Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Face Mask Recommendation Needed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Face Mask Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 03:19 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I'll never wear a mask while riding, balaclava during cold weather to cover my head and neck but not mouth. You're in public for crying outloud!!!
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 11-12-20, 04:43 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Face mask for me only when stopped and next to other people.
After 6 weeks of solo riding during the initial 'stay at home order', I'm back to cycling as usual, including pacelining.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-13-20, 01:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Never wear a mask while riding because I stay away from people. If I need to pass another rider, when safe I move to the left well in advance and stay left until I am well past them. I carry a procedure mask in my back pocket ‘just in case’ when off the bike. I stopped pacelining in March and if I ride with a friend we ride side by side when safe or keep 50’ separation. Am getting pretty good at holding my breath if I do need to get right behind someone to pass.

Old 11-13-20, 09:12 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Hi.
While riding my bike outside in the open I am still concerned enough about disease transmission that I want to wear a mask.
But I want to use a cheap one...
Old 11-13-20, 10:59 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been using a Buff, cut off somewhat shorter.

You can pull it up with one hand as needed, deals with helmet straps etc. OK, cannot fall off, easy to wash, & seems moderately effective.
Old 11-14-20, 06:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
No endorsement implied.

https://mycovidrisk.app
Old 11-14-20, 09:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
You know, you could just keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose. That'll keep you from spreading droplets all over. If you're working hard enough to require breathing through your mouth, then a mask isn't going to work anyway. Bring a mask around your neck and pull it up in case you need to stop and talk to someone (= open your mouth).
Not necessarily.

In video studies of aerosol and droplet spray patterns, there is somewhat less spread from nasal exhalation in normal breathing, compared with talking and mouth breathing -- while sitting still. I haven't seen any video demonstrations under exertion.

Studies show a significantly higher risk of virus shedding through nasal passages compared with the oral cavity.

A single sneeze or snot rocket could produce far great risk of transmission than mouth breathing or talking.

And there are significant differences in nasal shapes, grooming, etc., that make generalizations difficult. It's generally considered better for our health to not trim nose hairs but many folks do so for appearance' sake. A beaklike schnozz with the nasal orifices pointing downward might produce less risk than a pug nose with forward facing nasal openings. That's all conjecture. I'm not sure anyone has done a methodical study. But you can bet someone will now.

There's also some borderline woo theories about nose breathing vs mouth breathing that's supposedly healthier and more efficient at producing nitric oxide that *might* suppress some viral spread. I wouldn't count on any of that without a peer reviewed study.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-15-20, 08:06 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I Paceline 3 times a weeks for a total of 6 or 7 hours. We all wear masks when going indoors. But not outside.

I do acknowledge there is a risk. Significantly reduced compared to close proximity for extended periods of time indoors, but still there. For those concerned about catching the virus from others in a Paceline, a N95 mask would be a good option.

Likes For BCAC:
Old 11-17-20, 10:54 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by reishi
I was wearing masks before masks were cool. The n95 design holds most of the mask material away from the face so there's a nice large and warm air bubble to breath from . Wouldn't ride in the winter without one last year. Could be my unusually sensitive lungs so it really helps warming the air first and reducing the searing bite of inhaling the cold winter air. Get some curious questions from group riders but sometimes function has to beat form..
There's absolutely no chance I'd wear an actual n95 while exercising. That sounds absolutely miserable.

Same to the guy above talking about wearing one in a paceline. Guessing most folks here saying to just wear an n95 haven't done anything strenuous in one.
Old 11-18-20, 12:54 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I wear an N95 when riding. Don't notice it at all, don't understand the fuss. Keeps my face nice and warm now that it's cold out. Often forget to take it off when I get home. Lots of studies show no loss of oxygen with a mask, including one of a doctor who went running with six and an odometer.

Uncomfortably warm in the summer? Yeah, that's true, but it's November now.
Old 11-19-20, 06:06 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
I wear an N95 when riding. Don't notice it at all, don't understand the fuss. Keeps my face nice and warm now that it's cold out. Often forget to take it off when I get home. Lots of studies show no loss of oxygen with a mask, including one of a doctor who went running with six and an odometer.

Uncomfortably warm in the summer? Yeah, that's true, but it's November now.
Where did you buy it? I have not been able to get an N95 mask.
Old 11-19-20, 06:41 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Whoops, sorry, my error. KN95.