even raced some. I continued to ride and got better bikes from the LBS. Then since I am a life long technician, looking at recumbents because they looked logical, I bought one in 2005. My road bike and mountain bike never turned a wheel again. I now have a LWB recumbent and a tadpole trike. The bike goes on the hiways with the bike club, and the trike is for the MUPs in town. In Dec I will be 82, and ride anywhere from 20 to 35 miles every other day in warm weather. Unfortunately I live in the snow belt and am off the bikes for about 4 months out of the year. I fill those 4 months in riding a recumbent bike in the local gym my retirement package pays for. I have been blessed with exceptional good health, which I lay in part to because of my biking. I continue to say-----------if you set you rust.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-07-20 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-06-20, 03:08 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I started when I was 66 and have been riding 14 years or a little longer. I rode more when I started, but now it’s about 3 times a week. I usually ride 25 to 30 miles a ride. All my riding is on the road. I turned 80 in august.
Old 11-08-20, 01:17 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Thanks, rydabent and George. I've only been riding for three years, and I feel like I'm getting faster and stronger on the bike, but at age 70 I know that won't continue forever. Just interested in looking toward what might be ahead. One big difference I see between the two of you is one of you is riding a recumbent bike and the other a Roubaix. Maybe not remarkable as in any age group people will be riding different types of bikes.
Likes For Random11:
Old 11-09-20, 10:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Random11
Thanks, rydabent and George. I've only been riding for three years, and I feel like I'm getting faster and stronger on the bike, but at age 70 I know that won't continue forever. Just interested in looking toward what might be ahead. One big difference I see between the two of you is one of you is riding a recumbent bike and the other a Roubaix. Maybe not remarkable as in any age group people will be riding different types of bikes.
The reason I ride bents is for the enjoyment they provide by seeing where I am riding. I sit pretty much fully up right and have a full field of vision. Just one example of what I am saying is the fact that I like to ride thru an older section of town with huge turn of the last century houses. They are fantastic with their architecture.
Old 11-09-20, 11:11 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I shall be 80 in about one month and still ride 60-75 miles per week, mostly on our tandem, which is now equipped with a Cytronex e-assist (max assist speed 20 mph).
As our riding group has become larger, the average age has decreased, so we are riding (before COVID) with people 10-15 years younger and we can not maintain their cruising speeds of as high as 17-19 mph without assistance.
Riding solo, I find it takes a good 10 miles for my asthmatic/COPD lungs to warm up, then I feel pretty good, but I have just ordered another Cytronex for a solo bike, so I don't have to gasp for air so much and can keep up with our very, very small COVID-aware group.
If we ride alone, which is rare, we can easily manage 13.5 mph without e-assist.
Disclaimer: I'm not promoting Cytronex and have no connection with them, apart from being a customer
Old 01-14-21, 03:37 PM
rydabent
Banned

I guess the big thing is some of us are blessed with good health in our old age, which is a good thing. But OTOH I truly believe that the fact that we have continued to ride has added to our old age health. Good health in the first place, and then continuing to ride are an unbeatable combination.

My aim is to keep riding, and my goal is to live to be at least 102. I hope they find me at that age or more pulled off to the side of the trail on my trike, cooling out and with a smile on my face.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-16-21 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-15-21, 06:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
FWIW...I turn 75 in June and ride a CAAD 12 (among others). I am generally 5'9" and ride a 54 frame. I've also had C1 & C2 fusion which has left me with limited ROM left and right but not up or down. I also have a 3 cm drop from seat to bars. Not sure if that's considered a lot. But, to my point....I have no problem seeing up the road and am quite comfortable. My LBS owner (he's in his early 40's) commented that the bar drop was "aggressive." Is it really? Or, was that meant to be aggressive for an old guy.
Old 01-15-21, 10:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Isn't it amazing how people that ride normal bikes are able to get anywhere at all?

It seems that they are also able to enjoys themselves because they can see where they are riding.
But to see as much as I do, if in fact they can, causes them to uncomfortably crane their neck up. And yes I know that is true, because I rode DF bikes for 50 years.
Old 01-15-21, 10:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
such a beautiful neck - craned and all seeing, even in full flight

I'm only 70, but (for me) trimming my bushy eyebrows allows me to see ahead without craning my neck. Besides, i'm used to looking over my readers for distance vision.

To be thread relevant = not sure this position will still be manageable in 10years. But I will try my best to ride what is in the barn until the cows come home.

...and no, i don't ride in this position all day long. But like various hand positions, a variety of body positions gives me flexibility on the bike - and thereby increased comfort.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-15-21 at 04:06 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-16-21, 09:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
While it may have been a struggle for you to see where you were going on a normal bike, thankfully the vast, vast, vast majority of folks don't suffer from that limitation.
I wouldnt bet on that. I have been run off the trail at least 3 times by DF riders staring down at their front wheel, and not watching where they were going.
Old 01-16-21, 05:30 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
It's great to hear about people who ride bikes regularly who are over 80. It gives us younger folks some hope that we might be sill pedaling for years to come.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 01-16-21, 06:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I am 70, and I have been a somewhat serious transportation and exercise road cyclist since my high school days. My primary concessions to age are wider tires and somewhat lower gearing.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-16-21, 07:29 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have asthma and RA and had colon cancer, but just wanted something to do. I really didn’t get into cycling to get in shape. I try and ride 3 days a week and I’m not fast. Usually 25 To 30 miles a ride a week. Sometimes more and sometimes less, don’t care as long as get out and get a nice ride in. It’s hard to find anybody to ride with, but I don’t mind.
Old 01-17-21, 03:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But to see as much as I do, if in fact they can, causes them to uncomfortably crane their neck up. And yes I know that is true, because I rode DF bikes for 50 years.
I ride DF bikes exclusively, they all have some drop from the saddle to the handlebar, and my neck never hurts even after a 100+ mile ride. And I see everything around me while riding.

You really need to get over these fantasies of yours.
Old 01-17-21, 04:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
I ride DF bikes exclusively, they all have some drop from the saddle to the handlebar, and my neck never hurts even after a 100+ mile ride. And I see everything around me while riding.

You really need to get over these fantasies of yours.
Sorry not fantasies, reality. Remember I rode DF bikes for 55 years or more, so I have a great deal of experience with them.
Old 01-17-21, 05:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Sorry not fantasies, reality. Remember I rode DF bikes for 55 years or more, so I have a great deal of experience with them.
Then perhaps you should accept that your experience is not universal. Most of us are perfectly happy with our DF bikes, and do not have sore necks or any of these other problems that you keep blathering on about.