Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for an upgrade. Help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 01:01 PM
John9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to upgrade my Specialized Allez in the coming months. I'm a fairly casual rider (25-35 mile routes 2-3 times per week), and ride about 1500 miles a summer. I've been looking at the following:
  • Specialized Tarmac SL6 Sport
  • Trek Emonda SL5
  • BMC Team Machine SLR Four
Most of these are pretty similar and have small differences. Curious if anyone has any experience on them, or if there may be better options that are similar and that I'm not thinking of. Trying to keep the price tag below $3,000. Thanks!
Old 11-23-20, 02:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The three bikes are very similar and I'd be happy with any. I have a 2020 Tarmac Disc Comp and it has the lower stack of any bike I've ever owned. Not an issue for me, I like being able to get low.

Your Allez has a stack somewhere around 30 mm more than those bikes. So if you haven't been wanting to get lower on the Allez you might consider if you'll want to be low on those bikes. My Tarmac came with 30 mm of spacers under the stem new, so that would put it about what your Allez is without spacers under the stem. And 30 mm of spacers doesn't look odd. But if you ever want to get lower you'll have that option in the future.

This is only considering one aspect of fit though. So if you can try them, then do so. Reach to the bars and stuff visually looked about the same. I didn't specifically look at the geometry specs for reach.
Old 11-24-20, 09:27 AM
John9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, appreciate the insight, thank you!
Old 11-24-20, 09:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
What's wrong with the Allez that makes you want to upgrade?

The Allez is a great bike, and more than capable of the miles you are riding. It would be easier to help you decide if we understood what you were looking for?
Old 11-25-20, 12:49 PM
John9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Allez is just starting to get worn out honestly. I've had it for about 5 summers now, and it seems like I'm just putting too much into it for what it's worth. It only has Shimano Claris components, and I'd like to move up to 105 to get a few more speeds and much smoother shifting.

This winter the Allez will need a new chain, cassette, tires, and a decent tuneup (I'm no mechanic, so this work will all be done at a local shop). Personally, I just struggle to see the point in investing this much money into the bike when I could hardly sell it for much more than all of that work will cost combined.
Old 11-25-20, 01:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Seems to me that you have three good options. I'd also look into a CAAD 13. I have a CAAD 12 and it is an amazing bang for the buck. I think you can get one with nice components for under $2500. I paid $1350 for mine with 105.