Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Univega Viva Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 03:13 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount... someday

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Univega Viva Sport

I put my Trek 560 up here (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...t-s-worth.html) and now I'm having second thoughts about selling it. The Gurus on here suggested I sell my Univega instead, so here it is. I haven't even had a chance to clean it or make any adjustments yet! lol.

I bought it because it fits me perfectly (my trek is just a tad small, but still comfortable). I also love the paint scheme, gold lined lugs, and Suntour components.

I do have a few questions about it and putting it on the market. First, it seems odd to me that Univega would put mid-level components on a hi-ten steel frame. Like the all alloy derailleur and down tube shifters. Would this be considered an entry level or mid level bike?

Secondly, what are those weird things on the other side of the brakes. They ride along the tires and make a high pitched whining noise when riding. Is this so people can hear you coming? Because I find the sound obnoxious lol.

Finally, it definitely needs new bearing grease and other consumables, but the tires seem to be in good shape. Would you keep them, or are new tire a strong selling point?

I bought it for 50 bucks and thought it would make the perfect commuter/light tourer. I think here in Rochester, ready to ride, it would fetch 100-150.

Pics to come.. Thanks!
Old 08-15-16, 04:15 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
pics aren't showing
Old 08-15-16, 05:06 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aw darn, I'll have to try again when I get home from work.
Old 08-15-16, 07:11 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2nd try

Old 08-15-16, 07:13 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Univega was cheap entry level bike when it was new. About $200 if I remember right.

The Trek was a mid-level bike when it was new and cost substantially more than the Univega ever did.

How could you ever seriously compare them?
Old 08-15-16, 07:14 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 08-15-16, 07:38 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoadGuy
The Univega was cheap entry level bike when it was new. About $200 if I remember right.

The Trek was a mid-level bike when it was new and cost substantially more than the Univega ever did.

How could you ever seriously compare them?
You're right. They can't be compared. The Trek blows the Uni out of the water. But the Uni is a pretty nice looking and riding bike. I bought it for suburban commuting and the occasional canal path ride, which is more my riding style nowadays.

I payed $50 for it at a garage sale, and I think tuned up with it's cool retro paint job it might bring $150.
Old 08-16-16, 05:03 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
What other consumables does it need? Bar tape and red cable housing look fresh, albeit not well routed at the bars. If it shifts and rides okay, I'd leave cables and chain alone. Maybe new brake pads but honestly, I'd hit those with some sandpaper and reinstall if I'm flipping.

Those are flint catchers attached to the brake bolts. Designed to keep debris off the tire. Just a novelty nowadays. Leave them on and let the buyer decide if he wants them.

Clean up the dirt and light surface rust and I agree with your estimate. I'd list at $140 and take any offer over $100.
Old 08-16-16, 05:56 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would agree with the 150ish estimates...good looking bike...and...btw...those are "Tire Savers" not "flint catchers"...they are used more often on tubular tires...
Old 08-16-16, 10:08 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Anybody know why so many of the tire savers we see on the front are not installed correctly and what happens when this goes wrong?
Old 08-16-16, 10:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Those are my favorite clamped on downtube shifters ever. This is a very clean used bike and $150 is very reasonable for this bike.
Old 08-16-16, 11:00 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I like Univegas. Their entry level stuff was well made & very durable. Good value. Whenever I see a bike with turkey levers I automatically think it needs to be converted to upright N. Road style handlebars. You could probably get $150 for that.
Old 08-16-16, 01:29 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the advice! When I saw it at a yard sale I though it was under priced, so I took a chance. It was still being used as a commuter by the hippy/nerd dude I bought it from, so it was being ridden and cared for. I was going to ride it, but if I can sell it for a profit, I could justify keeping my Trek.

Originally Posted by plonz
What other consumables does it need? Bar tape and red cable housing look fresh, albeit not well routed at the bars. If it shifts and rides okay, I'd leave cables and chain alone. Maybe new brake pads but honestly, I'd hit those with some sandpaper and reinstall if I'm flipping.

Those are flint catchers attached to the brake bolts. Designed to keep debris off the tire. Just a novelty nowadays. Leave them on and let the buyer decide if he wants them.

Clean up the dirt and light surface rust and I agree with your estimate. I'd list at $140 and take any offer over $100.
Thanks for the tips. It shifts okay, but definitely needs adjustment. The chain can be pushed passed the high gear on the free wheel and fall on to the axle. I don't think its supposed to do that

And what about the tires? They look okay to me, but are new tires a strong selling point? Maybe those tire saver things did their job lol.
Old 08-16-16, 07:34 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
I would agree with the 150ish estimates...good looking bike...and...btw...those are "Tire Savers" not "flint catchers"...they are used more often on tubular tires...
Thanks, I continue to learn something everyday. What's the difference?
Old 08-17-16, 10:21 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
The Univega is a nice looking, nice riding bike, it fits you well, and it suits your riding style these days.

Why not keep it and sell the racier, not-as-good-fitting Trek instead, and put more money in your pocket?
Old 08-17-16, 10:59 AM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
The Univega is a nice looking, nice riding bike, it fits you well, and it suits your riding style these days.

Why not keep it and sell the racier, not-as-good-fitting Trek instead, and put more money in your pocket?
Well that was my plan until I posted the Trek on here. Everyone suggested I keep the Trek because of how much better it is and I began to have second thoughts about selling it. Plus, I think I can sell the Univega quicker.

idk... I'm trying to think with my brain here and not be so sentimental. I wish I could just keep them all!
Old 08-17-16, 11:07 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
To me, the 560 is not special. I used to own one. I owned a couple of Univegas, which were also not special. The price you paid for the 560 is more than FMV, IMO. In New York, I wouldn't pay more than $275 for the 560.

Sell whichever one you don't want.
Old 08-17-16, 03:30 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimmyT
To me, the 560 is not special. I used to own one. I owned a couple of Univegas, which were also not special. The price you paid for the 560 is more than FMV, IMO. In New York, I wouldn't pay more than $275 for the 560.

Sell whichever one you don't want.
Thanks for the advice. That makes sense because I bought it for $280 but had to pay $60 in shipping.

I'd probably want to keep the Univega because it doesn't bother me when I hit pot holes and ****.
Old 08-17-16, 03:44 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Yeah, $340 for the 560 is too much. It has a dead-end suntour group and the frame takes a max tire size of 28mm. The Univega would probably handle a 650b conversion if you wanted fatter tires on there. In fact, it looks like it has 27" wheels on there now. If you went to 700c, then you could probably max out the tire size in the rear triangle, which is going to be the limitation. If you want to know what the max tire size is, measure the distance between the chainstays at 320mm from the axle. That should be pretty close.
Old 08-24-16, 03:07 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Univega sold today for $75.
Old 11-23-20, 10:05 AM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Giro with full Campagnolo Victory Groupset

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Univega is underrated

I got that exact model Univega Viva Sport... great city cruiser bike. Heavy but smooth ride and the Suntour Groupset is super durable and reliable 🙌🏽