Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Unclipping issue

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Unclipping issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 05:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This is how I started, except my cleats were not nailed on. Except for riding in traffic with a lot of lights and I kept one strap loose, I would always reach down and loosened my right strap. It is a learned technique, but only one foot comes out so you learn to remove that foot.

Unless someone makes a concerted effort to change and learn to remove either foot, it just stays like that regardless of pedal type. Even on platform pedals the right foot goes down.

John
Yep, I'd say that's true. What cured me of that though was when I started riding a mountain bike on single track back in the early 90's. I have given that up in favor of a fat bike now (much more forgiving and less chance of injury) for riding only in the winter. So on my fatbike it's either foot and I do ride that with clipless pedals.

What you say is true, when I'm on my road or gravel bike, it's the same foot every time. We really are creatures of habit and muscle memory is hard to overcome after years of doing it the same way.

I tried flats for my fatbike a couple of years ago but after spending some time really paying attention to pedaling technique and what I saw on the power meter in terms of improvement with that technique, I'm pretty much a full on clipless guy.

J.
Old 11-22-20, 07:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Like so many learned skills, it's about repeating in a consistent fashion until you don't have to think/worry/ponder about it. This shouldn't be news to anyone. One factor that may not be self evident is the tightness of the retention mech. Many clipless newbies who worry about falling while trapped to the bike set their retention very loosely. Ideally, the release motion will be quick and positive. A loose pedal may allow slop and opportunity for the heel to move off the horizontal. What should have been a quick, short flick of the heel becomes a spastic thrash with a bad result. I don't think this is OP's problem since he's been using clipless for years. May help some others.