Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 10:51 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Are you racing Cat3, though? That was the context in which I was describing him. Being 20 years older than the average rider in the field makes one an elderly racer.

And you and he are both younger than me...
Anyone older than me is elderly.

And, I am still young, just ask me, a couple hours after getting up in the morning though...
Old 12-23-15, 11:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ Ah, gotcha. No, not racing Cat3. I can see how a rider in his mid-50s in that group might be viewed as a relic to be dispatched or simply an oddity. PG
Old 12-23-15, 11:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I dont feel like I'm 58 but I do feel that MTB ride from yesterday.
Old 12-23-15, 01:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
[QUOTE=HBCruiser1;18408526] My crappy bike is much better today than a high end bike was years ago, .../QUOTE]

A common myth, typically shared by folks that have only a few years of bicycling experience, or never rode a quality bike from the past.

edit: my comment relative to road bicycles, mtn bikes have evolved hugely for their off-road purposes with suspension systems, disc brakes, and specialization (downhill, cross-country, trials, etc).

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-23-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 02:05 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
Also ... Where you are is going to be a factor. My town is kinda "Tale of Two Cities" - pretty wealthy suburb upper middle class with all the bells and whistles - local mall has Nieman Marcus, SFA, Nordtrom etc, upscale designer boutiques in the downtown shopping district, lot of Mercedes and similar cars in the driveways, 3000 square foot and up homes for anything built in the last 40 years ... County seat a few miles down the road is pretty inner city poverty ... Big rust belt city 20 miles away that is the hub of the region is notorious as a symbol of urban decay and poverty ... But it's at least coming back in the downtown.

It's pretty easy to get caught up in a habit when the dealers are everywhere. In the urban center it's drugs ... In my town bike addiction is just as easily fed ... 3 LBS's, a Performance store, a regional chain store, a couple of ski/snowboard shops that try to fill in the summer sales with a decent selection of bikes, REI, and you can always get a tube or CO2 cylinders etc 24/7 at a couple of big box stores if desperate. Two bike clubs through two of the shops ... my gym has a bike club ... A really nice local and regional path and trail system of MUPs. So it's an easy addiction to feed.
This sounds a lot like the Scottsdale/PHX area
Old 12-23-15, 02:09 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ Ah, gotcha. No, not racing Cat3. I can see how a rider in his mid-50s in that group might be viewed as a relic to be dispatched or simply an oddity. PG
The interesting thing (maybe the reassuring thing, for us old farts) is that it's usually much easier to be competitive in a non age-related Cat 3/4 pack than with the Masters/Veterans 54-59 age group. There are some ferociously fit old guys out there and they have 35-40 years experience in how to race, often gained in much higher categories.

And with regard to the subject of this thread, very very few of them are racing vintage equipment.
Old 12-23-15, 02:12 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
[QUOTE=Wildwood;18410605]
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
My crappy bike is much better today than a high end bike was years ago, .../QUOTE]

A common myth, typically shared by folks that have only a few years of bicycling experience, or never rode a quality bike from the past.
True!

Old 12-23-15, 02:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The interesting thing (maybe the reassuring thing, for us old farts) is that it's usually much easier to be competitive in a non age-related Cat 3/4 pack than with the Masters/Veterans 54-59 age group. There are some ferociously fit old guys out there and they have 35-40 years experience in how to race, often gained in much higher categories.

And with regard to the subject of this thread, very very few of them are racing vintage equipment.
There was a relatively wide range of bikes (cost)here. It did not seem to slow them down.
Old 12-23-15, 02:21 PM
Kindaslow

[QUOTE=Wildwood;18410605]
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
My crappy bike is much better today than a high end bike was years ago, .../QUOTE]

edit: my comment relative to road bicycles, mtn bikes have evolved hugely for their off-road purposes with suspension systems, disc brakes, and specialization (downhill, cross-country, trials, etc).
For discussion, not argument, how do we know this as fact. For example, take a CF road bike from a reputable maker, built with 105 groupset. Put that against an elite race bike from the 70's or early 80's, why would one outperform the other? Put a racer on both, on a set course, and let them try to set fast laps with both. Which would be faster? Put an average guy on both and do they same? Put a non-enthusiast on both, which would they like better and why?
Likes For Kindaslow:
Old 12-23-15, 02:25 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Kindaslow;18410658]
Originally Posted by Wildwood

For discussion, not argument, how do we know this as fact. For example, take a CF road bike from a reputable maker, built with 105 groupset. Put that against an elite race bike from the 70's or early 80's, why would one outperform the other? Put a racer on both, on a set course, and let them try to set fast laps with both. Which would be faster? Put an average guy on both and do they same? Put a non-enthusiast on both, which would they like better and why?
Keeping the theme of discussion, I'm not sure I'd think of a 105 equipped carbon bike as a "crappy bike". I'm thinking the poster meant something like a Claris/Sora equipped aluminum bike is comparable to the high end bikes of yester-year; which I'm not sure passes muster. In your example though, that's probably true. A mid-range bike of today performs as well or better than a high-end bike of yesteryear. But a low-end bike is probably always going to be a low end bike.
Old 12-23-15, 02:31 PM
Kindaslow

[QUOTE=RomansFiveEight;18410671]
Originally Posted by Kindaslow

Keeping the theme of discussion, I'm not sure I'd think of a 105 equipped carbon bike as a "crappy bike". I'm thinking the poster meant something like a Claris/Sora equipped aluminum bike is comparable to the high end bikes of yester-year; which I'm not sure passes muster. In your example though, that's probably true. A mid-range bike of today performs as well or better than a high-end bike of yesteryear. But a low-end bike is probably always going to be a low end bike.
I did not re-read the post that started this thought. So, I picked a build that would be a nice bike, but well under the level a lot of people would think of as a race or elite bike. The 105 groupset is a very functional and good groupset, but bikes built at this level are in the middle somewhere in today's hierarchy. So, I agree with you that this build level would outperform elite bikes of the past.

please note, I am not saying good, bad or other about bikes in this range. I certainly do not want to take time arguing 105 versus Ultegra versus Dura Ace....

Last edited by Kindaslow; 12-23-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 02:40 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I have two bikes that were considered fairly "expensive" when new, 41 and 38 years ago.
Both have been in continuous service since, originally as race bikes and are still ridden every week.
Lesser machines would not have been as nice to ride for the last many thousands of miles and decades since, far less durable and certainly not as aesthetic.

A good quality bike, properly fitted and maintained can have an extremely long service life.
Chosen carefully "expensive" bikes amortized over time is $$$$ very well/wisely spent.

-Bandera
Old 12-23-15, 02:41 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
There was a relatively wide range of bikes (cost)here. It did not seem to slow them down.
No, it wouldn't. A couple of thousand extra dollars buys you only very marginal gains.

With regard to @Wildwood's contention about the quality of top-end bikes from the past, I have some sympathy for his view. A really good 80s roadbike is still a really great bike. But there's no point in pretending that the innovations of the last thirty years haven't produced competitive advantages. I'd be significantly quicker (not miles per hour quicker, but definitely enough to make a competitive difference) on modern equipment than on vintage. A lot of that is in the groupsets. Were you able to cram 11-speed Di2 (or even the mechanical version with brifters) onto a top 80s frame the difference would be substantially eroded. Carbon forks help, too. A lot of the weight difference is in the steel fork crown.
Old 12-23-15, 02:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

The person who made the statement = 'today's crap bikes are better than high end bikes of a few years ago',
lists their bike as a beach cruiser.

I stated this before - it's from your personal perspective - some people think that a bike that goes from A to B without a problem is a quality bike. That's the way I feel about cars - any car that gets me from A to B without a problem is a quality car. From that perspective my 15 yo Saturn with 200K+ mi is as high quality as any car on the road. And I don't want any auto elitist proving their Corvette or BMW or Tesla is any better.
Old 12-23-15, 03:00 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The person who made the statement = 'today's crap bikes are better than high end bikes of a few years ago',
lists their bike as a beach cruiser.

I stated this before - it's from your personal perspective - some people think that a bike that goes from A to B without a problem is a quality bike. That's the way I feel about cars - any car that gets me from A to B without a problem is a quality car. From that perspective my 15 yo Saturn with 200K+ mi is as high quality as any car on the road. And I don't want any auto elitist proving their Corvette or BMW or Tesla is any better.
LOL. I'm largely with you. In general, my attitude to cars is similar to my attitude to bikes in that I'll pay enough to get a decent standard but not for what I regard as overpriced luxuries. However, my smug rationality doesn't bear very close examination. There's only one car in my garage, but there are five bikes...
Old 12-23-15, 03:10 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have very little concern what my collection cost. I usually spend a little more than thier resale price, but the results are a personalized ride that nobody else has. It's my way of escaping the rat-race. Some examples;

Started with this and the matching fork;

This 1972 Paramount got new rims, tires and chainrings;

Started with this 1972 PX10 frameset that came with the stem, handlebar, levers and brakes. Had it repainted and then slowly built it up with new just-about-everything.

This complete but neglected Grand Record was totally torn-down and rebuilt with a 700c wheelset from the inventory.

Something for the daughter. 2x5 converted to 3x7. 27 inch converted to 700c. Drop bars converted to trekking bars. Centerpulls converted to long-reach sidepulls. Stem shifters to MTB integrated shifters...

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-23-15 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 12-23-15, 03:10 PM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just finished building the bike of my dreams. It is a bike that I've thought about many times over the years, and now that I'm in spitting distance of 60, I decided the hell with it, and built it. I found a stock frame that was exactly what I wanted, and built it using components that I chose individually for function and aesthetics. It's not the most expensive bike I've ever bought, but if I hadn't done the work myself, it would have been, even paying retail (I found some massively good deals).

It may well be the last bike I buy, which is fine. I have a stable of 6, for every riding need I might have. So I'm perfectly ok with splurging. Haters can hate on me all they want; like I said, I'm pretty close to IDGAF territory.
Old 12-23-15, 03:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I'd be significantly quicker (not miles per hour quicker, but definitely enough to make a competitive difference) on modern equipment than on vintage.
I wasn't talking about racing, but as others are, I pose the question - why hasn't the average speed of pro racers increased more with all the advances in technology?

There was an article in Bicycling magazine (I think) comparing a modern race bike with an older race bike. I can't find it, nor the subsequent thread in C&V. That might be as definitive as we can hope for.

And for the record I wouldn't call a 105 equipped, mid-range bike "crap".
Old 12-23-15, 03:23 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wasn't talking about racing, but as others are, I pose the question - why hasn't the average speed of pro racers increased more with all the advances in technology?

How much of an increase would you expect? In a racing context, a difference of one mile per hour is absolutely huge.
Old 12-23-15, 03:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
........I too like to think I am my own man, and all that stuff. But those who think they are not influenced by fashion and societal norms are almost certainly mistaken...........
Fashion, societal norms, commercials, advertisements.... have had no part in my decision making since high school. Logic and wallet rules. My grocery grabber is a 2002 Target Magna with 10,000+ miles on it and cost a whopping $100.00!
Old 12-23-15, 03:32 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Fashion, societal norms, commercials, advertisements.... have had no part in my decision making since high school. Logic and wallet rules.
Almost everyone believes that about themselves. Every time it's tested, we find that almost everyone is wrong.
Old 12-23-15, 03:43 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Ajenkins
I just finished building the bike of my dreams. It is a bike that I've thought about many times over the years, and now that I'm in spitting distance of 60, I decided the hell with it, and built it. I found a stock frame that was exactly what I wanted, and built it using components that I chose individually for function and aesthetics. It's not the most expensive bike I've ever bought, but if I hadn't done the work myself, it would have been, even paying retail (I found some massively good deals).

It may well be the last bike I buy, which is fine. I have a stable of 6, for every riding need I might have. So I'm perfectly ok with splurging. Haters can hate on me all they want; like I said, I'm pretty close to IDGAF territory.
I must be an overachiever, I found IDGAF at an earlier age.

On topic, I just built my SS MTB. I could have spent more, but some decisions did not make sense for me. For example, CF rims would have only saved me a tiny bit of weight, but would have cost about 4 times as much. I think bikes like this are awesome, and some current high end bikes would do nothing for me. But, someone else might choke on how much this bike cost me.
Old 12-23-15, 03:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
After reading through a lot of the pages here as it has meandered along different paths, in my opinion I think the answer is pretty simple.

People "generally" root for the underdog and it is probably human nature for those without the means to criticize those with the means. And, at least "secretly," hope the rich guy bonks, or is left at the side of the road with his $200K sports car. There are thousands of movies that follow the same theme. There will always be the cutters overcoming economic and social obstacles against the well-to-do college kids, and people line up to watch a new rendition of that theme year after year. In this world, it has always been us against them, so why would it be any different here.

And... there are more people who cannot afford an expensive bike than those who can, so it doesn't take much to move the discussion in a critical direction. There will always be someone out there who wants show the hotshot that it takes more than a checkbook to be king of the mountain. And those that have the means will probably never be able to convince the other side of the effort and hard work it takes to be able to afford the more expensive stuff... and the threads continue to roll along.

John
Old 12-23-15, 04:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Almost everyone believes that about themselves. Every time it's tested, we find that almost everyone is wrong.
Family and friends will back me up and especially the guys I ride with.
Old 12-23-15, 04:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

How much of an increase would you expect? In a racing context, a difference of one mile per hour is absolutely huge.
Totally agree with you. If I were racing competitively in any category, I would not be riding a friction shifting, 20-ish pound bike.
But we have swerved from 'crap bikes of today are better than a few years ago'.
And I stick by my assertion that 'where you're coming from' is the only answer.

Back to expensive $$$ bikes - I say, ride what you like and keep the rubber side down. But keep a thick skin for the comments of others. It's a brutal internet at times, not so in person or on a group ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.