Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yay. I rode my first "ride my age"

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yay. I rode my first "ride my age"

Old 10-02-20, 08:41 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
That's cool and congrats. Keep it up. I have lot's of friends who are in the 60-79 range and pull this off each year . So, keep on keeping on.
Old 10-03-20, 07:48 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats on the successful and fun birthday ride. I did something similar this past week. The mileage was not the focus but I did exceed my age. It was more about completing a designated challenging ride. No doubt the birthday ride is a nice way to stay motivated to train and stay in shape as we age. Keep on moving; best way to feel younger than the number
Old 10-10-20, 08:15 PM
Peaches1634

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed. Great job!
Old 10-31-20, 01:16 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Since I posted this, the corrosion under my car made it unsafe to drive, and more expensive to fix than I could get back from it by selling it after, so it went to scrap for $125.

I now get to live the joyous and carefree life of the "Living Car Free" crowd, just in time for 40℉ temps and rain raining almost constantly for days. I splurged on a rain shell (Viking Torrent, jacket and pants), and got it just in time to be needed, and it has kept me warm and dry in the cold and wet.
Old 10-31-20, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Since I posted this, the corrosion under my car made it unsafe to drive, and more expensive to fix than I could get back from it by selling it after, so it went to scrap for $125.

I now get to live the joyous and carefree life of the "Living Car Free" crowd, just in time for 40℉ temps and rain raining almost constantly for days. I splurged on a rain shell (Viking Torrent, jacket and pants), and got it just in time to be needed, and it has kept me warm and dry in the cold and wet.
In this crazy year, I've have a least twice the miles on my bike I just bought at the end of March than I do my wife's car and mine put together. If next year continues to be so...... unique, then I'll have to consider getting rid of one. Insurance savings alone will buy a nice bike every three or four years.

Kudos for being brave enough to be car free. I'm not sure I can do it.
Old 11-07-20, 08:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Congratulations. That is a big deal.

As we get older i would argue we we should do the inverse, but I sure don’t want to do the math!

Old 07-22-21, 06:26 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I don't often stand and mash, thanks to my tried and true old (OLD) biopace triple chainring, but on the steeper parts of that segment I was stand-n-mashing for all I was worth. The only thing that could have made it worse would be doing the slog up the Pere Marquette "Scenic Drive" which someone told me they thought it was the longest climb in Illinois? (the question mark was theirs. )
That's a nice loop. About ten miles, starting and ending at the same point in the campgrounds. I didn't know Elsah had a store.
Old 07-24-21, 04:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
That sounds like a really great ride. 👍

I ride a few centuries every year, but I will consider myself extremely fortunate if I ride one when/if I reach 100. I’m now left wondering at what point I won’t be able to ride my age?