Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy to Ultegra Hood Length

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 10:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2569 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts

Have ridden Campy for umpteen years with the brake/shift levers within easy reach of the bars. With the Campys, I would ride 90% of the time with my hands on the hoods. My new Ultegra hoods are stretched out about 2 or 3X in comparison which really forces me to stretch out more for braking/shifting (brifters). Have others that have made this change gone to a shorter stem to bring the brifters closer, or just lived with them? Not thrilled with bringing the bars closer since they feel right, but don’t quite know what to do (Switching to a Campy gruppo is not the high priced answer I am looking for <- Preempitive negation).

Old 11-12-20, 11:57 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Interesting dilemma. I'm assuming you don't want to bring the bars in closer because they feel right in the drops at current distance?
Old 11-12-20, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Yeah, I really noticed that on my new bike, with the latest 105, compared to my other bikes with ~2006 Chorus and Veloce. The new bike has a shorter 'Reach' measurement than either of the older bikes but I end up equally stretched out on the hoods.

Depending on what you've got now, you could try a bar with less reach?

There's also bar angle, but of course you don't want to tilt that up so much you can't brake and shift from the drops.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-12-20, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
If 90% of your riding is with your hands in one spot, I would focus on making that the comfortable distance. If you bring the 105 levers in closer either by way of shorter reach bars, shorter stem, or both- you will solve 90% of the issue.

I wouldnt base my fit of a 3 hour ride on the 18minutes where my hands are in the drops or on the tops.

Im not sure what being stretched out 2 or 3x in comparison means, since Shimano hoods dont make you stretch twice the distance as Campy hoods...that isnt physically possible Regardless, if you only change the bars and get bars like Specialized Short Reach 65mm, then you will have the hoods 1-1.5cm closer than they are now and the distance to the tops of the bar would stay the same. Thatd help since the 10% your arent on your hoods, some of that time is on the tops.
Obviously if you need more than 1-1.5cm of adjustment, then the stem would be next. Reducing the stem by 10mm and the bars by 15mm makes your reach to the bars 1 inch closer than it is right now.
Old 11-12-20, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I am leaning toward a shorter stem which should reduce the reach 25%.

Thanks for the replies.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-20, 09:02 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd just try a 10mm shorter stem first, unless you don't like your handlebar reach. I know that Trek makes some odd choices with 100mm reach bars and 80mm stems, where I'd choose the opposite, to give more clearance when riding out of the saddle. FWIW, SRAM mechanical levers are nearly identical in reach to Campy. I switched to force axs with no issues.
Old 11-13-20, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Do they actually measure that much different than your Campy?

The Ultegra R8070 STI's seemed shorter to me than my 105 5800 STI's of my previous bike. But when I got down to investigating, they measure the same from the point on the bar they sit to the top of the hood. It was just the curve of the bar being different from the other bar as well as where they sat on that curve.
Old 11-15-20, 10:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Iride01
Do they actually measure that much different than your Campy?

The Ultegra R8070 STI's seemed shorter to me than my 105 5800 STI's of my previous bike. But when I got down to investigating, they measure the same from the point on the bar they sit to the top of the hood. It was just the curve of the bar being different from the other bar as well as where they sat on that curve.
They are exactly 1” longer. Sounds like get a 1” inch shorter stem.

Old 11-19-20, 08:23 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
go back to Campy
Old 11-19-20, 12:06 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
the newer campy levers have longer reach as well, just have to get use to it unless you can source 2000 10 speed records
Old 11-21-20, 07:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've owned every version of Campy levers since the days of 8 speed. There has never been a significant change to the brake hood reach, that would require even a 10mm reduction in stem length.