Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New want-to-be cyclist at 69

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New want-to-be cyclist at 69

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 09:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
And btw, if that doesn't work out for you, there's really nothing wrong about getting a trike. A bunch of people around here (the virtual "here") ride them. Either way, a bike or trike ride is good exercise and good for the mental health.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-01-20, 11:57 PM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
To help with the balance issue, keep your head and eyes up and level with the horizon line. When turning, point with your chin and eyes thru the turn. You will go where you are looking. Head and eyes up and level means you will be up and level. Never out-ride your ability or comfort level.
Likes For justslow:
Old 11-02-20, 05:24 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Boy, this is a refreshing thread to read! Hats off to the OP for taking the initiative to take the steps necessary to get her body and mind back in shape. Riding a bike CAN be the answer! While I've never been a fan of the "step thru" or even the "mixte" frames, if it's what gets the OP on a bike and riding, then I say "go for it". If I were Canadian (sad to say I'm not), I'd definitely be proud that the DCO bikes were made in Canada (with some Asian components, of course)! With Winter fast approaching and believing that Ontario definitely "experiences" Winter, I'd definitely go along with the OP getting an inexpensive "trainer" so that she could build up some time on the saddle before Spring rolls around. That won't help much with balance but will help with building some leg and core strength. Weight loss may be a welcome side benefit. Magnetic resistance trainers are relatively inexpensive and don't take up too much space.
i thinking that the $250 Canadian is definitely a decent price for that bike. If after developing a level of comfort and skill and wanting to "upgrade", the OP could easily sell for her purchase price and get something befitting her new comfort and skill level.
Likes For sovende:
Old 11-02-20, 05:35 PM
marguette

Bikes: DCO - City Class - 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Trainer option

Sovende, thank you for your kind comments. Today was spent researching a few things. Got a nice little air pump for next to nothing, got info on using a trainer, and the big one, was given a magturbo seven gear trainner. Tomorrow, I will purchase a quick release training skewer and a multi-piece tool kit. The gods are on my side. Btw.. snow flurries today in Ottawa. Winter is just around the corner.
Originally Posted by sovende
Boy, this is a refreshing thread to read! Hats off to the OP for taking the initiative to take the steps necessary to get her body and mind back in shape. Riding a bike CAN be the answer! While I've never been a fan of the "step thru" or even the "mixte" frames, if it's what gets the OP on a bike and riding, then I say "go for it". If I were Canadian (sad to say I'm not), I'd definitely be proud that the DCO bikes were made in Canada (with some Asian components, of course)! With Winter fast approaching and believing that Ontario definitely "experiences" Winter, I'd definitely go along with the OP getting an inexpensive "trainer" so that she could build up some time on the saddle before Spring rolls around. That won't help much with balance but will help with building some leg and core strength. Weight loss may be a welcome side benefit. Magnetic resistance trainers are relatively inexpensive and don't take up too much space.
Originally Posted by sovende
i thinking that the $250 Canadian is definitely a decent price for that bike. If after developing a level of comfort and skill and wanting to "upgrade", the OP could easily sell for her purchase price and get something befitting her new comfort and skill level.
ornyour k8nd comment
Old 11-03-20, 11:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It's never too late to be young again. I began cycling at about age 71 or so. Gradually built up to more mileage and was surprised to be putting on muscle and enjoying a whole new activity.
Likes For berner:
Old 11-05-20, 12:28 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I'd stay away from 6 flights of stairs until you are stronger. Maybe go back to the exercises you must have done post knee surgery? Walk. Walk fast. Google "dead bugs". Cool bike BTW. I got my dad a step through after he broke his hip. I rode it on some single track when I visited last.
Old 11-05-20, 12:35 PM
marguette

stairs use

Hi Classtime
thanks fornyour comment. More like down stairs slowly, up two flights, across the building, and repeat, eventually three flights,etc. I need to build more flesibility and endurance. Trainer will be set up by next week. Slow and steady!

Originally Posted by Classtime
I'd stay away from 6 flights of stairs until you are stronger. Maybe go back to the exercises you must have done post knee surgery? Walk. Walk fast. Google "dead bugs". Cool bike BTW. I got my dad a step through after he broke his hip. I rode it on some single track when I visited last.
Six
Old 11-05-20, 02:00 PM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Another bike to try are the feet forward or crank forward design bikes like the Electra Townie and Day 6 bicycles. The crank is located inches ahead of the seat tube. Allows you to put the foot down without getting off the saddle. I see used Electra Townies on craigslist for about $250.

Electra before it was purchased by Trek had about the 3% of the US market. I think they had a good hold of the senior bike riders.

Take it slow and wish you can ride confidently again !
Likes For JGaerlan:
Old 11-05-20, 02:32 PM
marguette

Trike

No, nothing wrong with thetrike except lack of storage space. Already considered. I live in an apartment block. Forward pedal would be a better option but really hoping this one will work out. Just need to adjust the seat.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
And btw, if that doesn't work out for you, there's really nothing wrong about getting a trike. A bunch of people around here (the virtual "here") ride them. Either way, a bike or trike ride is good exercise and good for the mental health.
trike
Old 11-05-20, 10:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy the journey.

Starting off on a mag trainer is a good way to go. Get your endurance, and knee, built up a little. Learn shifting and just getting comfortable with the bike without having to think about balance. By the time you get out for a ride it will be a lot easier.

John
Old 11-09-20, 11:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by marguette
HI
i'm new and this is my first post. Finally found a bike that I think I can ride and hope to buy it tomorrow. Of all the bikes that Ive tried, it seems to be the best fit without going to a tricycle. It feels and looks alot like a Schwinn. Looking at a DCO-City Class - 2020 in new condition. Can anyone comment on the specs? Wondering if I'm delusional to think that I can ride a bike again. Cheers, Marguette
If you bought that bike and you are riding it, you are a cyclist. Dont let anyone tell you other wise.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-09-20, 11:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by marguette
HI
i'm new and this is my first post. Finally found a bike that I think I can ride and hope to buy it tomorrow. Of all the bikes that Ive tried, it seems to be the best fit without going to a tricycle. It feels and looks alot like a Schwinn. Looking at a DCO-City Class - 2020 in new condition. Can anyone comment on the specs? Wondering if I'm delusional to think that I can ride a bike again. Cheers, Marguette
Bought This when I was 70.y/o

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-09-20, 12:00 PM
marguette

Happy Cyclist

Bought the bike! Have been out on it twice for brief but enjoyable rides. I was also given an indoor trainer for the winter. Hope to do much more riding in the spring. Cheers!

Originally Posted by rydabent
If you bought that bike and you are riding it, you are a cyclist. Dont let anyone tell you other wise.
Old 11-09-20, 12:02 PM
marguette

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Bought This when I was 70.y/o
AWESOM! You look like a true professional cyclist.
Likes For marguette:
Old 11-09-20, 12:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I did get Paid to ride this: 67 y/o

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-09-20, 02:09 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
....just wanted to chime in to wish you a safe ride!
If it hasn't already been mentioned.....wear a helmet and PPE (eg. gloves, glasses, etc.)
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-14-20, 09:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
One thing that makes me sad is when people start "retreating from life" as they get older. I.e., they stop doing the things they want to do or love to do out of fear that something might go wrong. This is a downward spiral since the more one "stops doing stuff", the weaker and less able one becomes to do anything. So ride a bike until you physically can't! Enjoy the ride!
I could not agree more. Put simply, if you set you rust.
Old 11-16-20, 05:04 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I had knee replacement too

And a bunch of other ortho issues. I used to put a lot of miles on a road bike but I can't really ride like that anymore and I gave it up a decade or so ago. I got a comfort/hybrid but never got into riding it. I continued with my ortho problems and became out of shape. But my physical therapist inspired me and I got back into decent shape again, I changed my diet and walked more. The diet change seemed to eliminate the inflammation in my back and feet so I could walk again! I started going on longer hikes, I've hiked 10 miles straight.

During a recent vacation friends rented beach cruisers. I was surprised at how hard it was to ride, my knees didn't want to bend. My walking was good exercise but very limited range of movement.

I got home and dusted off my comfort bike and have been riding it every day. I don't ride fast or far as I don't want to aggravate my knees and stuff but I can still feel that my quads are getting a little workout.

Plus it's variety and enjoyable. I do neighborhood rides. I've gone a little over 10 miles at most which is fine for my purpose. I don't mind not going fast, I've had a lot of injuries from past wrecks, I don't want more.

I think I actually get more "exercise" walking and hiking but I am getting a benefit from riding. Diet is the most important thing, it takes a lot of riding to burn calories, I think most people overestimate their activities.

Since covid started I've seen a lot more casual riders while walking my dogs. They've been sticking with it, some of them are pretty old. I'm glad to be one of them. Anything beats sitting around, you can increase your miles as you are able. Sounds like you got a bike that will suit you.
Likes For margoC:
Old 11-17-20, 06:41 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
One thing that makes me sad is when people start "retreating from life" as they get older. I.e., they stop doing the things they want to do or love to do out of fear that something might go wrong. This is a downward spiral since the more one "stops doing stuff", the weaker and less able one becomes to do anything. So ride a bike until you physically can't! Enjoy the ride!
Excellent point.

I live in a very nice 55+ gated community with around 135 homes. Even pre COVID, more than half of the folks here never seemed to leave their homes. And most of the rest don’t seem to do much. It’s not a financial issue. They just seem to have retreated. I can’t imagine this is how they were planning on spending their golden years.

Do stuff.

Good on the OP!
Old 11-19-20, 09:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

I did get Paid to ride this: 67 y/o
Did you happen to log that ride on the "Crazy guy on a bike" forum? Looks like it would be a good read.
Old 11-19-20, 12:10 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by rydabent
Did you happen to log that ride on the "Crazy guy on a bike" forum? Looks like it would be a good read.
Take a look
https://app.photobucket.com/u/10whee...mode=slideshow

Old 11-19-20, 07:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Great pictures.