Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS Rear Sprocket/Wheel Bearing Noise

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 06:06 AM
NoGearsNoFears

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX's and Genesis Day One 10's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, this is my first post on this site so please forgive any initial blunders such as repeated subjects that have already been done to death or posts in the wrong section etc

My question on this occasion is has anybody experienced a cracking/pinging type noise from the rear wheel of their SS bike that doesn't seem to be the bearings? I have recently purchased a used Genesis Day One 10 and as a matter of course I stripped out and replaced most bearings as it was in a bit of a neglected state with mud in just about every tube and hole you could find. Anyway, all was well for a few rides and then noises started from the rear wheel so I repeated the bearing strip/grease process and again all was well for a few rides then it started again. One of the cups is a bit pitted but nothing excessive and there is no play when the cones are tightened and they run freely with no binding etc.. I am now wondering if it could one or more of the following reasons instead and would appreciate your thoughts before spending on parts that I don't need to spend on.

(1) I fitted a Sturmey Archer Sprocket which is quite 'fat' and because they have raised areas on the face it required the use of a spacer/washer to avoid it hitting the frame drop-out. *Could the additional washer be causing a slight change to the chain line that I'm not spotting, or when the track nuts are tightened could it somehow prevent the sprocket from running freely when under load? The wheels spins easily and smooth when I let it freewheel though which makes me think it's not those bearings.

(2) I have noticed that the chain is 1/8" but the sprocket I put on is 3/32". *Would that cause a 'meshing' problem and possibly noise if they are not the same size?

(3) My chain tension was quite tight which I suppose would get worse when it passed through those natural 'tight spots' during each rotation. *Could an excessively tight chain put too much tension/strain on the sprocket when it's attempting to turn and then possible cause the noises I've mentioned?

Sorry for the lengthy 1st post but I have a habit of trying to cover every detail which ends up in a waffling ramble

Last edited by NoGearsNoFears; 11-23-20 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-23-20, 10:55 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGearsNoFears
(1) Could the additional washer be causing a slight change to the chain line that I'm not spotting, or when the track nuts are tightened could it somehow prevent the sprocket from running freely when under load?
Maybe, but probably not.

(2) I have noticed that the chain is 1/8" but the sprocket I put on is 3/32". *Would that cause a 'meshing' problem and possibly noise if they are not the same size?
Nope. 1/8" chains work fine on 3/32" teeth (but not the other way around).

(3) *Could an excessively tight chain put too much tension/strain on the sprocket when it's attempting to turn and then possible cause the noises I've mentioned?
Yes.

Also, check your spokes for even tension, and for catching and rubbing where they cross. Look to see if there are any cracks in the rim at the spoke holes, or where the spoke heads engage with the hub flange.

Last edited by Rolla; 11-23-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 11:08 AM
NoGearsNoFears

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX's and Genesis Day One 10's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do the checks as soon as I get the chance.