Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

One pinned tube on cheap production bike

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 05:49 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Cut up a Schwinn World Sport circa 1987. Found that the top tube/seat lug junction is pinned. No other tube junction on the frame is pinned. In a production setting is there a reason to pin one tube on the frame, and no others?
Old 11-20-20, 08:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
It depends on their processes. But I'm not sure why they wouldn't pin at the front too. The joint I had trouble with occasionally with the fixtures at Trek was the seat tube/bb. Seat tube would slip.
Old 11-20-20, 10:11 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I would guess that they pinned the seat tube junction( both lug and seatstays ) to be able to braze the joint once.
Old 11-20-20, 12:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

that would make sense, but he said seat lug top tube, which doesn't include the stays. We need pics
Old 11-20-20, 01:56 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I guess didn't explain well, it was in the pre-coffee haze of the morning. I can see using pins to hold the top tube/seat tube while the seat stays are getting prepped, then brazing at one time.
Old 11-20-20, 05:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

what is your process of assembling that part of the frame. I do seat stays last thing, because before that you can still align things. Put the seat stays on, and nothing moves without everything moving.
Old 11-20-20, 05:29 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

My process is the same as yours, seat stays are the last major assembly completed for the same reasons. But this is a production frame and I assumed that production processes are different than what I do in my garage.
Old 11-22-20, 01:44 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Must have been done to simplify the production process as noted in above posts. I have built jigs for production of widgets, but never frames, and I have designed production processes and physical layouts to produce widgets, but never frames. Building one-offs is one thing, and quite simple, but to do one after another is a different game. I'd like to tour a production facility some day, just have to get to China to do it!
Old 11-30-20, 03:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Must have been done to simplify the production process as noted in above posts. I have built jigs for production of widgets, but never frames, and I have designed production processes and physical layouts to produce widgets, but never frames. Building one-offs is one thing, and quite simple, but to do one after another is a different game. I'd like to tour a production facility some day, just have to get to China to do it!
here is old video on production