Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Front Pannier Rack??

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Front Pannier Rack??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 06:12 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Front Pannier Rack??

So I am starting to think about winter projects and the above comes to mind. I built my frame set at Doug Fattic's school and have been riding it since March and loving it! I am thinking about a rack and since I fabricated a rear one I would like to try a front one that would handle my Ortlieb front panniers. We currently have Tubus Taras on our touring bikes and I kinda like the way they function. But the 1/2" tubing seems quite "bulky" for my 650b bike.
So would appreciate your input as I start planning.
Thanks!
Old 10-16-20, 06:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
does the fork have any mounts?
Old 10-16-20, 06:33 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

No. So I will be doing a repaint on the fork. I wasn't sure about a rack and I was really anxious to paint and ride!!
Old 10-16-20, 07:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think 5/16 should work fine. I like the idea of lowriders combined with a randonneuring rack.
Old 10-17-20, 06:05 AM
Tandem Tom

I currently have a VO Randonneur rack with my dyno light attached to it. VO makes a front pannier/Randonneur combo rack but I want to have them as seperate units as I will only use the panniers occasionally.
Other than the Tubus "design" are you familiar with any other? As for the mid-fork attachment will a threaded boss be enough?
Old 10-17-20, 09:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

As usual, I haven't done it yet, but I plan on building the French constructeur design of low rider. Does the V.O. rack have any extra places to bolt to? You need to stabilize the front top of the lowrider, but it doesn't take that much.

For reference, something like this Norther front rack. I had some of the "MAP" rack mounts cut from stainless, but you can get steel ones from framebuilder supply
Most recent custom made 650b Randonneur frame set. 59cm frame, Compass cp1 rack w/o light mount, and detachable lowriders made to fit it. We also used the Compass hard mount studs, and taillight mount. Henry James lugs, Columbus SL main tubes, Cromor rear by Norther Cycles, on Flickr

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-17-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 09:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The Tubus would be easy enough to copy, and would work with your rando rack. I think that bottle bosses should be fine, depending on how much you plan on putting in your panniers. Lead bricks might argue for the 6mm through mounts
Old 10-17-20, 10:36 AM
Tandem Tom

I've given up on lead brick. I just carry my Gold!!
The VO rack tués in at the canti post.
Old 10-17-20, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

is it this vo rack? https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...tainless-steel
I meant tying into two of the 4 eyelets on that. I assume you would want to double up on the one the light is attached to
of course, you could braze on another eyelet as well, since it's stainless
Old 10-17-20, 02:28 PM
Tandem Tom

My rack is a bit different. It attaches to the canti studs and there is a threaded rod that goes through the crown. I think it was an older style.
Old 10-17-20, 03:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

but it's stainless, right? get some eyelets and attach stabilizers to them like on that Norther rack. Or maybe look through flickr to see if you can find any better examples

I saw one last time I looked that wasn't centered on the axle very well and I figured the user was going to be somewhat unhappy with it if there was much weight